The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Drarok

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Drarok » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:16 pm

In features almost certainly, and in social features 100% definitely... but I'm still not going to switch. It's a pain in the dick, and I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem in other ways anyway; My daily driver is an iPhone, I've got an iPad as well, a personal and work Mac, etc. Adding a family subscription makes sense when we're mostly using Apple stuff for everything else.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:44 am

Alan wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:32 am
People who say “daily driver”.
:lol:

Spotify works on all those devices and has a family plan but I’ve become a big fan of ditching my phone in favour of watch+AirPods. The only reason I’m even trying Apple Music is the watch support. I just wish more apps worked stand alone with data - Spotify for example.

Also maybe the add artist thing isn’t a massive issue but it sure is an irritant that’s seems a bit ridiculous.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:18 am

I keep getting static shocks off random objects. My life has become a sinister game of Russian Roulette, never knowing where the terror will strike next. Will that innocent door handle make me squeal like girl and flap my hands around in an undignified manner? The fear is real :(

It's a pain in the tits to say the least, got shocked off the escalator in Lidl yesterday and made an audible "Ahhfuckingbastard!!" cry.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:35 am

Wear natural fibres? Take off your nylon socks?

I tend to get shocks off my car door as I get out.
-- To be completed at some point --

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:42 am

I have a Christmas jumper that produces so much static that it makes loud crackles as I take it off. I essentially become Thor and gain the power of thunder for a short while.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:02 am

I get that every time I come off my chair, static shocks everywhere.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 am

Went to Las Vegas in October and it is the capital of static shocks I couldn't believe how many we were all getting.

Went to tap my mate on the shoulder coming out the airport and we had such a big shock it hurt, I looked down at my feet expecting to see burn marks.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:42 am

Anywhere that serves hot snacks, especially toast, that give butter portions that have been cooled with liquid nitrogen.
First World problems eh?
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:33 am

Train journeys where the system falls apart and nobody knows what the fuck is going on. I was over in Yorkshire this weekend and couldn't get back to Lancaster on Sunday due to all the flooding, so had to try and get back yesterday morning. It was pure chaos, as you might expect given the storms and the fact that it was rush hour with lines still flooded and with passengers, staff and trains displaced from the weekend. The only possible route was via Manchester, which was in a state beyond anything I'd ever seen there, with masses of people confused, tired, cold, angry and in some cases panicked. I saw one woman rush a leaving train and bang on the doors, screaming that it wasn't fair. She was probably right.

I spent 40 minutes stuck outside Deansgate with no information as to what was going on, followed by over an hour on a freezing platform waiting for any train that would get me closer to Lancaster. Staff were doing what they could, but they couldn't give any solid answers because the sheer amount of trains out of sync meant that predicting any outcome to a particular time was impossible. It didn't help that a platform staff member was running around shrieking urgent instructions for passengers to go to various platforms with the urgency and panic that you'd expect from a terrorist attack. It visibly scared some people.

I eventually got back after 5 hours, more or less twice what the journey normally takes. Today I'm exhausted, my anxiety is still bouncing off the rev limiter and I think I've got some sort of chill from getting frozen on the platform for so long. It's not anyone's fault, it was just a shitty situation which I hope never to experience again.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:14 pm

Trains in general. They're fucking shit, and priced to gouge the maximum from your wallet. Fuck any journey that involves more than one person, you'd be better off renting a bloody car than taking the train. Plus, the pricing is totally inscrutable! Take this weekend for example…

Yesterday I was looking to travel from my parents' house in the midlands to Oxford where I live, figured I'd get the train and it'd be simple and not cost the earth. Wrong. £41.90 for a single via Birmingham, taking 3h 20m. WTF?! It's a 1h 10m drive, around 70mi door to door, at 30MPG that's just under £13 of petrol.

I discovered I could more than halve the fare down to £17.50 if I could get a lift to the train station in the next town over, 8mi away. The fuck?!

