The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:33 pm

Maybe there should be a profit cap for key industries like this, which provide a life essential but are driving people bankrupt and into food banks and the like.

I honestly don't know how they can sleep at night.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:54 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:33 pm
I honestly don't know how they can sleep at night.
On huge mattresses stuffed with £50 notes. The BASTARDS.

Any reasonable government ( ie one that hadn't had donations from/or ministers didn't have shares in these same industries) would have imposed a windfall tax by now.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:07 pm

Maybe services like this should be state owned and have some sort of oversight....

eny

Post by eny » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:27 pm

I hate to say it, but they know what is coming and are hedging against it...what started as covid clawback has escalated into ivory-towering ready for a great depression.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:01 am

Asda sent me a Muller rice that's already 4 days past its use by date. Not the crime of the century, of course, but it feels like standards are slipping everywhere these days - nobody gives a shit if you get what you've paid for.

Still going to risk eating it, though...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:27 am

I've started doing my shopping online to make sure I don't overspend (avoiding a 90 minute round-trip to the nearest reasonably priced supermarket is a bonus), and it feels like a real crap shoot as to what will be delivered. I made a final alteration to my order last night at about 9pm, after the shop itself has closed, and this morning I get an e-mail informing me that the eggs I've ordered aren't in stock and they can't offer a suitable replacement. I receive this e-mail before the shop opens. Surely the system should have checked the stock situation when I checked out.

Now I have to hope that the massively overpriced small Co-op I live close to has them. One would assume a supermarket would have eggs, but I believe there's a nationwide shortage due to some issue in the production.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:43 am

Yeah, it's the bird flu I would think.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:44 am

I've been getting Asda deliveries for years, and while there are the ocassional moments of absurdity (a while back they substituted fish fingers with crab sticks, and more recently instead of a chicken tikka masala I got chicken pasta alfredo, that well-known Indian staple), generally it's fine. Eggs are potluck at the moment for the shortage you mentioned, but in terms of stock availability I don't believe it's linked to shop opening hours, because they pack deliveries from a warehouse.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:54 am

Concerning Asda online we recently found ourselves with very little in but as we just happened to have a 20% digital discount available we thought why not and decided to pay for an £8 late evening delivery slot. We selected one of the main offers which was a very lovely looking BBQ Chicken pizza x3 which all came offered with a bottle of either Coke/Fanta. Delivery arrived and while we did get all three bottles we got told that there were none of the selected pizzas readily available, likewise with I believe it was three other items the cost of which were all refunded.

We still ended up ordering takeaway, even after attempting avoiding doing exactly that. Fucking Asda, shitbags. :lol:
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:03 pm

Similar problem with Amazon atm. Bought a tool from US Amazon at the start of the month, "Carrier picked up the package, arrived/left Amazon Facility Baltimore 2 days later", nothing since, no update to tracking, void DPD number, no delivery on the 17th as stated, "item is from a third party seller contact them....postage is through Amazon contact them...runaround", then some bullshit backtracking about "item not in stock" please wait a week...at the end of a month's wait all they offer is my money back. Pathetic. Item is still showing "in stock" on Amazon's page...fucking lottery.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:52 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:44 am
I've been getting Asda deliveries for years […] but in terms of stock availability I don't believe it's linked to shop opening hours, because they pack deliveries from a warehouse.
Is that specific to Asda, because I've seen the people in Tesco going round to picking orders off the normal shelves in the past. Maybe it's changed, but it's basically the same chance as going yourself, except any substitutions are batshit insane.

When you order ages in advance, it doesn't inform any stock system and order more (like say… Xmas fucking turkey) and you'll get what you get.

M&S online is an actual reservation of stock, IIRC.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:26 pm

Drarok wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:52 pm
Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:44 am
I've been getting Asda deliveries for years […] but in terms of stock availability I don't believe it's linked to shop opening hours, because they pack deliveries from a warehouse.
Is that specific to Asda, because I've seen the people in Tesco going round to picking orders off the normal shelves in the past. Maybe it's changed, but it's basically the same chance as going yourself, except any substitutions are batshit insane.
I’m not sure, it probably depends on the supermarket and the area, but I remember being told by a driver that it doesn’t come from the supermarket round here.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:36 pm

Must be down to area, as we use Tesco and they're fulfilled at a warehouse

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:42 am

I'm refurbing an old PC of mine, and I'd removed the CPU heatsink, placed both screws for it down carefully, given everything a good clean and reapplied the paste, then placed the heatsink back. First screw goes in.

The second screw is gone.

It was right next to me, not anywhere it was likely to move. I've scoured the room from top to bottom, checked the case carefully to make sure it hadn't somehow fallen in there. It's gone. I've even checked my pockets to make sure I hadn't subconsciously put it in there. It's flat out vanished, the Houdini of bloody screws. And wouldn't you know it, I can't find a single screw in the house of the same type.

Obviously I can just get another screw, but the impossibility of it disappearing without trace and the frustration of not being able to continue to the refurb today without it (as the heatsink isn't secure) has properly annoyed me.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:50 am

Get a torch and put it on the floor. Shine it parallel to the floor and it'll cast a shadow of anything down there like tiny screws. Next time, use a mason jar or something with a lid.

Ask me how I know. ¬_¬
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.