The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:00 pm

The whole notion of hosting an in-person international climate summit in a world where everyone has gotten used to video conferencing just seems a bit idiotic these days, doesn't it. Perhaps instead of flying, each world leader could hire a cruise ship to take them.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:19 pm

Haven't they already said that use of fossil fuels is going to increase for the the few decades so making the whole endeavour fucking pointless.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:30 pm

At this point I think it's safe to say that there is nowhere near enough appetite for change or consensus among the biggest economies in the world to actually act in time. We will be deep within the impacts of the crisis before any large scale, drastic movements are made.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:57 am

With the full knowledge that we are making the planet uninhabitable for our own species, but not unilaterally turning the focus of the entire world to stopping the damage, it makes you think that as a species we deserve extinction. Just a shame we will take so many other species with us.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:49 am

And, perfectly timed, a leaked document containing requests from national governments and other "interested parties" asking the UN to omit evidence from a climate change report.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58982445

For fucks sakes. I guess the plan is to make all of the money and delay actually fixing anything until it can be someone else's problem. I just don't get this attitude; surely you can acknowledge the report, tell the public that this isn't going to be easy, but just fucking try to do something about it.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:25 pm

I've just recently completed a 2-month stint volunteering for https://www.climateemergency.uk/ where we were scoring Local Authority Climate Action Plans according to a set list of questions, in order to establish a league table to get some sort of reliable way of holding councils to account. I learned an incredible amount from their program, and I would strongly urge you to view your local council's plan (if they have one, some councils still have not declared a Climate Emergency). We scored a total of 327 plans, marked by over 120 volunteers, in around 2,289 volunteer hours (an average of 7 hours a plan—but nearer 3 times that, as some were diabolical to parse through, I managed 4 councils altogether, and 2 took me multiple sessions as I lost the will to live!)

A local level is where we start to see real change, and the impetus build. At the moment it is more goals and hopes, but at least things are being quantified and realised, and put in front of scrutiny. It is up to the public to build pressure so that government funding can be directed, because the one thing clear at the moment is there is a great need for investment into how to bring change into effect.

It is quite alarming to see how disconnected from nature the modern human has become, not only in knowledge of the environment, but also in its relationship with food and how it is produced. The work that is to come has long, long been needed, because, ultimately the planet will continue, but humanity may not—and it really is that close.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:30 pm

Cop26 part 2

Can’t get near my house in a car, can’t walk to the bloody park because they’ve got argyle street all blocked and uncrossable. They’ve also removed all the charity donation bins around the areas where the big names will be driving in because got forbid we seem poor and/or charitable! And on same route they’ve hastily threw up some electric vehicle charging stations to pretend we’re ahead of the curve here.

Smoke and mirrors and bullshit. Just like the conference.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:49 pm

Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:18 am

I am so utterly exhausted by the sheer number of incompetent or malicious people in varying roles from the govt to my other half's workplace.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:41 am

Bit of a shitter - my brother-in-law who's in the police was chasing some scumbag though a train station and he's fallen on to the train tracks and more or less shattered his lower leg. Thankfully another police officer got him off the track before any trains came, but the outlook isn't great. 2 hours waiting for an ambulance and a further 3 hours waiting to be seen by a doctor in hospital.

Just... fuck. :(

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:52 am

Jesus, 5 hours waiting to be seen for a shattered leg? That's appalling, but sadly not terribly surprising these days. When I bust my toe a few weeks back, I had to fight with myself as to whether I ought to be going to see someone about it - it wasn't a difficult decision in the end as I'm well aware of the difficulties faced by A&E departments and knew that I'd be so far down the priority list that I would have been waiting a ridiculous amount of time.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:59 am

Raid wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:52 am
Jesus, 5 hours waiting to be seen for a shattered leg? That's appalling, but sadly not terribly surprising these days.
Yep. They told my sister to try and get him into a wheelchair and sit in triage as that might get them seen sooner, but the pain from trying to get him into the chair was so much that he almost went into a fit, which is finally what sent a doctor his way. It's not hard to see how the NHS could become quickly and dangerously overwhelmed from a combination of winter flu and covid, let alone shattered legs.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:29 pm

Fuck, people die from shattered bones not being treated in a timely manner. Him being a policeman and getting injured on the job should have gotten a quicker response you would think.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:21 pm

It’s worse than that even. He was alone and his emergency button (which is meant to send immediate support to him) didn’t work, so he had to get on the radio and explain that he was on the train tracks with a broken leg. His sergeant has gone ballistic and opened an inquiry as to how the emergency response failed and why it took 2 hours for an ambulance. When another officer found him he obviously had to get him off the track ASAP, but the effort in doing so has made the injury much worse. The word doctors used to describe the section of bone connecting his lower leg to the knee was ‘obliterated’.

Not a good day.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:09 pm

Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law mate, that sounds horrific. Hope he makes a full recovery.