The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Achtung Englander

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:15 am

that also happens when I listen to podcasts - at times I would "hear" an entire podcast and not know what was being said

Just good old fashoined music will do me. Now with Spotify and Bluetooth I never need to listen to shite radio again.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:21 am

Humidity.

Done nothing but piss down for the last three weeks, and today come back from the school run feeling like I need another shower. :(

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:31 am

Scrambler bikes; or more specifically the little arseholes that ride them. I live next to a fairly wide river. On the other side of this river is a grassy bank, and on that grassy bank ride a handful of kids with said bikes. They are so loud that the first time I heard them I thought they were riding around directly outside my house, but no, they're about 200m away. They do this all bloody summer long whenever it isn't raining.

I went for a nice walk in the Forest of Bowland yesterday. It was a beautiful morning; comfortable temperature, a light breeze to help cool you down, perfect for a bit of a ramble really. Halfway around the walk, we came across a motocross event. Arseholes on scrambler bikes. In the middle of the effing countryside. In theory I have absolutely no issue with organised events away from residential areas, but the sound of the pitiful little engines in these things; the sound of a thousand wasps stuck inside a coke can, now makes me irrationally angry. A couple of riders, presumably lost, actually rode down the (fairly well travelled) path we were walking along so we had to dodge traffic on a country walk.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:43 am

I feel like I could unleash a tide of unbridled fury in this thread if I had a mind to, so I'll try to restrain it:

- Cyclists that ignore red lights, particularly at pedestrian crossings.
- Cyclists that zoom past pedestrians at close range from behind.
- Cyclists in general.
- Pedestrians who are walking slower than you in the same direction, but speed up when you try to overtake them.
- Pedestrians who are walking towards you and veer slowly into the side of the path that you've clearly already chosen, forcing you to move.
- People with multiple pushchairs and kids swarming round them who are oblivious to anyone else on the pavement.
- People bimbling around a busy town centre who stop dead in their tracks to look at an especially noteworthy pigeon or similar.
- Websites that are impossible to read on phones/tablets because images and other controls keep loading sporadically, causing the page to jump around.
- Delivery drivers who don't even attempt to knock before posting a missed delivery note through the letterbox.
- British police procedural / detective dramas. 90% are either ultra-quaint or grimdark.
- Single-player games that have annoying and often invasive attempts to introduce online elements.
- People who converse by bellowing at each other from distant ends of a street rather than moving closer to one another.

Probably enough to go on for now!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:55 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:43 am
I feel like I could unleash a tide of unbridled fury in this thread if I had a mind to, so I'll try to restrain it:

- Pedestrians who are walking slower than you in the same direction, but speed up when you try to overtake them.
- People bimbling around a busy town centre who stop dead in their tracks to look at an especially noteworthy pigeon or similar.
- Delivery drivers who don't even attempt to knock before posting a missed delivery note through the letterbox.
These!

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:06 am

Webpages that now prevent you to read them unless you switch off ad blocking only to bombard you with 50% of the screen with advert banner and pop ups

bye bye website - you are not that important
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:35 am

Wrathbone wrote:
For me it's people who stop dead to have a conversation with someone and don't have the decency to move out of the way of other pedestrian traffic. It's especially bad when they do this in the sodding doorway of the shop they're in meaning everyone else has to try and walk around them.

I think I would just say "people showing a dramatic lack of situational awareness or care for others" as a general rule for things that irritate me. I just can't understand the mindsets of people that litter, or fail to get out of the way when stopping, or talk loudly at the cinema during the film.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
- Cyclists that ignore red lights, particularly at pedestrian crossings.
- Cyclists that zoom past pedestrians at close range from behind.
- Cyclists in general.
I was going to post something about cyclists and drivers.

As someone who often cycles into work, I've found myself often shouting at other cyclists and drivers who seem to think that other people should just make way for them. Whenever I hear of a cyclist being crunched under a lorry I just think "good, they were probably being a Edwin and trying to get past when they shouldn't". I've seen no end of cyclists who jump busy intersections when the light is red, go the wrong way up a cycle lane or on the pavement because it's easier than crossing over the road.

Plenty of idiot drivers who don't know what red lights are as well (especially in London).

Just a couple of weeks ago I saw some stupid woman cycle across a busy intersection on a Boris bike wearing fucking stilettos. She nearly got taken out by an articulated lorry and I was so ready to cheer as it was the third red light I'd seen her amble through.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:25 pm

As like people stopping in the middle of the street, the worst for me are the couples or groups who decide to stop at the corner of a busy through-passage on the tube. A perfect example is London Bridge station: on the image below, people always stop at the corner where the D on the image is, on Joiner Street; blocking the natural path between the underground and overground. MOVE OUT THE WAY YOU FUCKNUGGETS. You don't need a comprehensive understanding of fluid dynamics to realise you're a problem.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Umbrellas. Someone is a perfectly reasonable person until they feel a spot of rain and open an umbrella. They then turn into a self centered Edwin who fail to move out of the way and almost poke your fucking eye out. Wankers.

I walk into work and have to dodge dumb fucks who are staring at their phone and weaving all over the path oblivious. They then scowl at you if they blunder into your way. Fuck holes.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:10 pm

The meandering phone-fixated plodders are the worst. I got stuck behind two recently who were blocking a staircase full of people because they were slowly plodding down the steps whilst reading their phones and in the end I just pushed through them.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Speaking of pushing, I was at Leeds rail station this weekend and despite it not being particularly busy (and me walking at a decent pace), I had two separate people shove me out of the way. One as I approached an escalator and some arse in a suit muscled his way in front of me (and then stood still as it went up), and another who knocked me out the way as he walked directly in my path while coming off another escalator. Whatever happened to basic bloody decency?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:26 pm

Moar ranting.

- Phone-zombies. Shambling, vacant wanks that do to the pavement what 'road safety campaigners' have done to the roads. Cunts.

- Road safety campaigners. We have this bunch of fucking coffin-dodgers near me who have a sign that tells you your speed as you drive past them. There is always a cadre of withered joyless fucks glaring judgmentally at everyone with the temerity to own a car. My car is loud and farty, and I had one of the testicular polyps yell at me to slow down - I pulled up and pointed at his stupid fucking sign that showed I was doing 29 in a 30. Then gave the car a good rev and let off some thunderous backfires as I pulled away. Please let it have resulted in at least a heart murmur for one of them. Cunts.

- Abuse of the words 'literally' and 'like'. You are not American, nor are you Paris Fucking Hilton. Stop talking like a Edwin. "And I was like..." no, you mean "I said". "I was literally like...". No, you were figuratively doing something. Simple grammar, nice and easy, now never say another fucking word until you have grasped that simple fact. Cunts.

- AQI (Australian Question Intonation), often to be found lurking with the literally like brigade. This used to be a stupid fucking habit that Aussies had, of making every statement sound like a question by going up at the end? Except it isn't? Or is it? Learn to fucking speak you cunts. Cunts.

- Every single fucking thing to do with the rise of populism and our sudden irrational desire at this critical juncture in our history to elect the stupidest fucking wankers into office because xenophobia. Cunts.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:28 pm

Snowy wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:26 pm
My car is loud and farty,
Can confirm. :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:20 am

People who get to a cash point and are apparently bewildered by the array of possibilities before them, which they then prod at ineffectually until they accidentally send all their money to a Somalian pirate lord while viewing someone else's balance and printing out several trees' worth of receipts. Meanwhile a queue forms behind...

While I'm on the subject, ATM interfaces where the first screen gives you options for cash with receipt and cash without receipt, and after you choose without receipt it then asks you if you'd like a receipt. ](*,)

Even more specifically, the Barclays machines where the buttons are misaligned with the options on screen. Not as in they're a few millimetres out; no, the first row of buttons align with the second row of options. FFS.