The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:27 am

Real life David Brents. During lockdown we've had regular insufferable video updates from our board of directors, but none more so than the marketing director who insists on theming each video around a film complete with editing gimmicks to show how terribly funny and creative he is. The latest one ends with him showcasing himself as a series of animated avatars (because he's getting used to living in the virtual world - do you see? DO YOU SEE?), including a pirate and the poo emoji. I'm going to have permanent scars from where I was clawing through my forehead.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:56 am

What's your company called? Purgatory?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:08 pm

Certainly feels that way at times.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:09 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:27 am
Real life David Brents. During lockdown we've had regular insufferable video updates from our board of directors, but none more so than the marketing director who insists on theming each video around a film complete with editing gimmicks to show how terribly funny and creative he is. The latest one ends with him showcasing himself as a series of animated avatars (because he's getting used to living in the virtual world - do you see? DO YOU SEE?), including a pirate and the poo emoji. I'm going to have permanent scars from where I was clawing through my forehead.
Oh man that's bad. We are getting loads of video comms too (including some sodding awful BLM-influenced ones) but nothing quite that cringey. Take my approach, they have 5 minutes to cover something interesting before I take my headset off and browse the web on my home desktop instead.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:22 am

Oh, I'm always doing something else while watching them. None have yet demanded my full attention.

We've had zero mention of BLM from the corporate side of things, probably because the board of directors is glaringly, blindingly white.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:50 am

one of the golden rules of work - don't be the office clown
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:09 am

I hate my neighbours, all of them. Since the quarantine it's been nothing but squealing kids, yapping dogs, chainsaws, late night garden parties, loud shitty music, cats yowling, angle grinders at 8am on a Sunday morning and a multitude of other sonic Tom fuckery. Assholes :x

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:20 am

Animalmother wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:09 am
I hate my neighbours, all of them. Since the quarantine it's been nothing but squealing kids, yapping dogs, chainsaws, late night garden parties, loud shitty music, cats yowling, angle grinders at 8am on a Sunday morning and a multitude of other sonic Tom fuckery. Assholes :x
A skip has just appeared outside my next-door neighbours. I fear the worst. :(
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:20 am

Animalmother wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:09 am
Same here - I'm surrounded by shitbags. I've worn my noise cancelling headphones so much over the last 3 months that the contours of my head have remoulded to them.

It's not like you can take any realistic action either. The police round here won't do anything for noise complaints (I've asked), even taking social distancing breaches into account, and for the council to do anything there are endless and usually impossible hoops to jump through before they'll consider doing anything, which isn't much use at 2am when arsehole teenagers are screaming and shouting in the streets at the top of their voices. I cling to the hope that all these noisy fuckers will spontaneously combust.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:21 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:50 am
one of the golden rules of work - don't be the office clown
Yup, when it comes to promotion prospects it's all you'll be remembered for.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:22 am

It's funny, but the lady near us who provides the most noise related problems works on the local council and apparently is responsible for dealing with official noise complaints in the area. So the chances of a complaint against her getting anywhere are pretty slim. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:29 am

Thankfully the guy who lives in the other side of our semi-detached has had his partying curtailed (but not stopped, sadly) by the lockdown. There's also a new family who moved in a few doors down maybe two or three months back that seems to include 4 young children, and other than their playing outside at ungodly hours (I mean before 7am and after 11pm), I've been pleasantly surprised at how quiet they are.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:08 pm

I have similar neighbour issues.

We had a lovely old dear live in the other half of our semi detached house from when we moved in. Sadly she died, and from then the house stood empty for a couple of years. We then had her son turn up, nice fella who was a retiree, who advised that his son who was a builder was going to move in to tidy the place up.

Said builder is a mouth-breathing trout-sniffer of the highest order. About 7 feet tall and with every ounce of energy going into height rather than intellect as far as I can tell he has done nothing to the house apart from stick a massive square plastic box in the front garden (to fill with empty stella cans) as well as a cheap BBQ and some chairs, in order to have his equally cranially challenged mates over every single night that the weather permits, continuing unabated through lockdown. They sit there until the early hours, drooling mindless bollocks to one another. The latest invention is a crappy wood burner which they fire up, usually at 10-11pm, close to our bedroom window. This gives us the delightful option of a bedroom stinking of woodsmoke or windows closed and our sweltering.

I would happily go to work on his head with a power drill.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:25 pm

You surely have a case for calling the cops on the Edwin for that?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Last night my neighbours (with young kids, about 3 and 6) decided to have one of their nights where they throw concrete blocks about the house and fire up their earthquake-generating doomsday device. At least that's what I assume they're doing.

I'm getting more and more tempted to buy an airhorn that I'll blast whenever there's some noisy bastard making a racket nearby, with the intention of training them to shut the fuck up.
Animalmother wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:25 pm
You surely have a case for calling the cops on the Edwin for that?
If the police are anything like round here, they won't do a damn thing about noise complaints. You could phone them with a knife in your back and they'd probably ask you to put the murderer on to confirm it's a crime before coming out to assess the situation.