The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Rossell

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Rossell » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:15 pm

That sounds bloody awful. I have my fingers crossed for him.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:48 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:21 pm
The word doctors used to describe the section of bone connecting his lower leg to the knee was ‘obliterated’.
Bloody hell, that's awful.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:05 am

Jings :(
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:18 am

Urgh, and webmasters wonder why people install adblockers. Even the adverts are playing over each other now.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:01 pm

What does "we got now" even mean? :?

eny

Post by eny » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:42 pm

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:31 am

If you have to tell someone you're not corrupt, chances are, you're corrupt.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:30 am

That's really not a good look to be saying at an international conference speech. The journalists q&a at the end spent more time asking about the scandal too and he cut questions short joking that he had a train to catch apparently.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:46 am

Funny, given that he travelled to the conference on a private aircraft, not a scheduled train.

It's truly pathetic, isn't it. Climate change has been allowed to run rampant due to political weakness, and here's the PM of the host country using the climate change conference as a platform to make a statement denying something political and entirely irrelevant. I fucking hate that man.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:39 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:46 am
Funny, given that he travelled to the conference on a private aircraft, not a scheduled train.

It's truly pathetic, isn't it. Climate change has been allowed to run rampant due to political weakness, and here's the PM of the host country using the climate change conference as a platform to make a statement denying something political and entirely irrelevant. I fucking hate that man.
Nope, the daft twat caught the train this time, based on the awful feedback he got for flying the last time. He's that desperate for approval. He was only there for 2 hours or something.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:17 am

So hey, remember those electric scooters that absolutely everyone not riding one hates? Now they're making 100kph racing versions!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59119103
Fast. Radical. Green. Efficient. Our new 100km/h eSkootr was built for the racetrack – but will revolutionise the way we ride in our cities and on our streets.
The website for these things is pretty obviously wanting them to be mainstream, not just used on track.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:02 am

My new TV came with a promotional offer for £100 PS store credit, which is nice, but gone are the days of simply entering a code that's provided to redeem it. Now you have to go through a long and tedious process to prove you bought the TV and are eligible for the promotion, which involves registering the TV with Sony, confirming various details including the order date and then sending them a photo of the invoice and a photo of the TV displaying the serial number on a settings screen. I did all that and waited for the response (apparently it requires an actual person to validate it).

Sony have told me it's invalid, as I sent a screenshot of the order confirmation (including abundant personal details against my better judgement) rather than an invoice, so it doesn't show I actually paid for it. I don't have an invoice from Richer Sounds, which I've had to request (my account with them doesn't show the order annoyingly as the account was generated off the back of the order).

I'm sure it'll all be resolved, but let me highlight the insanity of Sony's verification process by breaking down what I would have had to have done to scam them:

1) Place the order with Richer Sounds.
2) Cancel the order so that payment is not actually taken.
3) Somehow track down someone who bought the same TV model from Richer Sounds on the same day I placed the order. Let's call them Fred.
4) Convince Fred to register the TV to my Sony account and take a photo of his settings screen with the serial number.
5) Also convince Fred that he doesn't want the £100 PS store credit.

Just give me my bloody credit you tight bastards! ](*,)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:07 am

Raid wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:17 am
So hey, remember those electric scooters that absolutely everyone not riding one hates? Now they're making 100kph racing versions!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59119103
Fast. Radical. Green. Efficient. Our new 100km/h eSkootr was built for the racetrack – but will revolutionise the way we ride in our cities and on our streets.
The website for these things is pretty obviously wanting them to be mainstream, not just used on track.
I personally like them, though our city has a pick up and go rental service for them so they're scattered around everywhere and I've had a couple of near misses with people driving them like morons on the pavement. The pros still outweigh the cons of having them though.

100km/h ones on the road would be a step too far though. Even if they're restricted to road use only. People will do what I see so many cyclists do when they hit a red light and just hop onto the pavement so they don't have to stop. With something that silent and going that fast it will lead to a lot of reckless accidents.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:31 am

I was perhaps being a little flippant, I don't really have a strong opinion on them as I don't really see them, but from the reaction they got when someone mentioned them here a few weeks back, they don't seem very popular among pedestrians. I just don't really get how they expect something like this to be a practical mode of transport - 100kph is simply too fast for an urban environment, so one would have to assume that they don't expect this exact version to go to market.

I just think the safety tradeoff compared to a bike outweighs the practicality of something more compact. The one in the article weighs 35kg, two to three times heavier than an adult bike so you'd need to lock it up somewhere. I thought the whole point of these scooters is that they're much smaller when folded so you don't need to find somewhere to store them. And then a bike has significantly bigger wheels and so is less likely to send you flying if you hit a stone or pothole.