Utterly fucking useless, every last bastard involved in the whole sorry mess.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:38 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:33 am
couldn't get back to Lancaster on Sunday due to all the flooding, so had to try and get back yesterday morning.
You weren't the only one. I know of two people who were trapped in London. Yes, London, they couldn't get out of the capitol, which just feels ridiculous.

We've not had it too badly this time around. The cycle path on my side of the river was underwater, but that's in front of the flood defenses so I don't think the properties behind it were affected.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:27 pm

Transport in this country in general is atrocious. Blame years and years of complete lack of investment in pretty much all major infrastructure.

The main eastbound route out of town to the south of the river has been closed for 3 working days now because they discovered on Thursday last week that there was a danger the bridge may collapse. One road three lane A Road in one direction being closed has led to utter pandemonium throughout pretty much the entire city for miles. I walk to work normally and haven't had to go out much lately luckily, but I did have to drop a car off at the office on Friday last week and it took me two hours to drive two miles. And that was coming in from the north to the city centre.

This country is just a joke. Every European country I've been to puts us to complete shame when it comes to this stuff.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:17 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:33 am
Train journeys where the system falls apart and nobody knows what the fuck is going on. I was over in Yorkshire this weekend and couldn't get back to Lancaster on Sunday due to all the flooding, so had to try and get back yesterday morning. It was pure chaos, as you might expect given the storms and the fact that it was rush hour with lines still flooded and with passengers, staff and trains displaced from the weekend. The only possible route was via Manchester, which was in a state beyond anything I'd ever seen there, with masses of people confused, tired, cold, angry and in some cases panicked. I saw one woman rush a leaving train and bang on the doors, screaming that it wasn't fair. She was probably right.

I spent 40 minutes stuck outside Deansgate with no information as to what was going on, followed by over an hour on a freezing platform waiting for any train that would get me closer to Lancaster. Staff were doing what they could, but they couldn't give any solid answers because the sheer amount of trains out of sync meant that predicting any outcome to a particular time was impossible. It didn't help that a platform staff member was running around shrieking urgent instructions for passengers to go to various platforms with the urgency and panic that you'd expect from a terrorist attack. It visibly scared some people.

I eventually got back after 5 hours, more or less twice what the journey normally takes. Today I'm exhausted, my anxiety is still bouncing off the rev limiter and I think I've got some sort of chill from getting frozen on the platform for so long. It's not anyone's fault, it was just a shitty situation which I hope never to experience again.
I was on the other side of that bullshit on Sunday.

Had a 2pm train to Manchester booked, got to Euston, and they'd shut the bloody gates so no one can get in, and no announcements or other info available.

I got there early specifically concerned about local lines, but expecting main lines to be ok.

Eventually they opened the doors at Euston, and it was carnage. People stampeded inside to find out if their trains were running, and there was pushing and shoving and all sorts as people rushed to a platform to get on any train they could before they inevitably filled.

I was lucky to be standing at the correct gate when they announced a train to Manchester, and managed to get a seat.

No trolley service, no restaurant, 50mph capped speed, and then it stopped at Rugby for 1 hour while they waited for the train FROM Manchester so they could swap staff half way.

I left London at around 1:40 after a bunch of waiting, and arrived at 7pm in Mancs.... ugh.

And it wasn't much more fun leaving there by plane yesterday either - Manchester's lovely airport security, delays on departures, and the delightful chap at the airport next to me in his brexit party t shirt strutting about like he was king of the world... not really the place for it imo... at least i made my connection in Amsterdam.... but jeez....
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 am

Reading those about the train gave me mild anxiety :? Now imagine what it would be like if there was a serious crisis and people needed to move quickly. Fuck all of that.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:49 pm

Yeah. I don't generally get bothered by the possibility of terrorist attacks given that you're more likely to die from a stampeding rhino attack*, but seeing unruly crowds in confined spaces like the other day is mildly concerning. All it would take is that spark of panic and a bad situation becomes a disastrous one.

I think I might just stay at home forever. Fuck all this stuff about getting out of your comfort zone - busy train stations and angry masses are horrible, comfort zones are comfy! :lol:

* I can't qualify this, but I bet it's not too far from the truth.