The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Alan

Re: The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:59 pm

I was but deleted the beta profile last week. Dont think Ive updated to a non-beta since then so that's probably it. They should get it out or the pandemic will be over ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Re: The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 am

Little's coffee.

Over the last couple of years I've tried loads of different types of coffee and methods of making it (fresh beans, coffee grounds, coffee bags, etc), with mixed results. At Christmas work sent everyone in the company a small hamper of tat, and it included a jar of Little's Colombian coffee which I'd never heard of. I dismissed it as some cheap freeze-dried Nescafe knock-off, but after trying it I was surprised to find it's genuinely good coffee. That led me to trying other Little's blends and flavours. I've not had a bad one yet, with the best being the Ethiopian blend which has a subtle chocolate flavour.

Ultimately I don't care about what should make the best coffee in theory, or any of the other snobbery some people have with it. What I care about is the end result, and against all logic the one that's convinced me to stop looking elsewhere is a granulated coffee. This stuff is damn tasty. And honestly, I don't miss the mess that comes with a cafetiere.

EDIT - On the other side of the coin, avoid Beanies instant coffee like the plague. It all tastes vaguely of Playdoh.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:55 am

The petty schadenfreude of being publicly and haughtily told you've spelled something incorrectly, only to double-check the dictionary and demonstrate that you were correct.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:49 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 am
Little's coffee.

Over the last couple of years I've tried loads of different types of coffee and methods of making it (fresh beans, coffee grounds, coffee bags, etc), with mixed results. At Christmas work sent everyone in the company a small hamper of tat, and it included a jar of Little's Colombian coffee which I'd never heard of. I dismissed it as some cheap freeze-dried Nescafe knock-off, but after trying it I was surprised to find it's genuinely good coffee. That led me to trying other Little's blends and flavours. I've not had a bad one yet, with the best being the Ethiopian blend which has a subtle chocolate flavour.

Ultimately I don't care about what should make the best coffee in theory, or any of the other snobbery some people have with it. What I care about is the end result, and against all logic the one that's convinced me to stop looking elsewhere is a granulated coffee. This stuff is damn tasty. And honestly, I don't miss the mess that comes with a cafetiere.

EDIT - On the other side of the coin, avoid Beanies instant coffee like the plague. It all tastes vaguely of Playdoh.
I am an in-between coffee snob I think. I bought a DeLonghi Magnifica bean to cup machine about 9 years ago (used daily and still going strong, wholeheartedly recommended) in an Amazon sale but drink Taylors of Harrogate espresso pretty much exclusively. I like the flavour of fresh ground coffee over instant but don't tend to experiment with different blends.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:25 am

It's my cousin's wedding today, and given the covid situation and the fact that it is pitch black and pelting it down all day, I am riotously happy that I wasn't invited. :lol: To be fair I've not seen her in probably 15 years outside of one funeral, so I wasn't expecting an invite, but my parents have been strong-armed into it and they are not best pleased. I'm done with weddings - I've been to so many over the last decade that not being invited to one feels like a small lottery win.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:42 pm

Shatner.
Isn’t he just the best? One of the few celebs I would genuinely love to spend some time with. Also thankfully safely home from his trip to space at 90.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:27 pm

Love the Shatner

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:00 pm

Isn't Shatner supposed to be a bit of an arsehole?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:34 pm

Massively so I believe

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:18 pm

Yeah sadly he joins that list of people who are better as their characters.

PSA: The Clarkson Hammond May eps of Top Gear are now on iplayer. All of them including season 1. This has made my day.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 am

Raid wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:00 pm
Aww, nooo! I always thought he seemed dead nice. Granted my sources are his direct output and Henry Rollins stories about him.

Oh well, can a mod move these posts to 101 :cry:

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:41 am

Alan wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 am
Raid wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:00 pm
Aww, nooo! I always thought he seemed dead nice. Granted my sources are his direct output and Henry Rollins stories about him.

Oh well, can a mod move these posts to 101 :cry:
From what I recall, he was confronted by several old cast members ages ago, and as told by a reporter that interviewed Shatner around that time, he convincingly feigned innocence - "Really? I didn't know I was all that bad, I feel bummed about it" sorta thing. I think that he's mellowed with age, in any case, and has been humbled by his physical ailments to the point that he's feeling rather more human, after all, like the rest of us.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:18 am

Room 101.5

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:30 am

I find this whole celebrity/billionaire race for space lark to be kind of ridiculous. Pure ego trip narcissism of the highest order, blowing all that money on space tourism while we're busy destroying the environment around us. I'm sure some positive advancements will come out of it, but none of it sits well with me regardless.

One positive thing is that it did produce all the Jeff Bezos/Dr Evil memes which I find highly entertaining.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:57 am

There is an argument that in the medium term, advances in space travel / colonisation will have the biggest positive impact on climate change because it could lead to things like industry moving into space or to Mars, thus removing all the ensuing pollution from Earth. But yeah, right now it's just rich people burning money to burn holes in the atmosphere for no good reason.

What's truly terrifying is that if Dr Evil demanded his once-ludicrous amount of $100bn from Jeff Bezos, he could give it to him and still have $91bn to spare. The extent to which the super-rich have accelerated their wealth in the last decade is obscene.