The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Snowy
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Snowy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:41 pm

I will be flying next week to Marrakesh, with Sleazyjet rather than Ryanair - similar cunts, different colour scheme.

I lock myself in a rage-bubble whenever I have to travel. From the second I walk into the airport I know I am surrendering to whatever shit the various airports, airlines, customs fucknuts, passport control fucknuts throw at me. I also know that I will be slowed by all manner of dribbling fuckwittery from other passengers - the Edwin who waits until they are stood by their little plastic tray to contemplate the arsenal of shit they need to divest themselves of, who will be just in front of me every single time I go through customs for example. It is the only way - nothing is allowed through the rage-bubble, nothing touches me or disrupts my suspension of caring about anything and that keeps me (and therefore my wife) sane.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:36 pm

I must not rage.
Rage is the mind-killer.
Rage is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my rage.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the rage has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain
-- To be completed at some point --

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:40 pm

Snowy wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:41 pm
I will be flying next week to Marrakesh, with Sleazyjet rather than Ryanair - similar cunts, different colour scheme.

I lock myself in a rage-bubble whenever I have to travel. From the second I walk into the airport I know I am surrendering to whatever shit the various airports, airlines, customs fucknuts, passport control fucknuts throw at me. I also know that I will be slowed by all manner of dribbling fuckwittery from other passengers - the Edwin who waits until they are stood by their little plastic tray to contemplate the arsenal of shit they need to divest themselves of, who will be just in front of me every single time I go through customs for example. It is the only way - nothing is allowed through the rage-bubble, nothing touches me or disrupts my suspension of caring about anything and that keeps me (and therefore my wife) sane.
Drink. Works for me.

I mean it, it's only currently socially acceptable to be drinking a beer at 5am for breakfast if you're in an airport. They want to take even that away - but I argue (with mixed results from audiences) that booze in airports does more good than harm, as for all the air-rage incidents there are ten, thirty, a hundred people who haven't had a panic attack or a heart attack or mouthed off at their loved ones from jitters because they had a bit of fortification in 'em. I genuinely believe this.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:07 am

While I try to avoid using alcohol to handle anxiety (that way lies a slippery slope), I’ll admit that I’ve done precisely that with airports because I find them pure hell. I’ve decided not to go abroad this year simply because I had an airport experience last year which broke me, and I need a break from them. Fuck airports.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:53 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:07 am
While I try to avoid using alcohol to handle anxiety (that way lies a slippery slope), I’ll admit that I’ve done precisely that with airports because I find them pure hell. I’ve decided not to go abroad this year simply because I had an airport experience last year which broke me, and I need a break from them. Fuck airports.
Be interested to know what that is.

I tend to go zen like when going through airports - arrive as early as possible, travel as light as possible and just chill. My partner works in Airports so it helps that she knows the routine very well.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:02 pm

It's just anxiety. I don't think I've ever got through the airport process without having at least one panic attack. There are many potential triggers, from the high security environment, to the potential for things to go wrong, to prospect of travelling somewhere wildly outside my comfort zone (i.e. my own house), to the time sensitivity, and plenty of other things. If I were to design a situational environment that would spike my anxiety for a lengthy period of time, it would more or less be an airport.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Airports give me anxiety too, but mostly because for the past 7 years I've also been responsible for an ever-growing brood of small children who I have to drag along with me. ¬_¬
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:23 pm

I like the Bene Gesserit litany, very good =D>

I agree with the beer thing. My wife and I always make a bee-line to the nearest bar when we get to an airport, for us it has always been a symbolic "we are now on holiday" but there is more to it than that, you have broken through the first wall of shit, checking in and going through passport control and security.

The Daily Mail brigade just want to ban it because they hate anything that people enjoy.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:09 am

Snowy wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:23 pm
I like the Bene Gesserit litany, very good =D>

I agree with the beer thing. My wife and I always make a bee-line to the nearest bar when we get to an airport, for us it has always been a symbolic "we are now on holiday" but there is more to it than that, you have broken through the first wall of shit, checking in and going through passport control and security.

The Daily Mail brigade just want to ban it because they hate anything that people enjoy.
I'm not sure that the daily mail brigade want to ban it. HMRC are much more interested in it from what I understand. They've been inspecting airports over the last year, I think they're looking at it from a revenue perspective.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:26 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:02 pm
It's just anxiety. I don't think I've ever got through the airport process without having at least one panic attack. There are many potential triggers, from the high security environment, to the potential for things to go wrong, to prospect of travelling somewhere wildly outside my comfort zone (i.e. my own house), to the time sensitivity, and plenty of other things. If I were to design a situational environment that would spike my anxiety for a lengthy period of time, it would more or less be an airport.
I'm very lucky that I doin't suffer from any of that. Airports are shit, places that should be happy are just a massive conveyor belt of stress. I had a long holiday in the far east in March and the Malaysian Airports were chaotic but largely chilled - especially the one in Kuching - that was still very much in the provincial mentality. Conversely Hong Kong was huge and intimidating, with temperature sensors all over the place looking for ill people coming in.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:32 am

People who say “daily driver”.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:50 am

What's the context behind that?
Taxis? Uber Drivers? Sales talk?
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:23 am

I've actually seen the phrase used more often in discussions of things other than cars; phones, laptops etc.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:38 pm

That’s the one.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:35 pm

I've never heard the term, but for fucksake don't let my management get word of the thing.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.