The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:56 am

This is no doubt linked to turning 40 the other week.

But... Films and TV shows where the characters tap out a text or message on their phones for the screen, which carry key plot points and which you're expected to be able to read from your sofa 10 feet away from the screen (this also applies to reading letters from a character's POV without voiceover telling us what it says). Noticed this recently in things like Black Mirror and a film we watched the other week that I can't remember because I'm freaking old now dammit *shakes fist at cloud*

The other night I was forced to get up and stand closer to the TV every time this happened (which was frequently) just to know what the fuck was going on.

Some shows (like Sherlock, I think?) have the text come up at the bottom of the screen as a caption or something like that, which you can actually read. This should be standard, dammit!

Also related: mumblers. Christ, these actors get paid a shitload, could they not have the good grace to actually enunciate their lines? We watched Interstellar the other night which was particularly bad for this (great film, though). Every time the characters whispered their dialogue to each other I was forced to jack the volume up to max just to hear them, then seconds later there'd be an action scene that blew us backwards across the room like Michael J Fox at the start of Back to the Future. I read recently that Christopher Nolan mixed the sound like that deliberately, god knows why.

Also related: Christopher Nolan :lol:

Raid
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:29 am

Ah, the thread that we had to ban on Preys World because it consumed all of the forum's attention.
Sly Boots wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:56 am
Also related: mumblers. Christ, these actors get paid a shitload, could they not have the good grace to actually enunciate their lines? We watched Interstellar the other night which was particularly bad for this (great film, though). Every time the characters whispered their dialogue to each other I was forced to jack the volume up to max just to hear them, then seconds later there'd be an action scene that blew us backwards across the room like Michael J Fox at the start of Back to the Future. I read recently that Christopher Nolan mixed the sound like that deliberately, god knows why.
I actually couldn't enjoy the first series of True Detective because I just could not bloody understand what Matthew McConaughey was saying. While he's the obvious link between that and Interstellar, it's surely the sound production partly at fault rather than just the actor, as it wasn't just him that I had the problem with.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:54 am

GoFundMe.

Cool idea in theory. Its nice when people help each other. In practice its a bunch of mooching layabouts that think they should get everything for nothing. I landed on one a wee while ago about this couple who wanted to open a cafe in Edinburgh and were looking for help. They had no premises, no equipment, no furniture and had picked one of the most expensive places in Scotland to find a place! They were even asking for the first few months staff wages! Another recent one was someone that wanted people to pay for his vasectomy. It boils my blood that there are so many good causes that could really do with some cash input while imbeciles give money to waste of space dipshits.

:x
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:57 am

Raid wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:29 am
Ah, the thread that we had to ban on Preys World because it consumed all of the forum's attention.
:lol:

I don't remember that.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:56 am

I remember, the 'What Grinds Your Gears' Thread.....was far too popular....!
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:44 pm

Car drivers who do not indicate. Sorry fella but your assumption I can read your fucking mind is not right

Post airport security screening when people (mostly women) get their stuff from the scanner trays and leave them on the rail without picking them up and putting them in the tray-bins at the end because you know - they are far too fucking superior to stoop so low as to you actually think that by not doing that they cause a traffic jam for others. No its get my shit while at the rail, delaying it for everyone else - and then fuck off and leave the empty tray for some other poor bastard to pick up (usually me) to put in the tray-bins. Granted this one is pretty niche 101
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:52 pm

People who don't indicate for pedestrians do my head in just as much as when I'm driving. Either they veer off at the last second down a side road and I could have crossed ages ago if they'd just indicated. Or they turn straight into my path off a main road and nearly flatten me because I started to cross when I didn't see a signal from them. One scenario is annoying, another is potentially lethal; use your damn indicators.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:47 pm

eny wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:56 am
I remember, the 'What Grinds Your Gears' Thread.....was far too popular....!
And God forbid anyone have fun on Prey's watch.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:52 pm
People who don't indicate for pedestrians do my head in just as much as when I'm driving. Either they veer off at the last second down a side road and I could have crossed ages ago if they'd just indicated. Or they turn straight into my path off a main road and nearly flatten me because I started to cross when I didn't see a signal from them. One scenario is annoying, another is potentially lethal; use your damn indicators.
I remember trying to teach my son how to cross the road andhaving to say things like look for indicators but not all of them do so try to judge the speed and be prepared to stop. Not easy for a little un..
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:59 pm
Mantis wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:52 pm
I remember trying to teach my son how to cross the road andhaving to say things like look for indicators but not all of them do so try to judge the speed and be prepared to stop. Not easy for a little un..
You can't even say "remember to wait for the green man".

The other day, crossing our road on the way to school we did that, my youngest started crossing, and a driver who must have been 30ft or more (probably more as we didn't start crossing as soon as we got the green signal) from her light as it was turning red shot through the junction at 40mph. I had to yank her back by her hood (she was on a scooter and was just about to push to accelerate across the road), cue car shooting past us without even applying the brakes. Gestured at her as she went past, and the bitch just shrugged, as if she hadn't nearly just killed the three of us, and only didn't because I was paying attention.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:33 pm

God, driving hates...
Drivers who simply REFUSE to indicate.
Drivers who join a roundabout without giving way when you're approaching from the right, staring blindly ahead almost daring you to hit them.
Drivers that ignore your right -of-way and raise a hand after nearly colliding as if that makes everything ok.
Lorries in the middle lane overtaking one in the slow lane by driving precisely 2mph faster than it.
I could go on but I'll spare you...
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:32 pm

Hatredsheart wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:33 pm
Lorries in the middle lane overtaking one in the slow lane by driving precisely 2mph faster than it.
omg - that ! WTF are they thinking. This guy is slowing me down, let me overtake him. It will only take 20 minutes.

Meanwhile all car drivers now forced onto the fast lane are thinking "you fucking dipshit twat"
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:44 pm
Car drivers who do not indicate. Sorry fella but your assumption I can read your fucking mind is not right
Oh man don't get me started. I have commuted long distances for work for over 23 years now, most of it on the M3. In that time I have become so consumed with rage at the state of people's ability to drive (or lack of) it is amazing I have not gone all Scanners and made my fellow commuters explode. I fucking wish I could...

Starter for 10, no time for detailed ranting, just take it as it comes:
- The total and utter lack of any fucking lane discipline. When did it fucking become OK to sit in the middle or outside lane by default? Overtake, pull back in. Same rules for every Edwin and if you utter fucking spaffspangles fucking followed them the whole fucking shitshow would move so much more smoothly! Then nobody would think we needed...
- Smart motorways. AKA the government's piggy bank. Endless delays while they are built, then no fucking difference to how it was before once they are finished.

More motorised ranting available on request, so many rants so little time.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:21 am

Driving is the only time I actually accidentally swore in front of my son. Stuck at roundabout waiting for traffic to clear when the typical young edwin decided that as his exit was blocked he would stop his car right in front of me. This meant I couldn't move away when it was pretty clear his exit lane was moving for the forseeable (roadworks and the like). If he had sat one car length away the queue behind me could have moved on.

I think I called him a rude word :)

To combat my road rage I imagine that everyone else who cuts me up/ drives badly is rushing to visit a sick person in hospital (honestly, it helps!) also lisening to audio books helps too as being late or held up means I can listen to the book some more.
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:08 am

I have tried audiobooks but I find that I don’t have the concentration to spare to listen to them while also driving.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=