The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Exciting adventures IRL.
arqueturus

Re: The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Post by arqueturus » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:36 pm

I'm a bit of a Whisky fan myself having large collection of various ones, I'm also partial to wine and decent beers.

Tommy

Re: The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Post by Tommy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:35 pm

arqueturus wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:36 pm
I'm a bit of a Whisky fan myself having large collection of various ones, I'm also partial to wine and decent beers.
This has not went well for me.

I'm going to give it another go tonight I think. Might try it with a little water.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:52 pm

I'm a big whisky fan and generally always stick a massive ice cube in with mine. It dilutes it nicely and at the right speed so you can savour the flavour without risk of watering it down too much too fast.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:20 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:52 pm
I'm a big whisky fan and generally always stick a massive ice cube in with mine. It dilutes it nicely and at the right speed so you can savour the flavour without risk of watering it down too much too fast.
I know this isn't what you were saying, but this is also another reason Whisky belongs in the other room. No matter what you do - neat, ice-cube, water - you're always doing it wrong. There's an unwritten law that the person you're drinking it with doesn't drink it in the same way.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:25 pm

I remember being on a stag do in the states a few years ago my mate spent about a good 80 dollars getting himself, me the groom and the brides brother a whiskey.

It was some proper stuff that we had to savour apparently, you could definitely taste the alcohol content, I'm not a pro on whiskey but when your mates spent that much...

Anyway the brother came up took the whiskey and downed it in one without realising and was like "woah my god what is that?!", good times :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:50 am

Tommy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:20 pm
I know this isn't what you were saying, but this is also another reason Whisky belongs in the other room. No matter what you do - neat, ice-cube, water - you're always doing it wrong. There's an unwritten law that the person you're drinking it with doesn't drink it in the same way.
As a big whisky fan, I couldn’t care less how anyone else drinks theirs. I sometimes get scoffs or gasps from people who think they know better when I have a single malt with a fair amount of water, but I’ve long stopped caring. As much as I enjoy the taste of neat whisky, it plays havoc with my stomach these days so a good slosh of water makes it drinkable without completely annihilating the flavour.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:27 am

Yeah, when it comes to whisky, drink it how you like it.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:32 am

This:

http://radio.garden/visit/rabat/VDjqHmJF

The world's radio stations, click any green dot to listen in live.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:54 am

Raid wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:04 pm
I tend to go through phases of what alcohol I enjoy. At the moment I'm on wine, in the past I've gone through phases of fancy G&Ts, mid-range whiskies, white beers and so on. Currently I can't stomach the idea of neat spirits; they don't last long enough and I can't really enjoy them with food as I find them too strong to compliment it.
Same here. I really enjoy making cocktails, trying various strong ales and IPAs, and California has so many vineyards I'll never run out of new bottles to try. But I really can't drink without eating, makes my stomach do somersaults. Thus I need a variety of different alcohols to drink, because a nice deep cabernet goes great with spaghetti, but that Irish Coffee? Not so much, that's more for dessert time.

Found myself drinking much less these days, anyway, and my wallet thanks me for that. Still, I can praise a great, homemade Old Fashioned! And I'd make one right now except I don't have any cherries, which for me are mandatory :)
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:05 am

Had a minor win last night. Got a takeaway curry (chicken karalla - superb) and found an extra curry in the bag. I phoned to let them know just in case it was someone else's but they said don't worry about it, so I have a free bonus curry today! \:D/

Not sure what it is. I haven't opened it to sample yet, but it's medium brown and has something scrawled on the tub beginning with p. Not passanda, but possibly pathia? Hopefully not prawns.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:31 am

Started tracking my walking 400 days ago exactly. Today I hit 1,000 lifetime miles. Five years ago you would never have seen a third of that. Still a long way to go but only way is up.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Rossell wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:31 am
Started tracking my walking 400 days ago exactly. Today I hit 1,000 lifetime miles. Five years ago you would never have seen a third of that. Still a long way to go but only way is up.
Fair play mate. Are you walking everyday?

I've let work get in the way of racking the miles up massively since Jan. Might try and start a competition over March, think that might get me out and about.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:03 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:05 am
Had a minor win last night. Got a takeaway curry (chicken karalla - superb) and found an extra curry in the bag. I phoned to let them know just in case it was someone else's but they said don't worry about it, so I have a free bonus curry today! \:D/

Not sure what it is. I haven't opened it to sample yet, but it's medium brown and has something scrawled on the tub beginning with p. Not passanda, but possibly pathia? Hopefully not prawns.
I've seen pathia spelled patiya before, if that's of any help. The pathias I've had are usually more deep red than brown, but as with all Indian takeaways the recipes can differ significantly from place to place. Pathia is, as a general rule though, my favourite Indian curry.

Edit: In fact given that I think we still live in the same city, it's Nice N Spicy that call it a Patiya.

Tommy wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:42 pm
I've let work get in the way of racking the miles up massively since Jan. Might try and start a competition over March, think that might get me out and about.
One of the things that factors quite heavily in to my job searches is whether I can walk to work or not, partially because I enjoy walking but for a long time it was the only exercise I got. An average month for me involves about 70km just walking to and from work.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:46 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:03 pm
Wrathbone wrote:

I've seen pathia spelled patiya before, if that's of any help. The pathias I've had are usually more deep red than brown, but as with all Indian takeaways the recipes can differ significantly from place to place. Pathia is, as a general rule though, my favourite Indian curry.

Edit: In fact given that I think we still live in the same city, it's Nice N Spicy that call it a Patiya.
It's Bombay Balti I went to. I had a gander at the mystery curry and there was no meat or identifiable vegetable, just a lot of sauce that didn't smell very appetising, so I gave it a miss.

Incidentally, I used to go to N&S all the time but gave up a few years ago after the quality progressively got worse and worse. The nail in the coffin was when a friend of a friend was sexually assaulted by a member of staff (off premises, I believe). She never reported it to the authorities, but supposedly the management were aware and did nothing. Not sure if he still works there, but I decided there were plenty of better alternatives.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:56 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:03 pm
Wrathbone wrote:

Tommy wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:42 pm
One of the things that factors quite heavily in to my job searches is whether I can walk to work or not, partially because I enjoy walking but for a long time it was the only exercise I got. An average month for me involves about 70km just walking to and from work.
My journey into the office from my flat in Edinburgh isn't too far. Since I suspect we're looking at 3 days a week in the office from now on (possibly) I don't see why I won't walk to and from work every day.

EDIT: I mean, obviously laziness but other than that.