The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Drarok

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Drarok » Wed May 04, 2022 9:06 pm

Last time I was asked for ID, the guy was just messing with me, 'cause he likes to fluster old people who usually don't carry any. :cry:
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu May 05, 2022 10:41 pm

Snowy wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:33 pm
Rusty wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:25 am
Lol. I want to be ID'd by Morrisons for buying energy drinks (have to be over 16 now) but they never do :(
Still, my grey beard probably helps
I was ID'd buying booze a few years ago, made my fucking year. It was a spindly spotty little lad who asked me.

"Sorry sir, are you 18?" "No, I am 49".

The lad's supervisor nearly wet herself laughing :)
These stories will be needed to fill the pages of the PW/GA "Golden Years" monthly at the nursing home - hey, maybe we can all pitch in and have our own wing at the joint? We can LAN the rooms together and drive the staff nuts, gaming and yelling all night long
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri May 06, 2022 6:32 am

Solitaire wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:41 pm
These stories will be needed to fill the pages of the PW/GA "Golden Years" monthly at the nursing home - hey, maybe we can all pitch in and have our own wing at the joint? We can LAN the rooms together and drive the staff nuts, gaming and yelling all night long
If I get a lottery win, I am going to make this happen :lol:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri May 06, 2022 10:27 am

I've pissed myself off today. It's been a long time since I've been significantly drunk, but yesterday I was at a leaving do for a friend I've worked with for 14 years, and since he's upper management he basically gave everyone the afternoon off so we could go to the pub. A good time was had by all, scenes missing, etc.

Skip to 4.30am when I awake on the sofa to find I've had two missed calls from a kebab shop that clearly failed to rouse me. It appears I'd ordered a spicy beef pizza. A family-sized pizza that cost an eye-watering £23. #-o I thought maybe they'd have just left it on the doorstep, but nope, seems the driver claimed it after making reasonable attempts to deliver it.

£23! I'm aghast. :lol: What an absolute tit. I think I'm done with alcohol.

eny

Post by eny » Fri May 06, 2022 11:52 am

:lol:
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri May 06, 2022 1:19 pm

Hah, eye-watering. I can tell you never buy Domino's. 😬
Raid wrote:
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri May 06, 2022 1:42 pm

I was stone-cold sober at the last works' leaving do I went to, and regret it, as I was the only one there who was. I hate being sober around drunk people at the best of times, but when it's people you work with and they're the type to get properly inebriated, and they keep trying to drag you to the dance floor (at what is now The Crafty Scholar, so not exactly a high-class establishment)... well suffice to say I'd have preferred £23 of no pizza.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon May 09, 2022 2:39 pm

Bloody All 4. The service is crap to begin with; ad breaks are unavoidable, and occasionally when the programme cuts to an ad break, or the other way around, the player just breaks, and you have to reload the page. Often this means you need to re-watch the ad break before you can get back to the point you were at.

The Miami Grand Prix was on yesterday, and 4 show a highlights programme usually a few hours afterwards (they don't have the rights to live broadcasts, and I refuse to pay for Sky or NowTV just for 20-odd programmes a year). With the race being in a US timezone, this meant that the replay wasn't on until 12:30am this morning. I figured I'd get up, go and do my food shop, then settle down and watch the race before lunch as I had things to do this afternoon. They haven't put it on the site, and it's now a good 8 hours after it was on channel 4, and 12 or so since the race itself.

With major sporting events it's a race against time to actually sit down and watch it before the result is spoiled for you, so this delay gets increasingly galling. I'm getting relatively good at avoiding spoilers, but eventually I'm going to end up on a news site, or see something on Reddit that gives it away. I've been checking All4 every half an hour to see if it's on yet, and at the time of posting this, it still isn't.

