The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Animalmother
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Animalmother » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:50 am

Using an ATM in a shop yesterday that had a small screen showing you a view from above, it's obviously so you can see if anyone is behind you. All I could see is my spreading male pattern baldness and it made me sad :(

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:00 am

At work we've got some third-party software that is godawful (I won't name them as technically we're still partnered with them), and for the last few years I've been dragged into technical discussions about how to import stuff into this software because there is a basic problem with it. Essentially to import a file you have to be on the same version it was exported from, which is laughable given that there are monthly updates and the last changes to our exports were back in 2020. In other words, if customers aren't on the version from 2020, they can't import our stuff.

We've raised this with the third-party multiple times to no avail. We've tried re-exporting periodically with new versions, which proved impractical. We've tried a whole bunch of different things, which I've tried to distance myself from as much as possible because it's a total ball-ache and not really my problem in the first place.

But today I got lumped with it properly as a major customer was kicking off about a failed import and nobody else available knew what to do (including me). So I idly opened an import file in Visual Studio to have a poke round it, see if I could do anything in there, and noticed there's a version number right at the top. Chuckling to myself at how dumb it would be if you could just change the version number to get it to work, I did exactly that, not imagining it would do a damn thing. Except it worked. Perfectly. It imports without issue and everything works as expected.

Three fucking years we've been battling this. Three years of toil and strife, with the third-party claiming there was no way round it. Three years of disruption to the point where I believe we even lost a customer over it, and it turns out you can just change the sodding version number?! :lol: ](*,)

...What's the point in it being locked to a version?! I need a lie down.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:04 am

You are Dilbert and I claim my £5 :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:10 am

:lol:

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:27 pm

So on my particular street we have what is known around these parts as a 'through house'. A house that is privately owned and that caters to families who are in waiting for a new home once they become available wherever that may be. The rest of us living here are used to seeing many different types of families moving and moving out in a normally 6-9 month period once they get properly housed and being the type I am I have always made an effort to make anyone who did live there momentarily feel welcomed and acknowledged. To date, not a single family who had taken up residency there were ever a cause of any issues on the street.

This new family though have now been there for close to 12 months, the longest period anyone has remained in the property, and we are all now questioning why they are still there. The police must have been at the house three times in the past week and a half alone. They are what some would directly refer to as a feral family, the Dad loiters around outside the house, and I have never once seen him without some kind of cheap tinny grasped firmly in hand. What gets me the most is that we are seeing such low temperatures and every single window of that home is left wide open, you can hear everything going on whether you choose to or not including music and the kids singing along to it all. I've seen one of the boys who must be no more than ten quite literally hanging out of the fucking window as the Dad just stood in the garden watching on and laughing. There is a pebbled car port in front of the property and the kids use them to throw all over the place, hitting residents cars and homes without intervention. I have interjected only the once in person so far when they were kicking in a neighbour's fence who is just a sweet old fucking guy trying to live out his twilight years in peace, and they would run right back into the house. Nothing was done about it.

I mean look here, I myself grew up on a pretty well renowned very troubled council estate on which drug dealers were hold up on every other street and once a man my Dad even knew got shot gunned to death on his own front door. I saw some shit, let's just put it that way, and yet I removed myself from growing up with the stigma I was nestled with, somehow managing on leaving there without the customary attached criminal rap sheet, not even an asbo to my name.

They say that you are a product of your environment, and I am now questioning as to why this family has not yet had social services clambering all over them as things have begun to escalate more and more for all of us to see. Even when police officers were present there the other day, the girl was all up in his grill screaming touch me go on I fucking dare yaaaaa! She is perhaps 15 and an absolute wildcat, I didn't blame the officer for taking several steps back - the Dad just stood on tin in hand, looking on as if none of what was transpiring was anything to do with him. I often stand at my door and watch my cat and this turd glares at me non-stop from his garden, so I just presume that he is either deeply in love and waiting for the right moment to profess said feelings, or he is clearly trying to alpha male his way into my subconscious and failing quite miserably.

The one time he did attempt to talk to me in all the time he has been my neighbour, was when I was minding my own business cutting the hedges, and he came over tin in hand all OI MATE! MAATE! YA GOT A FOOKIN SCREW DRIVAH? FOR ME SPEAKUS. I just shook my head and revved the strimmer a few times.

The way things are going, it would not surprise me if the house gets burnt to a cinder anytime now and a few of us have been coming together to contact the relevant authorities to say hey this is enough now. We would like a return to some form of normality on our street once again, if you please.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:47 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:00 am
At work we've got some third-party software that is godawful (I won't name them as technically we're still partnered with them), and for the last few years I've been dragged into technical discussions about how to import stuff into this software because there is a basic problem with it. Essentially to import a file you have to be on the same version it was exported from, which is laughable given that there are monthly updates and the last changes to our exports were back in 2020. In other words, if customers aren't on the version from 2020, they can't import our stuff.

We've raised this with the third-party multiple times to no avail. We've tried re-exporting periodically with new versions, which proved impractical. We've tried a whole bunch of different things, which I've tried to distance myself from as much as possible because it's a total ball-ache and not really my problem in the first place.

But today I got lumped with it properly as a major customer was kicking off about a failed import and nobody else available knew what to do (including me). So I idly opened an import file in Visual Studio to have a poke round it, see if I could do anything in there, and noticed there's a version number right at the top. Chuckling to myself at how dumb it would be if you could just change the version number to get it to work, I did exactly that, not imagining it would do a damn thing. Except it worked. Perfectly. It imports without issue and everything works as expected.

