The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Animalmother
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:02 pm

Back to moaning then.

It's always around this time of year my allergies start to kick in. I've no idea what sets it off but for the past 3 days I've been sneezing and nose has been running like a tap. I'm currently walking around with tissue stuffed up each nostril, miserable and feeling very sorry for myself :( I've taken 2 antihistamines today already which is not a good idea, I'll be like a zombie later.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:22 pm

Could be Ivy or Cedar pollen, they are flowering at the moment.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:37 pm

Snowy messaged me on steam about this. Lotta water under the bridge and I've had a few German lagers earlier.

The reason I left after 10ish years of posting on PW and TGA was the way the views I hold were being spoken about. Mantis, you mention here about my participation in the "elephant in the room" thread being my own choice, you are quite right there, I could have "not read" it, but the attitudes towards people with my views were littered through many other threads here.
When I expressed a certain reticence about political discussion I think I was trying to appeal to sense and pull the forum back to the friendly place it was. It had turned from friendly to post in, to an echo chamber of derision and disgust. It's hard to expect people to "not read" much less want to put across an alternative point of view. I read so much about the tolerant left and I'm told my frankly conservative point of view is not. Despite media portrayal of people with conservative views, I am not a bigot, nor a racist, nor a homophobe or whatever. I can confidently say that considering my continuing march into old age I had friends from all manner of minorities long before it was "socially fashionable". We were just decent to folk we met and treated others how we wanted to be treated ourselves.
Anyway to say the word "alienated" here would round it off. I get it and the place has that "student union bar" sort of feel to it that maybe I got too old for (in the head at least, 24 years of military service not withstanding), it suits the views of others here nicely though and I accept that much, the debate around the time so highly polarised. Sadly I dont think the world, let alone the forum has changed much on from then. So, not recognising myself here at the time I chose to not engage here anymore. No hard feelings but I'll leave you guys to it on a sad day where another MP is killed.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:44 pm

Will respect your choices mate, but from my point of view you've been much missed and hope you'll stick around, or failing that at least pop in from time to time.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:17 am

Glad to see your still about mate and hope all's good with you.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:31 am

I think I can understand Jez' leaving. I consider this place my home on the internet, same as with Preys World before it. Still, if there'd been a vocal pro-Brexit majority here, I would have had to reconsider my participation too, I just feel that strongly about it.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:16 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:44 pm
Will respect your choices mate, but from my point of view you've been much missed and hope you'll stick around, or failing that at least pop in from time to time.
This. Be well my twin :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:30 pm

On an entirely different note;

I've been having a hell of a lot of trouble sleeping over the last few weeks. I recently came off a medication I'd been on for several years, one of the side effects of which was a mild sedative, and it was taken just before I was going to bed. Now that I don't have that affecting my brain, I've become an unnaturally light sleeper. My brain just doesn't shut off like I'm used to, and nothing I've tried to relax is working, and I really don't want to go back to medication to solve the problem. Unfortunately my cat has a tendency to use her litter tray throughout the night, and she'll sit and scrape at the sides of the tray pointlessly trying to cover her business for up to ten minutes afterward. This is loud. Once this wakes me up, I struggle to get back to sleep, and so I've been getting maybe 4 or 5 hours a night consistently for two weeks.

Anyway, you know what I really didn't need to help this situation? Last night I stubbed a toe so hard the nail separated from the bed - there was blood. It's not hugely painful this morning, but it does mean that I can't have anything (a duvet or sock for example) touching the end of my toes on one foot.

This is the third sodding time this year I've been in a situation where I can't walk properly (shingles, gout, now this), and I am really fed up with temporarily losing my mobility.

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:55 pm

Have you tried drinking a warm glass of water with honey before you got to sleep? I find it helps me sleep

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:06 pm

Or meditation.

I do a bit every morning and every night before bed and I'm out like a light now. I used to toss and turn for an hour before finally nodding off.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:09 pm

Can't think of one wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:55 pm
Have you tried drinking a warm glass of water with honey before you got to sleep? I find it helps me sleep
Not a bad shout. I've had success with warm milk in the past, but it gives me acid reflux these days.

...unfortunately for the moment I can't walk to the shop to buy anything. :P

Mantis wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:06 pm
Or meditation.

I do a bit every morning and every night before bed and I'm out like a light now. I used to toss and turn for an hour before finally nodding off.
Tried it. I have a subscription to Headspace through work, and although it's very relaxing for the duration I'm doing it, my mind seems to just switch back on the moment I put my head on the pillow.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:13 pm

Try doing similar breathing exercises when you're actually in bed, that's what sends me off. I just lay flat on my back and focus on my breathing.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:56 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:06 pm
Or meditation.

I read this as medication initially, and then the rest of your post and Raids reply scratching my head :lol:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:21 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:16 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:44 pm
This. Be well my twin :)
Thirded from moi, that distant voice from across the Atlantic ;)
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:39 pm

Cop26

Overlooking the idiocy of private jetting word leaders across the planet to talk to each other about fucking up the planet during a pandemic - Glasgow is going to be a nightmare for the next month! They’ve built anew hotel, spitting distance from 4 other hotels. It looks like the waterfront will be pretty much shut down for over two weeks and among the many road closures is the Clydeside expressway which is going to be shut for :? over two weeks! The expressway is a busy dual carriageway that saves a massive number of vehicles driving through the city and now it will send them right past my home. I wouldn’t be surprised if my 20min commute home from work becomes a 90min slog. #-o

It’s not like it’ll change a damn thing anyway!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.