The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Maturin

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Maturin » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:20 am

Raid wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:08 am
Buying stuff for home delivery from Ikea.

I finally have my completion date for my home purchase, which is pretty imminent. I'm not taking a lot of furniture with me, and I'm going to need to furnish an entire living / dining room. I like Ikea stuff; it's well thought out and easy to put together, while still being reasonably priced. What it isn't, is easy to buy. Clearly you can't turn up to the shop in an average car and take a sofa home with you, not that I drive anyway, so large items are going to need to be delivered. Ikea's website is horrendous for doing this.

-Firstly not every item is available for delivery. Ok, fine, there's at least a filter so that you can weed those options out.
-Then not every deliverable item is available from every store. It does not tell you until you've clicked onto individual item pages. Availability for delivery differs by colour / style, so items that show up as deliverable actually aren't, as the above filter doesn't remove items where just a single colour / style is deliverable.
-Then not every item is available immediately, and there is nowhere I can see that tells you this before you go to select a delivery date in the checkout process.

So I put together my wish list over the last few months, carefully choosing by checking dimensions and arranging everything on a scaled plan of the living room. I add everything to my basket to check how much lead time I need to give it. The closest delivery date is in September. I will be moving in mid July, and don't particularly want to wait two months before I can use my living room. I now have to remove items from the basket until I work out which one is causing the delivery delay by trial and error, having to click through multiple pages each time.

It was the dining chairs. I now have to choose new dining chairs. ](*,)
Congrats on the new place!

I know what you mean about furnishing after a house move. It's often best to start off with some old stuff from family/friends if you're lucky, until you can get what you want delivered brand new. There's usually someone I know, somewhere who's looking to get rid of a sofa or an armchair.

I think I gave up on Ikea years ago. Trying out a suite in their store only to be almost laughed at for daring to ask if I could have it in a colour I liked and within a couple of months. Ended up going to local furniture places instead.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:56 pm

Try somewhere like Gumtree, Raid, some bargains to be found there.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:08 am

Maturin wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:20 am
Raid wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:08 am
Buying stuff for home delivery from Ikea.

I finally have my completion date for my home purchase, which is pretty imminent. I'm not taking a lot of furniture with me, and I'm going to need to furnish an entire living / dining room. I like Ikea stuff; it's well thought out and easy to put together, while still being reasonably priced. What it isn't, is easy to buy. Clearly you can't turn up to the shop in an average car and take a sofa home with you, not that I drive anyway, so large items are going to need to be delivered. Ikea's website is horrendous for doing this.

-Firstly not every item is available for delivery. Ok, fine, there's at least a filter so that you can weed those options out.
-Then not every deliverable item is available from every store. It does not tell you until you've clicked onto individual item pages. Availability for delivery differs by colour / style, so items that show up as deliverable actually aren't, as the above filter doesn't remove items where just a single colour / style is deliverable.
-Then not every item is available immediately, and there is nowhere I can see that tells you this before you go to select a delivery date in the checkout process.

So I put together my wish list over the last few months, carefully choosing by checking dimensions and arranging everything on a scaled plan of the living room. I add everything to my basket to check how much lead time I need to give it. The closest delivery date is in September. I will be moving in mid July, and don't particularly want to wait two months before I can use my living room. I now have to remove items from the basket until I work out which one is causing the delivery delay by trial and error, having to click through multiple pages each time.

It was the dining chairs. I now have to choose new dining chairs. ](*,)
Congrats on the new place!

I know what you mean about furnishing after a house move. It's often best to start off with some old stuff from family/friends if you're lucky, until you can get what you want delivered brand new. There's usually someone I know, somewhere who's looking to get rid of a sofa or an armchair.

I think I gave up on Ikea years ago. Trying out a suite in their store only to be almost laughed at for daring to ask if I could have it in a colour I liked and within a couple of months. Ended up going to local furniture places instead.
+1 to this mate - get yourself in and deal with the myriad things that will need dealing with, while furnishing the house in a way that meets requirements. Over time, bring things to where you want them. That way lies sanity. Also, buy tools. At minimum I would suggest a drill and some bits, some rawlplugs and screws (now you can put stuff on the walls), a hammer, a tape measure, a spirit level, some screwdrivers and a pipework/wiring detector. You absolutely will pick up more as you go.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:22 am

Thanks chaps. I'm hopefully going to be having the week immediately following the completion date off work, and the aim is to get, at minimum, my bed, PC desk and living room set up during that week, as well as having a working internet connection by the end. It's another relatively new build home and has fibre to the house, so I'll be getting a 150Mb connection (a little slower than what my current housemate and I have here, but plenty fast for one person). With it being so new (and the sellers had kept it in really pristine condition last I saw it), there's not an awful lot I'm going to need to do with it hopefully. There's a single wall they've stuck some fairly ugly wallpaper on which'll need painting.

Man am I looking forward to this. I've been stuck living out of basically one room for two years, and while it's hardly been hellish, now that I'm working from home it's become more critical that I have more space.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:28 am

I moved into a bigger flat to share with my girlfriend last year and faced a similar challenge of pretty much buying entirely new furniture, I think only three big pieces came across with me and the rest I bought new over a couple of months after moving in.

