The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Raid » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:22 am

Yeah, but those people who are still stubbornly sticking to it being a good decision won't see it that way, so it's not like we can rub their noses in it.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:34 pm

I was so jammy with this.

Knowing I was taking the girls away this weekend, I thought I'd nip out a bit earlier on Friday morning and fuel up en route to work - entirely oblivious to the whole thing. So glad I did, because holy shit. It has been utter chaos around these parts.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:43 pm

Just read a headline that Johnson is considering using the army to deliver supplies to petrol stations. Why the hell are they polling so high still? Crisis after crisis after crisis. Only two weeks ago he was talking about using the couple of thousand army HGV drivers we have to try and stem the 100,000 driver shortage. The army are certainly going to be busy propping up the entire country at this rate.

Food shortages, tax rises going into funding black holes, dodgy contracts quite clearly awarded to corrupt mates who don't deliver and just take the money and run, petrol panic buying, social care crisis ongoing, nursing and doctor crisis, exports to our closest neighbours collapsed, inflation outstripping wages by a significant margin, electric and gas prices starting to shoot up with suppliers collapsing, 150,000 dead and forgotten with Covid. I'm sure there's more than that too.

The country is literally unraveling at the seams.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:19 pm

I have been sent a link to a form that I need to complete.
The link comes in a text message.
The link goes to a web page that allows me to open or download the form.
Opening the form simply prompts my browser to download it.
I cannot fill in this form on the PC because it's a PDF and thus can't be edited.
Even if I could complete that form, I cannot return it because the link came in a text message and you cannot attach files to text messages.
There was no e-mail address in the message to enable a reply.
I had specifically asked for this form to be sent by e-mail.
The link was sent by my doctors surgery, and it will take about 40 minutes to get through to them on the phone to ask how to reply.
I live about 25 minutes from the surgery so it may well actually be quicker walk there and back to return it by hand.

And the punchline;
I do not own a printer. The form contains fairly sensitive medical information that I don't particularly want a friend to see.

There is literally no way I can send this form back without spending the best part of an hour trying to speak to someone.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:57 pm

I had a similar (less serious) debacle with a tree works form a while back, with a PDF form that needed completing. I could have gone to the trouble of blowing the dust off my old printer, seeing if the ink had dried up from disuse, printed the form out and then scanned it back in, but christ, it shouldn't be that difficult these days. I ended up spending nearly a full hour trying to find a free trial of PDF-editing software that actually worked as intended (tried at least 3 that had various problems) and let you output the PDF without throwing money down.

If you're going to be so lazy as to force people to fill out a form via PDF, have the bloody decency and common sense to make it an editable PDF! :evil:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:23 pm

Yeah, ink drying up is the reason I've never bothered with a printer. I print things so rarely that I'd be buying a new cartridge every time. I could get a laser printer I suppose, but I don't want to outlay that sort of money, nor do I want to have to find the space for a larger device.

It was fine up until a few months ago when I could just sneakily print things off on company machines. I may actually just walk into the branch I used to work at and ask to use their printers.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:16 am

Buy a little Brother laser printer. I've got an hl-1212w, I think? Because toner is a powder it doesn't dry up, so sporadic use is fine. Toner cartridges aren't cheap, but last for hundreds of pages.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:47 am

I got a Samsung WiFi b&w laser printer in a charity shop for a tenner 3 years ago and I’m still only on the included cartridge. It’s been great.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:37 pm

I agree with all of that except Samsung. Fuck those clowns.
Raid wrote:
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:25 pm

When you get those memories that make you massively cringe from when you've been a dopey fucker.

I feel like cheering everyone up today so sit back, hope it does. Went with my mate to see my other mate in Uni many years ago. As you do on a weekend, you go out for a couple. Didn't get really drunk, but coupled with my inability to sleep in a bed that don't belong to me I wasn't really good the next morning.

Course that don't excuse what happened next. What do you do after an evening? Full English. Went to one of those places that doubles as a nightclub dancefloor so early in the morning you can still smell the WKD and sticky floor syndrome etc.

Full English comes over with the usual condiments and as I'm tucking in my mate said "Rossell, do you know that if you mix red sauce and brown sauce together you get BBQ sauce?" I was a bit taken aback because frankly I'd never even paid it much thought. But in my dopey state decided, ah well let's have a try.

Took some of the Heinz finest tomato, squirted a bit on, took a bit of Her Majesty's brown, squirted that on too. Took my fork and mixed it on the plate. At this point my mates faces were not giving anything away which is amazing as they'd probably be rolling around on the floor.

"So, how does it taste, Rossell?"

I'm confused. I should really be in condiment nirvana, with sausages playing harps, and bacon shooting love arrows and all that bullshit. Black pudding would be toasting in hell though. But no... The penny drops:

"Well lads... It tastes like red sauce and brown sauce mixed together."

It's at this moment my brain always cringes. The looks on their faces as if to say "You absolute fucking moron" before bursting in laughter and "Omg I have to tell my work about this one tomorrow!"

I still get reminded about that one almost monthly.

Fml.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:50 pm

In fairness, there are condiments that consist of two other condiments mixed together. One of my friends was so excited to come back to uni one term with a bottle of "burger sauce" that he could only find at the opposite end of the country. Burger sauce in its basic form is just a mixture of ketchup and mayo.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:00 pm

And the fancier stuff is that with chopped-up gherkin in, right? Fuck I hate mayo and gherkins.
Raid wrote:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:57 am

Gherkins are Satan's gangrenous phallus. Fact.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:15 am

I don't mind gherkins in burgers 8-[

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:36 am

Likewise, I love them. We keep a jar of pickles in the fridge at all times just to snack on too.