Adventures in 3D design and printing

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: Adventures in 3D design and printing

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:20 pm

Progress on the AGL Arms Longcolt:
This thing is going to be absolutely enormous. The handle was an 8 hour print, and the frame bit (I'm really not well versed in firearm terminology) between the cylinder and handle took a whopping 11 hours. The handle in actual fact ended up taking 14 hours because... well... the printer ran out of resin after about 6 hours and I had to start from scratch.
I was about half an hour late when I went to top it up.

In actual modeling news, I've decided to switch software packages that I'm learning. Blender, so far as I can tell, just can't replicate the functionality of a good piece of CAD software, and scaling objects was just a complete mystery to me. I have instead started with Fusion 360, which allows me to create objects that, get this, have defined sizes, and you can measure things in it. It's a very different style of modeling, given that it seems to focus on creating 2D vectors and then extrapolating them into 3D objects rather than starting with 3D primitives and twisting them into the shape you need. I created this fairly simple coffee scoop following a tutorial.

I've decided that my first real project is going to be a scaled replica of the GAT-X105 Strike's anti-ship sword from the Gundam SEED anime.
People who've been around here and PW for a while likely remember that I build Gundam model kits occasionally, and I want a representation of the weapon in a scale that it isn't readily available in. This is how far I've gotten:
I, err, have some way to go. You can see the image file I'm using as a guide, the bits I've modeled are the grey pieces at the pointy end.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:53 pm

As a minor aside; the gaming shop I'm selling miniatures had one of my printed models on display, but following an absolutely gorgeous paintjob.

Again, any imperfections are magnified here as this model is about an inch tall and my phone camera has pretty decent macro capabilities, but I'm incredibly jealous of the painter's abilities here. That belt buckle is maybe 1.5mm high.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:52 am

nice :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Not a lot of progress as of late, but I have produced my first 3D printed gift for someone, which is apparently something of a running joke in the 3D printing community.

It's one of the monster chests from Breath of the Wild. It's a little rough, but then it's supposed to look a bit rough, and it's not just me being a bit lazy. The basic grey primer was applied with an airbrush, and then I did the stone effect paint with a sponge and a mix of black and white paint.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:29 am

That looks awesome. Great job!