Three fucking years we've been battling this. Three years of toil and strife, with the third-party claiming there was no way round it. Three years of disruption to the point where I believe we even lost a customer over it, and it turns out you can just change the sodding version number?! :lol: ](*,)

...What's the point in it being locked to a version?! I need a lie down.
This is excellent. I sympathise Wrathbone, I deal with similar things.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:52 pm

Lennyquantum wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:27 pm
So on my particular street we have what is known around these parts as a 'through house'. A house that is privately owned and that caters to families who are in waiting for a new home once they become available wherever that may be. The rest of us living here are used to seeing many different types of families moving and moving out in a normally 6-9 month period once they get properly housed and being the type I am I have always made an effort to make anyone who did live there momentarily feel welcomed and acknowledged. To date, not a single family who had taken up residency there were ever a cause of any issues on the street.

This new family though have now been there for close to 12 months, the longest period anyone has remained in the property, and we are all now questioning why they are still there. The police must have been at the house three times in the past week and a half alone. They are what some would directly refer to as a feral family, the Dad loiters around outside the house, and I have never once seen him without some kind of cheap tinny grasped firmly in hand. What gets me the most is that we are seeing such low temperatures and every single window of that home is left wide open, you can hear everything going on whether you choose to or not including music and the kids singing along to it all. I've seen one of the boys who must be no more than ten quite literally hanging out of the fucking window as the Dad just stood in the garden watching on and laughing. There is a pebbled car port in front of the property and the kids use them to throw all over the place, hitting residents cars and homes without intervention. I have interjected only the once in person so far when they were kicking in a neighbour's fence who is just a sweet old fucking guy trying to live out his twilight years in peace, and they would run right back into the house. Nothing was done about it.

I mean look here, I myself grew up on a pretty well renowned very troubled council estate on which drug dealers were hold up on every other street and once a man my Dad even knew got shot gunned to death on his own front door. I saw some shit, let's just put it that way, and yet I removed myself from growing up with the stigma I was nestled with, somehow managing on leaving there without the customary attached criminal rap sheet, not even an asbo to my name.

They say that you are a product of your environment, and I am now questioning as to why this family has not yet had social services clambering all over them as things have begun to escalate more and more for all of us to see. Even when police officers were present there the other day, the girl was all up in his grill screaming touch me go on I fucking dare yaaaaa! She is perhaps 15 and an absolute wildcat, I didn't blame the officer for taking several steps back - the Dad just stood on tin in hand, looking on as if none of what was transpiring was anything to do with him. I often stand at my door and watch my cat and this turd glares at me non-stop from his garden, so I just presume that he is either deeply in love and waiting for the right moment to profess said feelings, or he is clearly trying to alpha male his way into my subconscious and failing quite miserably.

The one time he did attempt to talk to me in all the time he has been my neighbour, was when I was minding my own business cutting the hedges, and he came over tin in hand all OI MATE! MAATE! YA GOT A FOOKIN SCREW DRIVAH? FOR ME SPEAKUS. I just shook my head and revved the strimmer a few times.

The way things are going, it would not surprise me if the house gets burnt to a cinder anytime now and a few of us have been coming together to contact the relevant authorities to say hey this is enough now. We would like a return to some form of normality on our street once again, if you please.
This sounds awful btw. We've had our fair share of awful neighbours down the years, but nothing on a par with this. I hope it gets sorted soon!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:59 pm

Lennyquantum wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:27 pm
and I am now questioning as to why this family has not yet had social services clambering all over them
Sadly I assume it's the same as with everything else; not enough people or time to do the job. There's no such thing as "slipping through the cracks" anymore, it's "falling into the badly signposted gorge without safety rails".

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:33 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
At work we've got some third-party software that is godawful
Planview. Fucking atrocious.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:43 pm

Snowy wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:33 pm
Wrathbone wrote:
I assume you won't be telling the 3rd party about your discovery?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:58 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:43 pm
Snowy wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:33 pm
Wrathbone wrote:
I assume you won't be telling the 3rd party about your discovery?
Not my choice, but I'd rather they just leave it the hell alone, so yeah... I'd keep quiet.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:45 am

Honestly it feels like software from the 90's. Utterly unintuitive to use, with each element being inferior to what went before (the only supposed advantage that I would acknowledge is that everything is now within a single application - which is irrelevant tbh). It would need rebuilding from the ground up to make it any good.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:57 am

It’s not Planview I’m on about, btw. ;) We moved to MS DevOps for that sort of thing 18 months ago and I’m reasonably impressed with it. It has a few quirks but generally it’s decent.

My grief is with some business intelligence software. I’m trying to persuade the powers that be to move to Power BI, which is superior in every regard.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:06 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ts-of-33bn

Centrica announce they more than TRIPLED profits in 2022 to £3.3 BILLION. And if it's them it will be all the other energy suppliers as well, you can be sure.

What about reducing energy bills, then?

Utter cunts.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:29 pm

Yeah. My worldview is pretty negative these days, but despite that I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to all of these record profits for energy companies stories. It's like the people at the top have all banded together to purposefully screw over 60 million-odd people in the UK. I don't mean "I'm going to make lots of money for my company", I mean "I'm going to make sure parents can't feed their children and pensioners freeze to death." I just want there to be an accounting reason or something, because otherwise it's institutionalised evil.

Obviously our government aren't going to do anything to stop this from happening, so just how do we fix this?