The Hobbies and Model-Making Thread

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Hobbies and Model-Making Thread

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Yeah, it's a deceptively large aircraft, same with the F-4 Phantom. The F-14D could carry twice as much ordnance as a WW2 heavy bomber. It was a monster of a fighter.

I've never been able to paint the little pilot figures that come with the Gunpla kits. I just don't have a steady enough hand for small details, which is one of the reasons I airbrush everything.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:35 pm

About 20 seconds into this video, it shows the size really well with the guy standing on the fuselage.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Yup. And a model of it was actually the basis of one of the hideous kitbash ships that featured (maybe, I forget whether this one actually appeared in an episode) in Star Trek DS9, the USS Elkins.

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:54 am

that is a sweet model OP, looks awesome.

My brother did a trip around the world and gave me a gundum model for christmas one year, i have it sitting in my closet on a dresser.

I plan on picking up a DIY miniature picade. https://www.adafruit.com/product/4334

not quite a model, but it looks like it will be a fun project to spend a few hours putting together. planning on buying it in the next month or so.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 am

Someone I work with is building a two player Picade with a friend, though they're building the cabinet from scratch rather than using a kit. It's a really nice looking little project, and I do get name checked a few times in their videos as I'm producing a 3D printed button featuring their channel logo. They're adding a slightly ambitious system that raises a rack of Dualshock controllers up from behind the screen for additional players.

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:50 am

Raid wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 am
Someone I work with is building a two player Picade with a friend, though they're building the cabinet from scratch rather than using a kit. It's a really nice looking little project, and I do get name checked a few times in their videos as I'm producing a 3D printed button featuring their channel logo. They're adding a slightly ambitious system that raises a rack of Dualshock controllers up from behind the screen for additional players.
yeah that is sweet, and would be a lot of fun to do. I am getting this small one as a test run to see if I want to dive into trying to make a bigger one myself. I've been doing lots of research the last few weeks on them and there are lots of options when it comes to arcades in how involved you want to be and their setup.

I will most likely down the line buy the street fighter 2 arcade1up machine and mod it to play more games. after that if I continue to grow my collection and stay involved with the hobby im thinking of trying to build a full size arcade cabinet from scratch or buy another DIY kit.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:36 am

I'm currently working on a wargaming project for a set of rules called STRANGE AEONS -- small-scale skirmishes that take place in H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.

One player forms a team of plucky investigators, the other player takes on the role of cultists, or the various horrors they venerate.

I wanted to make a car for my investigator team to transport them from one scenario to another (and make the tabletop look a bit cooler), so I purchased a 1927 Willys Knight Sedan kit from Dixon Miniatures. Progress so far:

Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:42 pm

Cool project Doug.

I'm on a little break from my hobby desk right now, my lower back has been playing up, but I've been wondering whether to stick to my idea of just making another model or doing something more creative. Perhaps a very small diorama or something.

I've painted miniatures before but they kinda just stand there on the shelf by themselves. Building a little snapshot of a location - like a dingy neon-lit alleyway - for the figure to stand in would be a lot more interesting.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:01 am

Dioramas are something I really want to try eventually. Take a look at this example (that isn't mine) I've sorta lusted over for years:

There're a ton more photos including a few of the individual components here. It's probably worth mentioning that the Gundam in this diorama is smaller than the ones I build; this diorama would fill my desk if built to the scale I usually go for.

This guy does some amazingly realistic looking dioramas. As with just about everything these days, Youtube holds a wealthy of knowledge on the topic, and I could sit for hours watching this stuff.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:09 pm

I don't do naything crafty at all but still enojy watching people building dioramas :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:05 am

Meanwhile, here's an update on the 1920s car. Slowly taking (a rather wonky) shape...

The hissing of rats

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:04 pm

And this is the car fully assembled, except for the steering wheel, which I'm struggling to attach as it doesn't have any sort of (adequate) anchorage. I might create my own by drilling a hole in the chassis.

Overall, despite having the general shape of a 1920s car, it's a bit of a wonky-fitting piece of kit that certainly wouldn't stand up to scrutiny as a proper scale model. If I wanted accuracy and detail (and straight lines), I might have been better off buying an actual scale model and just re-painting it. But, I quite fancied the challenge of assembling an all-metal vehicle and, once fully painted up (as I hope to do soon), it should serve as a as a nice bit of wargaming decor.
The hissing of rats

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:18 am

Here's a barbarian I've been painting for the last couple of nights:

I bought this guy a while ago for a home-made Advanced Hero Quest kit. Glad he's finally finished! I think I'm going to try and push ahead with this project, which means I'll need to buy an elf, dwarf and wizard to accompany him.

As for enemies, I have a small group of ghouls and a vampire to lead them.
The hissing of rats

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:37 am

Very nice work Doug.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:06 pm

I built a second vehicle -- this time a truck.

I've decided to give both these vehicles -- the truck and the car -- to the sinister cult I've just finished painting:

The hissing of rats