The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:12 am

I never used to like them as a kid, but now I love the things.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:55 am

Seeing Jez's name ping up on Steam, to be reminded that he don't come round here no more. :cry:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:58 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:55 am
Seeing Jez's name ping up on Steam, to be reminded that he don't come round here no more. :cry:
You ask him to pop in?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:48 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:58 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:55 am
You ask him to pop in?
I did when he first left but he basically said then he had no intention of coming back.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:23 pm

Did he mention why? I got on really well with Jez and don't recall any forum animosity.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:33 pm

Snowy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:23 pm
Did he mention why? I got on really well with Jez and don't recall any forum animosity.
He felt a bit targeted by the Brexit debate raging at that time (coming down on the pro side of the divide)...

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm

Oh man what a shame. What's his name on Steam, I can't find him listed as Jez, will ping him.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:48 pm

Snowy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm
Oh man what a shame. What's his name on Steam, I can't find him listed as Jez, will ping him.
Sure, he's Jumble Stiltskin on Steam :)

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:28 pm

To be fair, there was some unacceptable vitriol on the forum back then. I was that close to walking away myself and stopped being a busy member here as a result of it - having my parents (who voted Brexit) called cunts and forum members saying they should be beat up with baseball bats, etc. It wasn't exactly the 'friendly pub vibe' the forum was meant to be. I think it's largely why Doug left as well.

It wasn't a pleasant place to frequent at the time. Perhaps in hindsight, the admin/mod team might have been a bit more pro-active in dampening that language & tone. I remember feeling a tad disappointed about it all tbh.

Although I'm so busy these days, I'm drifting away from forums in general so I guess I would have been less active here anyway. Still like to drop in now and then though. :)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:22 pm

It wasn't just the forum, it was everywhere. There were several years where every conversation at the pub seemed to veer onto Brexit at some point and spill into vitriol between friends. I think the only reason it's dulled down is because covid forced everyone apart for a bit and diverted attention to more immediate problems.

It's a real shame that Jez and others chose to leave over that. For my part I may have strongly disagreed with certain political stances but I never thought any less of the people who held them. My closest friend is a staunch Leave voter who still takes every swipe he can at Corbyn, and while we're politically chalk and cheese and have frequent heated discussions, we're still mates at the end of the day. I hope Jez et al know they'd be as welcome as ever if they decided to pop back.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:58 pm

I believe that people may be mixing up Brexit debates that took place here with those that happened on Preys World. Whilst I have vague recollections of comments like that being made, I don't recall who said them and I've just combed through the Brexit thread on Gamers Arms and double checked that nothing of the sort was said here.

I'll admit that in my time caretaking for Prey before the old site shut down that I was very inactive on the forum and didn't really enforce any moderation rules, but rest assured I won't tolerate members being abusive towards each other on here.

Reading through the Brexit thread, the viewpoints on offer were clearly very strong and quite passionately argued. But to be honest, I see very little at all in terms of outright arguments or aggressive vitriol directed between members, it was all actually quite cordial. Jez was very much outnumbered in his opinion, and expressed his discomfort at discussing politics, but ultimately he chose to participate in that thread and could have just avoided reading it if he really wanted to; it was the only thread with political comment in the whole forum after all. As Wrath said, the discussions on the topic have died off now anyway.

It is a shame that he felt the need to leave over things, however as I stated pretty clearly in the Brexit thread at the time, this is an open forum and I'm not in the habit of censoring what subjects can and can't be discussed (within reason of course, please don't test that limit :lol:).

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:14 pm

Nope, it was on TGA Mantis. Took me just a few seconds to find the first one: https://gamersarms.com/forum/viewtopic. ... all#p15413
I'd like to sit down with a bunch of them in a locked room and take a baseball bat to each on of the ignorant cunts.
And there were others of a similar nature from other members, although perhaps not as disgusting as that. Doug raised concerns with some of the content, I also raised concerns, but you said you felt no lines had been crossed.

There's a difference between strong, healthy debate and unacceptable venom towards people who have a different opinion. 2 of our most active members left because of it, I drastically reduced my contributions because of it. I really think it should have been handled better, but it's well in the past now.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:22 pm

I don't want to drag this out, but suffice to say that comment was actually made in this thread and not the Brexit one. It's an isolated one and I'm sorry I missed it.

Prior to posting my above message I had literally sat and read 30 or so pages of the Brexit thread and seen no evidence of forum members attacking each other. Certainly nothing I would consider venomous.

I'm not privy exactly as to why Doug left, though his main concern around the time of his disappearance was something he PM'd me about separately which I won't disclose.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:42 pm

I just want to footnote this whole thing by being clear, I don't want anyone feeling offended or uncomfortable by anything they might read on this forum.

I'm sorry if the direction of certain conversations has ultimately led to that in some instances. As much as I am very much against censoring any discussion topics, if people actively message me or even post in a thread at the time these discussions are taking place that things are venturing into territory they find inappropriate, then I will be more proactive in future in accommodating that viewpoint and I ask that the mods do so too if they see any such requests.

This community has been through a lot for those who remember the dramatic days of PW over a decade ago when people would have flame wars publicly and via PM, resulting in strings of walkouts and grudging returns. But in the end I want everyone to feel like they can engage in discussion here without feeling the need to leave the forum at all.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:42 pm

I don't think I ever said anything with that level of hatred towards members of the public, but I know full well I was (and still am) pretty outspoken on Brexit, and I'm sorry if I've added to anyone not wanting to be here. In fairness, it's the most divisive issue that's occurred in my adult life, and it's going to have significant effects for decades to come, so frankly I don't think the amount of wildly divergent opinions is remotely surprising.