The Covid-19 Thread

Exciting adventures IRL.
Pew-Pew

Re: The Covid-19 Thread

Post by Pew-Pew » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:30 pm

No...?

Hong Kong is having an awful time atm because their elderly population has a weirdly low vaccination rate (something like 50% doubly vaccinated over the age of 70), and this is the first massive wave that they've had.

China really needs to decide how it is going to act with this virus in the future. There is literally no way that it is disappearing, and they are going to have to stop trying to contain it at some point (like the rest of the world) if they want to have some semblance of normality. Zero covid is impossible.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:33 pm

The one thing to recognise is that China has a zero-tolerance policy, so shuts down as soon as a few infections are recorded, but the point is we have BA2 running rife here, and zero real mitigations in place...just how bad will it get before action, and will that action be effective.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:12 am

I imagine it's far more rampant here now than the stats let on due to the reduced testing going on. I can't seem to order LFTs online anymore, presumably due to them winding down ready for when they stop being free at the end of the month.

Anecdotally I know a lot more people coming down with it in the last two weeks than any of them ever did over the entire pandemic.

It's been a rough few days, only just getting over the fatigue and headache element now. The biggest shocker was my sense of taste and smell randomly disappearing last night, hopefully that won't be the case for too long because it's driving me mad.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:18 am

eny wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:33 pm
The one thing to recognise is that China has a zero-tolerance policy, so shuts down as soon as a few infections are recorded, but the point is we have BA2 running rife here, and zero real mitigations in place...just how bad will it get before action, and will that action be effective.
I think zero covid policies make zero sense at this point. The entire world is infected, and there is no chance of eliminating the virus - it will come back at least every winter along with all of the other seasonal viruses. Omicron (and BA.2, which is a subvariant of omicron) is not as deadly as previous variants and spreads far more easily. As long as the population is vaccinated I think there is not much reason to keep most restrictions that we used to have. China is going to realise this at some point - locking down entire cities of millions of people is expensive and ultimately pointless IF you have given vulnerable people vaccinations. It is going to run through the population at some point regardless of what they do.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:59 pm

After 2 years of doing everything in our power to avoid it, my mums come down with covid. Double jabbed and boosted thankfully. It's knocked her for six with flush symptoms but hopefully a couple of days she'll be alright.

Currently wearing masks indoors atm, I do fear I'm next even though I am testing negative. The 20s are just getting worse.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:02 am

I am finally (after two weeks) back to testing negative, though I'm still really tired and have a productive cough (not the dry hacking non-stop one I feared though, silver linings).

My temperature is still unstable, my hands are freezing and my body feels too warm.

The wife succumbed a few days back, and today so did the boy (he's three) so I've had her working from home, I'm looking after him, and we're all knackered.

Oh, and I was made redundant only six weeks into my employment (announced on Monday last week, went into effect on Friday), so that's nice as well. Should probably go to Room 101 with this, but the Room 102 post is that I lined up and accepted a new job the day before I was officially laid off with a single week's notice (actually pay in lieu of notice, which is good for looking after the boy this week).

Ugh.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:32 am

Drarok wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:02 am
I am finally (after two weeks) back to testing negative, though I'm still really tired and have a productive cough (not the dry hacking non-stop one I feared though, silver linings).

My temperature is still unstable, my hands are freezing and my body feels too warm.

The wife succumbed a few days back, and today so did the boy (he's three)

Fever gone but itchy. Today hungry and eat doggy food.

Itchy itchy Scott came ugly face so killed him. Tasty.

Itchy. Tasty.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:47 am

Drarok wrote:
Oh, and I was made redundant only six weeks into my employment (announced on Monday last week, went into effect on Friday), so that's nice as well. Should probably go to Room 101 with this, but the Room 102 post is that I lined up and accepted a new job the day before I was officially laid off with a single week's notice (actually pay in lieu of notice, which is good for looking after the boy this week).

Ugh.
Sounds rough, but positive with the new job. Congratusorry…? :-k

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:39 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:32 am
Drarok wrote:

The wife succumbed a few days back, and today so did the boy (he's three)

Fever gone but itchy. Today hungry and eat doggy food.

Itchy itchy Scott came ugly face so killed him. Tasty.

Itchy. Tasty.
:D

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:42 am

So youngest daughter has Covid for the third time, and second time since November -_-

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:23 am

My turn to have covid and its bloody awful.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:00 pm

How are you guys doing? Are you fully recovered yet?

Also:

The government has washed its filthy hands. I have never felt more despairing at the direction our great nation is heading, without any REAL calling to account.

– Abraham Lincoln

eny

Post by eny » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:16 pm

There is a public consultation on how the official UK Covid enquiry should be run apparently...it ENDS on 7th April.

https://covid19.public-inquiry.uk

Doesn't take too long to add your thoughts on what should be included, most of the questions are multiple choice. I would advise a read of the draft terms beforehand so anything you think they have missed can be suggested.

– Abraham Lincoln

eny

Post by eny » Wed May 04, 2022 9:37 pm

Delta hasn't gone away, there is a strong possibility of a new wave this summer:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-r ... -comeback/

– Abraham Lincoln

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue May 24, 2022 1:04 pm

Question; how many of you are still wearing a face mask when you go somewhere like a supermarket? This isn't meant as a judgement, I'm genuinely curious.

I rarely go to a big supermarket these days (I do a big shop to be delivered every six weeks or so, and buy small amounts of fresh stuff more regularly elsewhere), but popped in this morning for stuff I can't get at my usual place and realised that almost everyone was mask-less. I honestly felt a bit conspicuous.