It took 15 weeks to arrive but I bought my first ever non-charity shop brand new sofa from sofasofa.com and it's one of my favourite purchases ever. They were very good service wise too in terms of keeping me updated and arranging delivery, so I would recommend them if you're looking for a new sofa.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:57 am

Plumbers. The shower knob has completely broken, leaving the shower unable to fully turn off (it's an ancient electric one in dire need of replacement anyway). With any other similar situation in life, you'd contact the appropriate professional and they'd come and sort it as agreed. But no, for this I have to deal with plumbers.

Why is it every plumber I have ever dealt with is completely unreliable? I get that they're busy and deal with emergencies, but electricians and builders do too and they always seem on the ball. Half of plumbers never pick up the phone or answer emails, and the ones that do either say they can't help with your burst pipe for another 3 months or say they'll be there at x o'clock and then never turn up.

The one I finally managed to get through to this morning said he'd get back to me within the hour. He did not. ](*,)

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:31 pm

People who leap before they look:

The Spanish national anthem has no lyrics.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:00 pm

:lol:

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:31 pm

Thanks to our wonderful and just system, I'm currently being fucked to the point of not being able to afford a roof over my head, largely because I'm still paying 50% of the mortgage on the marital home, and Frau McTwinkletwat is screwing me for child maintenance.

Am I against contributing financially to the welfare of my children? Not at all! I regularly splash out on them - days out to interesting places, toys, clothes, food, etc. - they are well provided for. None of that matters though. It also doesn't matter that at present I have about £400 to my name and a '63 plate Alfa Romeo, whilst she is fucking minted. Multiple properties, tens of thousands stashed - and that's just the money I know of. Earns at least double what I do.

Nope. Doesn't matter at all. So fuck me for walking away from a terrible situation, and fuck me again for staying in my lane and trying to do the right thing.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE by 'eck. Fuck all of this reyt up th'arse.

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:37 pm

Correndous Hunt wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:31 pm
Thanks to our wonderful and just system, I'm currently being fucked to the point of not being able to afford a roof over my head, largely because I'm still paying 50% of the mortgage on the marital home, and Frau McTwinkletwat is screwing me for child maintenance.

Am I against contributing financially to the welfare of my children? Not at all! I regularly splash out on them - days out to interesting places, toys, clothes, food, etc. - they are well provided for. None of that matters though. It also doesn't matter that at present I have about £400 to my name and a '63 plate Alfa Romeo, whilst she is fucking minted. Multiple properties, tens of thousands stashed - and that's just the money I know of. Earns at least double what I do.

Nope. Doesn't matter at all. So fuck me for walking away from a terrible situation, and fuck me again for staying in my lane and trying to do the right thing.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE by 'eck. Fuck all of this reyt up th'arse.
I'm sorry but that did make me laugh at loud :lol:

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:09 pm

That's one of the nicer names I have for her.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:38 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:57 am
Plumbers. The shower knob has completely broken, leaving the shower unable to fully turn off (it's an ancient electric one in dire need of replacement anyway). With any other similar situation in life, you'd contact the appropriate professional and they'd come and sort it as agreed. But no, for this I have to deal with plumbers.

Why is it every plumber I have ever dealt with is completely unreliable? I get that they're busy and deal with emergencies, but electricians and builders do too and they always seem on the ball. Half of plumbers never pick up the phone or answer emails, and the ones that do either say they can't help with your burst pipe for another 3 months or say they'll be there at x o'clock and then never turn up.

The one I finally managed to get through to this morning said he'd get back to me within the hour. He did not. ](*,)
Checkatrade is your friend here, I never deal with anyone who is not top ranked on there. Raid, another item for your homeowners list :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:28 am

So I moved house at the weekend. It was as stressful as the process generally is, but I'm in, my stuff is here (albeit in boxes still), and I'm off work to get everything sorted. One of those things is my internet connection; it's a relatively new build so I can have fibre to the home. I had ordered the service to start on friday, but got a text earlier in the week to say that an Openreach engineer would be visiting the property to install the necessary kit. Well, I knew that the previous occupants had a fibre connection so figured this was unnecessary, but as I had limited time to respond to the message I just changed my activation date on BT's website to the monday instead, figuring that I would be busy moving over the weekend so it wouldn't make much difference. Half an hour later I get a text telling me to ignore the previous message as I didn't need anyone to visit the house. I now can't change the activation date back to the friday. I then get another text saying they can't do the monday so they've changed the date to the tuesday (today).

I wake up this morning to an e-mail saying that my activation has happened. My router won't connect. I check to make sure it's connected to the Openreach modem correctly, I reboot it a couple of times, still no joy. I then notice there are no lights on the modem.

The previous owners took the sodding power supply for the modem with them when they moved.

I hadn't noticed there was anything missing because the modem is mounted so low to the ground and the ports are on the underside. There's a cable that runs through the wall and an Openreach box on the exterior of the house, so I didn't realise it actually had a separate PSU. BT have been surprisingly helpful, and I have an Openreach engineer coming tomorrow morning to either swap out the modem or just give me a power supply, but I've already used 75% of my monthly data allowance on my mobile (I did watch an entire grand prix over it on sunday, admittedly) and I'm now having to buy £5 a day unlimited data addons to make sure I actually have some data available when I'm out and about.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:54 am

Raid wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:28 am
The previous owners took the sodding power supply for the modem with them when they moved.
Sorry, this shouldn't be funny, but damn that's a proper dick move. :lol:

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:23 am

Surprised no-one's mentioned the heat in here yet. :)
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