Exciting adventures IRL.
Hatredsheart

Re: Cars

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Mantis wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:14 pm
Hatredsheart wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:48 am
Got a 2019 plate Ford C-Max Titanium atm (mobility lease).
Got a 5 hour drive to Manchester in it tomorrow, wish they weren't still upgrading to smart motorway between Birmingham and Manchester :(
They've been upgrading that stretch of motorway for about four years now I swear. I used to make that trip frequently in 2015-2017 and huge swathes of it was always restricted by works.

Ladies and gents I give you the classic British industrial spirit and productivity.
Yup, due to be completed 2021 if they're on schedule.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:45 pm

It's been 18 months since I headed in that direction they've still not finished it? :x

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:22 pm

I grew up in a tiny village on the Hampshire-Berkshire border and so public transport was something I had heard about existing in cities, but not something I ever really experienced. The one time every year that I got a train was when my dad would bring me and my sister into London around Christmas time. So of course I had to learn to drive as soon as possible and I never really considered any alternative form of transport for a long time.

I had an Audi 80 for a very long time. It was an old car, but pretty reliable and built like a fucking tank. This was most noticeable when driving between Stirling and St Andrews in about 2005 during a blizzard and a problem developed with the engine. I pulled over all called the RAC who finally found us an hour later. They managed to fix the issue but in doing so had to cut the power steering belt in order to attach a new alternator belt. (I wasn't kidding about the blizzard; half the engine was frozen so he couldn't get to the alternator belt without cutting off the belt in front of it). I had to drive the final 20 miles without power assistance and fuck me was that car a nightmare to turn. I had to get the guy in the passenger seat to help me turn the steering wheel for the last couple of miles. :shock:

Other than that episode it was a great car until some dicknipple rammed into the back at me at 70mph whilst I was stationary in traffic. The rear bumper was relocated into the rear wheel arches and the usually large boot was reduced to the size of a Sainsbury's Bag For Life but thankfully my girlfriend and I were perfectly unharmed. It was so old by that point that it wasn't worth repairing so the insurance paid out and I got a new car. Alas, not an Audi 80 again. I think it was a Vauxhall Vectra, but to be honest I don't really remember.

When I moved to London I did away with the car after a couple of months because it was just sitting there gathering dust. I've got a ZipCar membership for if I ever want to use a car for a few hours or days, otherwise I get public transport or walk anywhere I need to go.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:43 am

Mantis wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:14 pm
Hatredsheart wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:48 am
Got a 2019 plate Ford C-Max Titanium atm (mobility lease).
Got a 5 hour drive to Manchester in it tomorrow, wish they weren't still upgrading to smart motorway between Birmingham and Manchester :(
They've been upgrading that stretch of motorway for about four years now I swear. I used to make that trip frequently in 2015-2017 and huge swathes of it was always restricted by works.

Ladies and gents I give you the classic British industrial spirit and productivity.
They did the stretch of the M3 that I had to use and that took 5-6 years. Everyone having to drive at 50 because of the men at work, of which there were never any evident. All in order to install a stretch of piggy-bank.

On cars, first off Doug if you need to drive once per month, hire a car once per month. Owning makes zero sense for you.

Secondly, I am one of the car nerds that Mantis doesn't get. Always been a petrolhead, I think I get it from my dad. I love cars - the performance, styling, handling, everything pretty much. I have a 2.5 litre Ford Focus ST which has been tickled by Ford's tuning arm to around 275bhp, giving me around 5 seconds to 60 and very nice handling. It is a total indulgence, it gives appalling miles per gallon and is my only car so is used in my 80 mile daily commute (3 days a week, I work from home the other two), but it puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it. It is noisy, I am old enough and should know better, but I love it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:48 am

Snowy wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:43 am
On cars, first off Doug if you need to drive once per month, hire a car once per month. Owning makes zero sense for you.
I think you're right. I would use it even less than that, actually. I walk everywhere except for when I take the family on outings, and that is usually only in the summer months.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:23 am

I'm the proud owner of a 2013 Ford fiesta 1.0 ecoboost which is without a doubt one of the best engines I've ever driven.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:16 pm

My previous car was a 2001 Octavia 4x4 estate, great car, but work needed doing that wasn't cost effective so chucked that for.....another Octavia, an 09 mk 2 1.9tdi PD, automatic this time, which I've had for 18 months now, and love to bits. Flies when I need it to, comfortable to cruise in, loads of room, and 50 to the gallon on average.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
Λ™Ζƒuıʇıɹʍ ʎuΔ±Κ‡ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpΔ±sdn

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:53 am

Happy Snowy/Sad Snowy.

Sad because tomorrow I will say goodbye to my beloved Ford Asbo, the first car I have owned that I just 100% loved. It has been a faithful companion for 5 years and 60,000 miles and has been cherished the whole time.

Happy because I am trading it in against a beautiful BMW M135i. Just as much of a loony wrapped up in a more mature package than the ST.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:09 am

Going from front to rear wheel drive then. Watch the weather or you'll be going through a hedge backwards ;)

Really though, enjoy it that sounds ace :D

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:41 am

Drarok wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:26 am
I would very much like to replace it with a Skoda Octavia VRS Estate for some extra fun, but also considerably more space for lugging kid stuff around. That won't happen until 2020 at the very earliest, and that's a very slim chance at all.
This is no longer the plan. I would absolutely love to do it, but it probably doesn't make sense to get another fuel-based car when our city is pushing to make the whole centre emission-free.

We test-drove a Nissan Leaf several months back, before the world turned upside down. Really, really nice! The boot is massive compared to the Fiesta we currently drive, it's all-electric with some shiny toys (like adaptive cruise control, CarPlay/Android Auto, proper climate control), and there's a lot of infrastructure in and around our area. Getting a faster-than-13A-socket charger for the house is only around Β£500 with grants, and the savings from fuel (even calculating in the increase in electricity) mean it's a no-brainer compared with any fuel-based car.

We're lucky the longest journey we ever need to do is ~90mi to my in-laws where we could spend the day with it plugged in before heading home, and the wife's workplace has chargers and reduced parking fees.

Hopefully if and when the world stops shitting itself inside-out we can re-visit the dealership and find a decent deal.
Raid wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Me99

Post by Me99 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:17 pm

I recently got a Jaguar XE 180D, needed a bigger car from the small smelly pooey thing that popped out of my girlfriend recently. :o

Had it all of 4 months before a truck smashed into the side of me while making a right hand turn...

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:28 pm

Aw man what a gutter!

Mine is a heart over head purchase, I am buying it knowing there will be uncertain times ahead employment-wise. That said, worst case I can always sell it and as a mate said to me before I went to test drive it, you only live the once.

Rossell you aren't kidding though - I had a Lexus IS300 and a Jaguar XF, both rear wheel drive (and the Lexus in particular could get very out of shape) so I have a little experience there. I have seen though that Goodwood (close to me) does an hour's skid-pan training using the M140i to learn in for Β£100, so I think I am going to book myself in there for a refresher in an almost identical car.

Anyhow, roll on tomorrow!
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018