The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Medicine Man » Wed May 26, 2021 8:12 pm

Getting there Sly. Slowly, but surely.

The lengths I'll go to just to have an excuse for not giving you a run for your money in the quiz eh.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:47 am

TV Licence.

Just renewing my "I'm not paying for your pish" declaration and they've added stuff like this "No one in my household watches or streams TV programmes live on an online TV service.
e.g. ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video or Now TV" and "No one in my household watches or records TV programmes live on foreign channels, via satellite or online streaming." Now what business is it of a licence to pay for the BBC if you watch ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV or even foreign channels live? In this day and age you should be paying a subscription to get the BBC channels and they shouldn't be allowed to police any of the rest of it. I dont even want to watch live telly and it pisses me off!

edit:
And its £13 a month! You can get prime and Netflix (non HD) for that and still have money left for popcorn!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:45 pm

I didn't realise that their remit covered all live broadcasts, I thought it only applied to live broadcasts of BBC owned content either via TV or on iPlayer.

Not that it affects me anyway as I never watch anything live. They haven't bugged me for a new declaration for a while even though it's been over a year since I submitted my last one.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:36 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:45 pm
I didn't realise that their remit covered all live broadcasts, I thought it only applied to live broadcasts of BBC owned content either via TV or on iPlayer.
I don't think they have any legal basis to prosecute over anything other than BBC streaming and broadcasts. I'd love to see them get laughed out of court on the basically-zero chance they ever tried to rake someone over the coals for watching a live youtube stream.

TV Licensing are thugs, plain and simple. I'll never forget them sending me a series of threatening letters at uni despite me having a licence, and eventually I replied saying please do send round the enforcers with their cudgels so I could show them my licence and then have them reported to the police for breaking and entering into my uni halls (the porters reassured me that they'd tell them to fuck off unless they had a warrant). They shut up after that.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:18 am

Firefox fucking about with my tabs bar....again. I get it set up how I want it, Mozilla updates and auto changes it. Learn CSS to change it back....Mozilla gets rid of the toolbar altogether and just has one tab at the fucking bottom of the screen...and seemingly, cannot change the bar to where I want it in a css script anymore....FFS.

[edit] sorted, yet another page of CSS script...
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:41 pm

Might as well rip the plaster off now, before it's impossible to revert with hacks, no?
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:54 am

https://digital.nhs.uk/services/national-data-opt-out

If this is something you feel strongly about, the link to opt out.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:46 am

I wish there was a distinction between opting out of your data being used for actual medical research and opting out of your data being sold to American pharmaceutical and insurance companies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:44 am

Rossell wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:54 am
https://digital.nhs.uk/services/national-data-opt-out

If this is something you feel strongly about, the link to opt out.
There is too much ambiguity on precisely what the data will be used for and no safeguards that it will not just be sold on. I trust the government about as far as I can spit them so have opted out.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:17 pm

Bought Cyberpunk Xbox disc because it was super cheap which is the first physical game Ive bought since mid way through PS3. 2+ hours to install 19gb from two discs while also downloading 50+gb from the web which was finished in abput 15mins! Insert disc 2, reinsert disc 1.... can you not just verify the licence from disc 1 and give the option to download everything because it would have been 90mins quicker! ](*,)

So yeah, modern physical media sucks.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:53 am

Didn't get to sleep till late last night due to various neighbourhood noise disturbances, but there was one that took the biscuit. Around midnight there was some weird clattering going on at the back of the house, so I had look and in one of the houses across from mine there was someone dangling out of an upstairs window spraying and cleaning the exterior panes, and making a racket in the process. At midnight on a monday.

WTF is wrong with people?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:16 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:53 am
Didn't get to sleep till late last night due to various neighbourhood noise disturbances, but there was one that took the biscuit. Around midnight there was some weird clattering going on at the back of the house, so I had look and in one of the houses across from mine there was someone dangling out of an upstairs window spraying and cleaning the exterior panes, and making a racket in the process. At midnight on a monday.

WTF is wrong with people?
Rolled a 1 on his stealth check ¬_¬ ...

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:43 am

I had the usual fucking chimps tea party going on with the house behind me all day Saturday. This time it was the teenage daughter having some friends over, from prior experience I knew this could go on until 3am. Around 10pm I knocked on the door full of righteous fury and possible murder. The daughter answered, I very politely asked her to keep the noise down and she was very apologetic. Hasn't been a peep out of them since. Result :P

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:08 am

Buying stuff for home delivery from Ikea.

I finally have my completion date for my home purchase, which is pretty imminent. I'm not taking a lot of furniture with me, and I'm going to need to furnish an entire living / dining room. I like Ikea stuff; it's well thought out and easy to put together, while still being reasonably priced. What it isn't, is easy to buy. Clearly you can't turn up to the shop in an average car and take a sofa home with you, not that I drive anyway, so large items are going to need to be delivered. Ikea's website is horrendous for doing this.

-Firstly not every item is available for delivery. Ok, fine, there's at least a filter so that you can weed those options out.
-Then not every deliverable item is available from every store. It does not tell you until you've clicked onto individual item pages. Availability for delivery differs by colour / style, so items that show up as deliverable actually aren't, as the above filter doesn't remove items where just a single colour / style is deliverable.
-Then not every item is available immediately, and there is nowhere I can see that tells you this before you go to select a delivery date in the checkout process.

So I put together my wish list over the last few months, carefully choosing by checking dimensions and arranging everything on a scaled plan of the living room. I add everything to my basket to check how much lead time I need to give it. The closest delivery date is in September. I will be moving in mid July, and don't particularly want to wait two months before I can use my living room. I now have to remove items from the basket until I work out which one is causing the delivery delay by trial and error, having to click through multiple pages each time.

It was the dining chairs. I now have to choose new dining chairs. ](*,)