The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:49 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:46 pm
Incidentally, I used to go to N&S all the time but gave up a few years ago after the quality progressively got worse and worse. The nail in the coffin was when a friend of a friend was sexually assaulted by a member of staff (off premises, I believe). She never reported it to the authorities, but supposedly the management were aware and did nothing. Not sure if he still works there, but I decided there were plenty of better alternatives.
I stopped buying from them a few years back too. I know the owners were imprisoned several years back for employing illegal workers and not paying minimum wage, and there was a story in the Lancaster Guardian that they were fined heavily for a customer finding a metal screw in the middle of a bhaji. It's not somewhere I'd buy from again, even before hearing about sexual assault to add to the list.

Rossell

Re: The Room 102 thread - for things you love or just having a bloody good praise!

Post by Rossell » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:39 am

Tommy wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:42 pm
Rossell wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:31 am
Started tracking my walking 400 days ago exactly. Today I hit 1,000 lifetime miles. Five years ago you would never have seen a third of that. Still a long way to go but only way is up.
Fair play mate. Are you walking everyday?

I've let work get in the way of racking the miles up massively since Jan. Might try and start a competition over March, think that might get me out and about.
Not quite every day, I'd try at least to get 2-3 days every week with a good solid 5k walked. Luckily for me in lockdown I live near some woodland so I can also easily get a 10k without too many people and just have to contend with the weather.

I'd definitely give it a go mate, stick yourself a twenty in a jar and set a target and at the end of the month, get yourself a pressie :D

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:46 pm

I just listened to the wind on the surface of another planet. It sounded a lot like the wind on Earth. But it wasn't, it was the wind on Mars.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love NASA?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:12 pm

Just think, within our lifetimes we may even get to hear the wind from Uranus...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:46 pm

Not even the obvious low hanging fruit of Uranus humour could dissuade me from talking about space wind. ¬_¬

Honestly, I still get giddy like a school child when it comes to space exploration. I'm already planning on getting that amazing Lego model of the Saturn V to decorate the house I just had an offer accepted on.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:59 pm

I did some air punches watching this not gonna lie.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:03 pm

It is a fantastic achievement. Apparently, the external cameras are just unaltered GoPros!
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:06 pm

eny wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:03 pm
It is a fantastic achievement. Apparently, the external cameras are just unaltered GoPros!
That can't be right surely? They're accidentally suitable for Mars?!

eny

Post by eny » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:27 pm

I watched some boffin talking about them on BBC World News, but I can't find anything that backs him up, so he sounds like he got the wrong end of whatever information he based that opinion on.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 pm

Yeah, NASA spent $2.2billion on the Perseverance hardware, I'm willing to bet they haven't used off-the-shelf GoPros. It's not the first time I've heard the brand name associated with the project though, so clearly someone has mentioned them at some point and it's stuck.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 pm

Look I know I'm not the only one but when I replied on the thread I fully expected a BBC article to prove me wrong. Colour me naiive.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:29 am

A rare scenario this, but when someone boorishly insists that the correct term for the Union Jack is the Union Flag, so that I can then swoop in and boorishly correct them by explaining that it's been referred to as the Union Jack as long as it's existed, and that the Admiralty confirmed in 1902 that both terms were equally valid, which was approved in parliament in 1908. [-(

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:46 am

The level of sheer dedication here is humbling

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 am

Daft thing and not sure how new it is but just noticed a setting on iPhone’s Face ID where if it can’t fully verify your face because of a mask but you have an Apple Watch unlocked and on your wrist it’ll still unlock the phone much anyway like how watch unlock works on mac. It’s great! \:D/
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:42 pm

Are you running beta versions of iOS and/or watchOS? I didn't think that feature was released yet.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.