The Covid-19 Thread

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The Covid-19 Thread

Post by Sly Boots » Sun May 03, 2020 11:10 pm

Thanks guys. I think she will be fine as I think the main infection must have been some weeks ago when she actually seemed to have a cold, and this is just after-effects.

In a weird way, I feel ok about it. I've been saying to the wife for weeks I'd be over the moon if I had already had it, as I would have put myself in the high-risk bracket being overweight, diabetic and in my 40s. If I've had it and only mildly then for me personally that's almost best-case.

My wife though was devastated at the thought when she first thought she'd had it, as she works with vulnerable children and adults and was horrified that she may have unwittingly spread it. In our near 20 years together I'd never seen her so low and was actually quite concerned with her mental state. I guess for her the confirmation tonight isn't a reprieve like it feels for me, but a reaffirming of her worst fears.

My eldest has been quite tearful tonight saying she's worried about her grandparents, done her best to comfort her but at the same time you can't outright deny there's something serious happening right now.

Shitty times, really. Hope you and yours are doing ok MM, when you said a while back how ill you were I thought there was a chance you had had it, and sorry about the sense of smell. I'm sure it will come back, though, pretty sure I've read about similar cases.

Stay safe, everyone.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun May 03, 2020 11:38 pm

Congratulations on your new antibodies! I feel for your wife though. That kind of reaction just means she’s an awesome super caring person. The best of us always force more weight on their own shoulders.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon May 04, 2020 2:38 am

Wishing you and your family well Sly, stay safe all.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon May 04, 2020 6:47 am

Aye chin up Alan, props to your wife too. Nobody could know they have this thing, it is what is so insidious about it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon May 04, 2020 6:56 am

Hope your family's doing okay Sly.

I now believe my 'winter bug' back in late Feb/early March was Covid-19. I had reduced lung capacity for 7-10 days afterwards which I'd never had from a bug before.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon May 04, 2020 7:08 am

Hope everyone's okay, Sly.

I've had the weird toe thing the last few days, not exactly swollen but sore at the ends and very much like chilblains. Aside from my knee flaring up (which I'm attributing to an attempt at exercise), no other symptoms. I guess it could be a sign that I've had a mild bout of COVID-19, although I've been at home by myself for the last 7 weeks and I've been militantly careful about items brought into the house. Could also be an odd coincidence.

If only there were some kind of test, though I think I've more chance of discovering the lost treasure of the Sierra Madre while astride a unicorn.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon May 04, 2020 8:24 am

Thanks chaps. Her temp had come right back down by the time she was back last night, and aside from the sore toe - which, typically, she managed to stub within moments of setting foot inside the house, which was extremely painful - she seems ok within herself, though obviously we're going to be keeping a close eye on her.

I do feel like the worst is over here given that we've stuck strictly to the lockdown protocols and I'm the only one to have left the house for a weekly trip to the supermarket, while observing social distancing, and it's been a few weeks since we had mild illness. At least that's what we hope.

It has brought things closer to home, though, certainly, and from what some of you are saying it does sound as if at least a few of us have had it. It makes you think about how widespread this really is. I saw a report on Iceland, which has been aggressively testing its population - the highest rate in the world by far - and discovered that half of those they tested had had it, and of those a significant proportion were either asymptomatic or had it only mildly. There's doubtless many, many more people out there who have/had it and not been recorded in the official figures.

Even the testing, the doctor last night said that while they won't give false positives they do give false negatives and are only 70% effective... so basically even of those that have been tested, the figures could be up to a third higher than official figures. And they also only test for active infections not antibodies... my wife is still looking into getting a drive-through test as she is eligible given the nature of her work (though she hasn't been working since the lockdown started, which is why she's not done so previously), but it's more from thoroughness than any expectation it will confirm anything.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue May 05, 2020 2:08 pm

My wife is a nurse, working out of Guildford hospital. They were testing staff and patients and had found one in each category who tested positive.

Then the government 'hit' it's target and so all the testing has there now stopped and there is no urgency, despite the testing identifying two positive cases.

Fucking idiocy, how can such shit ever be allowed. I pray that there is a reckoning for this shit don't think it will never happen.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 05, 2020 3:04 pm

Snowy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:08 pm
I pray that there is a reckoning for this shit don't think it will never happen.
There has to be. Once this is all over, there must be accountability for the fact that our current death rate for confirmed cases is around 15%, compared for example to 5% in the US. Our response to it is demonstrably worse than almost any other country in the world.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue May 05, 2020 3:36 pm

I think mortality rates and death totals are rather all over the place at the moment. So many countries are classifying deaths with/from Covid-19 in different ways, or not even including certain areas like care home deaths at all.

Plus - and for me this is the main issue I have with the Govt/SAGE response - in the UK we were only testing severe hospital cases for ages to begin with, which gave us a falsely high mortality rate compared to many countries which were having mass testing stations for anyone with mild symptoms. Our confirmed cases should be statistically much, much higher in reality, which would bring our mortality rate down to somewhere similar to other countries. It would have given us a much clearer picture of how the virus was progressing early on if we'd been quicker to scale up testing.

Germany seem to be the only major European country to come out of this well. As for the US, there's reportedly all sorts of inconsistencies in how all their states are choosing to allocate Covid-19 as cause of death. It'll take years to get a true picture of real international figures I reckon.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue May 05, 2020 5:29 pm

Even if they upscaled testing enough to get a more accurate reflection of the mortality rate it doesn't change that our overall response has been so poor that we have over 30,000 deaths before you even consider those who aren't part of the official statistics like care home deaths and such.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue May 05, 2020 7:53 pm

on a brighter side - is anyone enjoying the reduction of airplane noises and lower car fuel pollution. The air just feels a lot cleaner.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed May 06, 2020 6:12 am

The frequent stream of traffic going by my house hasn’t reduced at all, so not really. :(

Really not enjoying the increased noise pollution from arsehole neighbours either.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed May 06, 2020 2:09 pm

so I write a monthly blog on games if anyone wants to read them

This is latest one on the virus

https://www.b2boost.eu/resources_article.cfm?postID=89

The rest are here

https://www.b2boost.eu/resources.cfm
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed May 06, 2020 4:24 pm

We're still frequently hitting 500+ hospital deaths a day and BJ is talking about measures to relax the lockdown next week.

I don't think it is going to take much for slightly relaxed measures to be taken as carte blanche by a lot of the public to start returning to normal. We are still at 6000+ new cases a day though. I wish I could say that I had faith that the Government was on top of things and taking the right course of action based on expert advice, but I'm really concerned that we're on course for another huge spike and total shutdown again.