Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:30 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:54 am
Sorry, this shouldn't be funny, but damn that's a proper dick move. :lol:
Yeah, if I wasn't so annoyed, I'd probably find it funny too. All of my entertainment comes from the Internet, and the phone signal where I am now isn't particularly reliable, so although my tethered phone is working well enough for low-res Youtube and Spotify, it's painfully slow to load any webpages, it's like there's a 10 second latency every time I request a new page.

They also took every lightbulb in the house and I think they had a Ring doorbell which is of course gone, so I don't even have a working doorbell. They're hardly the worst problems in the world; I was expecting to replace most of the lightbulbs with Hue ones anyway, and I'm tempted to get another Ring doorbell now that I know I have the mounting holes already drilled, but it's just lots of little things that add up. I'm living by myself now, so it's all on me to fix.
Hatredsheart wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:23 am
Surprised no-one's mentioned the heat in here yet. :)
The heat. Seriously, building heavy furniture and shifting a lot of heavy boxes in 25 degree heat is no fun at all. I also can't retrieve my cat from my former housemate yet because I need to keep her (the cat, that is) indoors for at least a couple of weeks to teach her that this is her new home, and I can't do that if I have all of the windows open.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:03 am

Yeah, I've not been sleeping well for about a month now due to noise and work stress, so the introduction of a heatwave has left me wandering around in a semi-conscious daze most of the time. I made some cold brew coffee overnight in an attempt to caffeinate and cool myself at the same time, but I made it too strong and now I can feel my eyeballs pulsating.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:22 am

Yeah I managed to get some sleep last night but then got interrupted at 3-4 o clock by someone's house alarm that kept going on until 6 and a WWE match between the neighbours cats.

So now I look and feel like I've been run over.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:37 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:03 am
Yeah, I've not been sleeping well for about a month now due to noise and work stress, so the introduction of a heatwave has left me wandering around in a semi-conscious daze most of the time. I made some cold brew coffee overnight in an attempt to caffeinate and cool myself at the same time, but I made it too strong and now I can feel my eyeballs pulsating.
I ran out of coffee before the move. I can't walk into town to buy some as there are so many people delivering things (frequently expensive that I can't leave out in the sun) and nobody else in the house to receive them. Also, I live at the top of a hill (up past the cathedral for Wrath's benefit) which is not pleasant to walk up in this heat - it's a solid 10-15 minutes of climbing, and although I'm not completely averse to the exercise, I used to live by the (very flat) riverside and my legs aren't used to the incline yet.

I haven't slept particularly well over the last week and a half. I started my new role proper on the monday before the move, so I had to adjust my sleep schedule slightly, and now I can't seem to sleep past about 6am. Then there was the anxiety over the house move, and now there's the heat. I think this morning was the first time I'd slept beyond 7am in two weeks.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:34 pm

My cat brought two presents in this morning at 05:30:

1. Half a mouse
2. The other half
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:43 pm

Drarok wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:34 pm
My cat brought two presents in this morning at 05:30:

1. Half a mouse
2. The other half
Was it like that old Wrigley's Doublemint ad?

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:07 pm

I'm reminded of a joke as old as me - What's worse than finding a worm in your apple? Finding half a worm.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:25 pm

My cat is a terrible hunter, thankfully, or there simply wasn't enough wildlife for her to find at my old place (it was a brownfield site and there's minimal vegetation on that estate). I did notice that my new garden is however full of tiny frogs (less than an inch long), so I do wonder how many of those I'm going to find in the house once she moves in with me. Out the front is a very well established natural pond, so I'm sure there'll be lots of things in there for her to catch too.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:23 am

I'm able to sleep ok through the night, thanks to a fan blasting directly into my face, but it's so hot to late that I'm only able to stand going to bed gone midnight, which thanks to the early rise for the school routine means I'm flagging a bit, energy-wise. Roll on the summer hols...

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:28 am

It is soon going to pass thankfully, but a neat little life hack for you - get your loft hatch open. The hot air trapped upstairs by all the things we have in our houses to insulate them can then escape into the loft and our of your soffits. Makes an appreciable difference.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:34 am

But what are you letting into the house that was up there?!?
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:56 pm

My attic was about 6,000° when I went up at 09:00 the other day to bring the fans down, not sure how much help it'd be to open that up!
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Alan wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:34 am
Well apparently Sly is letting one of his fans in who "blasts" him in the face while he's "asleep".

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:47 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:38 pm
Alan wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:34 am
Well apparently Sly is letting one of his fans in who "blasts" him in the face while he's "asleep".
:lol:

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:18 pm

Sleeping issues, eh?

I have recently been taking Diazepam and Zopiclone - all to no avail. I have tried every fhhhuuuucking trick in the book - physical exercise to the point of exhaustion, breathing techniques and / or meditation, mental stimulation... EVERYTHING. In the end my GP was all "I give up. Eat these pills".

The pills don't work. THE PILLS DO NOT WORK.