At 3:30pm I absent-mindedly google something F1-related, and, surprise surprise, Google helpfully offers me the latest F1 news. Obviously every headline is "x wins the Miami Grand Prix". Fucks sake.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon May 09, 2022 2:54 pm

We seem to be getting more and more races at later times, which is annoying as if I can't watch it on the Sunday (C4 highlights) then it's unlikely I'll get through the day without spoilers. In those situations I sometimes buy a Now TV day pass and watch the race live. I'd rather get up early and watch it before work but, as you suggest, All4 is crap and unreliable. I've got the option of recording to USB on my TV but that's even less reliable.

You wouldn't think this sort of thing could be an issue in 2022, would you?

*On the plus side, I did get to watch the disaster that was Martin Brundle's grid walk in which (amidst a number of gaffes) he called out "SERENA!" and then tried to get the attention of Venus Williams. #-o

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed May 11, 2022 5:21 pm

DIY. I don't like DIY because I'm massively inexperienced, so assume things are going to go wrong and then I won't be able to fix them because of said lack of experience. Today I put shelves up for the first time, using massive plasterboard anchor fixtures to make sure there's enough strength, largely because I don't trust myself to find the wooden bits behind to attach them to. They're the type of anchor that expands in the cavity behind to press into the back of the plaster on the other side.

I manage to find three wooden bits out of six holes I need to drill. The anchors don't work if there's no space for them to open on the other side. The knock test did not detect these wooden bits (which explains why I had so much trouble locating them in the first place). Now I have 3 20mm holes to fill and paint. Sigh.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed May 11, 2022 6:14 pm

I sympathise completely. Spent ages today fitting adhesive tiles on our toilet floor and after ages having to do all the fiddly bits around a door frame, piping and the loo itself the bloody things are beginning to rise after mere hours. Self-adhesive my arse (not literally ofc).
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

eny

Post by eny » Wed May 11, 2022 7:23 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:21 pm
DIY. I don't like DIY because I'm massively inexperienced, so assume things are going to go wrong and then I won't be able to fix them because of said lack of experience. Today I put shelves up for the first time, using massive plasterboard anchor fixtures to make sure there's enough strength, largely because I don't trust myself to find the wooden bits behind to attach them to. They're the type of anchor that expands in the cavity behind to press into the back of the plaster on the other side.

I manage to find three wooden bits out of six holes I need to drill. The anchors don't work if there's no space for them to open on the other side. The knock test did not detect these wooden bits (which explains why I had so much trouble locating them in the first place). Now I have 3 20mm holes to fill and paint. Sigh.
Handy tip for finding stud work is that the plaster board is attached with steel screws, so a magnet finder works wonders. Once you have found one vertical, they will be spaced equally at 400mm (16") centres across from there (each stud will be 2" width of timber). Plasterboard sheets are 1200x2400mm, so edges will have screws side by side where the next board meets. You can find quite a lot with a magnet tool. Tape measures are marked for typical stud widths with a little red square for every multiple, to help you in your detective work.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed May 11, 2022 7:38 pm

That's part of my frustration; I may not have experience but I do know how to do my research first. All of the advice said basically that, but the only magnets I had on hand (my budget wouldn't stretch to the proper tool) weren't quite strong enough to easily find the things. They'd stick if I found a nail/screw, but it was pot-luck as I couldn't actually find the things with said magnet (you couldn't feel the attraction at all).

But the biggest problem, and the reason I found wood on three holes instead of two, is that I found a stud going horizontally instead of vertically. I did find a stud on the first shelf, but just used a different mounting hole a couple of inches to one side, drilled a second hole and the shelf hides the mistake. On the second shelf I tried the same thing, but the stud wasn't running vertically this time, so I had to shift the entire shelf down an inch, and now the first two holes are visible and need filling. I'm just thankful I had a tube of plaster from when I had to fill a few (much smaller) holes that were left by the previous owners.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun May 29, 2022 4:21 pm

Doing a system update on my laptop and it now appears to be fucked. I've had just over 2 years and this is the 2nd time it's broken. Never, ever, ever buy a Lenovo product, they are fucking shit.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Sun May 29, 2022 4:31 pm

Do you mean a Windows update? Probably not Lenovo’s fault there, though their quality has been dire for some years now. Did they get sold, or just stop giving a shit?
Raid wrote: