The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Lenny Solidus

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:25 am

Alan wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:02 am
Dafuq? I pay £35 for 200meg from virgin! You need to bitch more when you call them up ;)
But how? Our monthly bill has always been £50 or thereabouts. Only a few days after we told them we were leaving, they emailed me saying they had boosted our connection from 100mb to 132mb free of charge.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:55 am

Ha! 32 whole meg! Every year they put my bill up to £55 and I give them a call and just say “you’ve put my bill up and it’s too much. Is there any deals you can cut me before I go looking elsewhere”. Every time they knock it back to £35 for a years contract (or 18 months, I forget which). You could phone them up and say look, I’ve canceled my account and am going to Vodafone but I just thought I’d see if there’s any deals you can give me to keep my business” and see what they say.

Voda is still cheaper and 100meg is mostly plenty though so might not be worth staying.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:28 pm

Lennyquantum wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:25 am
Alan wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:02 am
Dafuq? I pay £35 for 200meg from virgin! You need to bitch more when you call them up ;)
But how? Our monthly bill has always been £50 or thereabouts. Only a few days after we told them we were leaving, they emailed me saying they had boosted our connection from 100mb to 132mb free of charge.
I’ve just gone to Sky broadband (not including TV) with a gigabit connection for £50 a month. Plusnet were trying to charge me £47 for 80mb.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:56 am

Anyone else feel like the whole country is falling to pieces in real, tangible ways? It's not just all the various strikes - things I used to take for granted just don't work properly anymore. On Saturday I had a Christmas get-together at a friend's house which highlighted the situation well. We'd agreed to do a Secret Santa, but the present I'd ordered over two weeks ago hadn't been delivered (still hasn't, though it looks like Whistl are finally getting round to it) so I had to sort another present out. Then simply getting to my friend's house proved difficult. It's a 30 min walk in normal conditions, but with the heavy ice on pavements (none of which have been gritted round here) I decided to get the bus, which never turned up. I called for a taxi and was told it'd be over an hour's wait. I ended up getting a later bus, which took ages due to Lancaster's ridiculous one-way system. I walked home afterwards, having to weigh up the risk of freezing to death waiting for a non-existent bus versus the peril of slipping and waiting for a non-existent ambulance.

Yesterday I thought a takeaway would be a nice, restorative treat, but I decided against it because the previous week I'd paid through the nose for a takeaway that took over 2 hours to arrive and was missing items that I was told would arrive soon with a different driver (they never did). It's just not worth it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:44 am

I've just had to return not one but two items to Amazon because they sent the wrong thing, then reorder the things I wanted in the hope they'll actually get it right a second time... -_-

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:52 am

I think I'm more surprised when things *do* work the way I expect them to these days. I went for my first walk this morning since last week's drop to below zero and was genuinely happy to find that the roads (the ones that run up past Williamson park, the hill would be lethal if they weren't so they're probably higher priority) had in fact been gritted.

Given that we're a society that now relies on distance selling, I can only see this getting worse as drivers leave and fuel continues going up in price. Nobody can afford to keep small shops open, as the majority of people don't have any money to spend and both council rents and energy costs are sky high.

I ordered a pack of cards for X-Wing TMG about 3 weeks ago, the release date for which was a fortnight ago. It hasn't arrived, in fact nobody in the UK has it yet, and the vendors can't comment on when we'll receive them. They're almost certainly stuck in a shipping crate at a port somewhere because of a customs backlog.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:37 pm

Thought I would use amazon for this Christmas' orders, as going into town is not an option for me anymore. Prime "delivery" not an hour ago, "parcel was handed to resident", footsteps in what snow remains, right up to my door — first one's today, so, not Royal Mail — no knock on the door, no parcel. Trying to find a way to complain to Amazon? Nowhere obvious. Have to wait until Wednesday at the earliest before "refund or resend". What an utter failure. Prime: next day delivery that might be next week...might not.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:47 pm

I’ve noticed that in the last couple of months for most deliveries, Amazon have started hiding parcels behind the bins without even knocking. I tend to keep an eye on tracking anyway so it’s not a big deal for me, but I can see how that could cause problems for some people. I also get that the drivers are under a lot of time pressure, but my bins are less than a couple of meters from the door so it wouldn’t hurt to just give a courtesy knock, even if they vanish straight away.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:03 pm

I am rural, so normally they leave it anywhere convenient for them, which is usually fine. The fact he came to the door, didn't knock and didn't leave a parcel, but did leave footsteps, and the email says "parcel was handed to resident" is just diabolical. They used to have a pic showing the parcel location, but not any more.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:44 pm

"a tad bit"
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:28 am

eny wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:37 pm
Thought I would use amazon for this Christmas' orders, as going into town is not an option for me anymore. Prime "delivery" not an hour ago, "parcel was handed to resident", footsteps in what snow remains, right up to my door — first one's today, so, not Royal Mail — no knock on the door, no parcel. Trying to find a way to complain to Amazon? Nowhere obvious. Have to wait until Wednesday at the earliest before "refund or resend". What an utter failure. Prime: next day delivery that might be next week...might not.
Call Amazon and complain, the one thing that I have found with them is that their customer service is excellent when called upon. Go to the 'contact us' page and request a callback, it generally takes less than a minute from clicking until you are connected to someone.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:50 am

Whatever you do, don't use their live chat option. Even if you eventually get through to a human rather than a bot, they're beyond useless. You could tell them that a terrorist leapt out of your package and is holding your family hostage and they'd tell you that they understand that you're not happy with the order and that they can assure you it will be taken care of very soon. If it's a particularly unpleasant terrorist, they may offer you £5 Amazon credit.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:06 pm

Got a Covid booster jab yesterday and felt utterly fine afterwards, bit of a sore arm was all. Woke up today and feel like I've had the shit kicked out of me. You name it, it's sore or definitely thinking very hard about being sore.

There was only about a handful of people getting the jab yesterday and I think there was more staff than punters. The nurse just chatted to me for about 10 minutes then followed me down to the waiting area, must be a long day for them :lol:

Several of my friends say they won't be getting anymore boosters as they've had enough now. I don't think it works that way and I'll be getting them as long as they are offered. Better feeling a bit crappy for a day or two than getting the Rona.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:12 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:06 pm
Got a Covid booster jab yesterday and felt utterly fine afterwards, bit of a sore arm was all. Woke up today and feel like I've had the shit kicked out of me. You name it, it's sore or definitely thinking very hard about being sore.

There was only about a handful of people getting the jab yesterday and I think there was more staff than punters. The nurse just chatted to me for about 10 minutes then followed me down to the waiting area, must be a long day for them :lol:

Several of my friends say they won't be getting anymore boosters as they've had enough now. I don't think it works that way and I'll be getting them as long as they are offered. Better feeling a bit crappy for a day or two than getting the Rona.
Same here, had my 4th covid jab and the flu jab since Xmas with no ill effects whatsoever. My missus and I both had covid back in Nov '21 and she still hasn't gotten her sense of smell back. Fuck that.
Last edited by Hatredsheart on Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:43 pm

I thought they were only available to select groups, like over-50s, people with conditions, that sort of thing – is that still the case?
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.