The Covid-19 Thread

Exciting adventures IRL.
Achtung Englander

Re: The Covid-19 Thread

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed May 27, 2020 2:12 pm

well didn't he go around stating he wanted to break the mould

I am not a tory boy - I voted for Kinnock and Blair 3 times and Green once. I moved to the Tory party with Cameron and stayed with them as Labour lost their way. If David Miliband was leader I would have voted Labour

I am conservative (with a little c) by nature
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Wed May 27, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed May 27, 2020 2:14 pm

People have astonishingly short memories for this sort of thing. By the time the next election comes along, the same people will doubtless be singing the media narrative of how the noble Tories saw us through the crisis. Christ, if the Cummings story survives until next week I'll be surprised - I fully expect some bait-and-switch story to be announced soon as a distraction.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed May 27, 2020 2:58 pm

They've now given up on even giving the illusion that they're answering questions, seemingly.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed May 27, 2020 3:26 pm

Boris is being absolutely roasted by the Liaison Committee.

50,000+ dead and he's embarrassing himself completely. Some of the answers he's giving are astonishing. Claims he has the evidence that Cummings didn't break any rules but doesn't think it would be beneficial to share it.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed May 27, 2020 3:36 pm

watching it myself - my God Boris is getting roasted. He is instigator of his own crises here. Just sack the guy and win the moral high ground. This is embarrassing.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu May 28, 2020 9:03 am

Just as shocking as the government's response to the pandemic and support of Cummings, is how they are now seeking to manipulate and where possible silence media criticism. The Newsnight presenter who criticised Cummings was stood down after a reprimand from the BBC, renowned journalists are reporting being blackballed by the BBC under pressure from Ministers, and now this:

This government isn't only killing its own citizens, it's undermining the very notion of democracy. This is behaviour you would expect from a totalitarian regime.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu May 28, 2020 9:22 am

It's outright propaganda. They're not even pretending otherwise now.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu May 28, 2020 10:24 am

Shocked is the wrong word, but felt incredibly dispirited just now when I checked the BBC news site, and not a single mention of Cummings on the news home page or coronavirus or UK sub-sections... it's just been completely whitewashed. So fucking transparent.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu May 28, 2020 11:57 am

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu May 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Jesus fucking christ, people need to stop this anti-intellectual bullshit and start thinking critically for themselves. Wake up, anti-sheeple sheeple!!!
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu May 28, 2020 1:28 pm

I used to follow Spiked until today. Jesus that website has lost the plot. This whole Cummings fiasco is an indication that we are slowly becoming the US. Arguing based on colour of their chosen party not on logic. People are arguing he did not break the rules when it clearly fucking states "stay local" and "only leave your home in case of emergencies or to get food or medicine". There is nothing there about having a jolly on your's wife's birthday

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu May 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:28 pm
I used to follow Spiked until today. Jesus that website has lost the plot. This whole Cummings fiasco is an indication that we are slowly becoming the US. Arguing based on colour of their chosen party not on logic. People are arguing he did not break the rules when it clearly fucking states "stay local" and "only leave your home in case of emergencies or to get food or medicine". There is nothing there about having a jolly on your's wife's birthday
Durham police have come out today and confirmed he broke lockdown regulations (as if there was any doubt about that already), which rather spikes Johnson et al's pretence that it was all absolutely fine and we should all jolly well move on.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu May 28, 2020 2:32 pm

Is it just a little bit oddly timed that the day it's revealed that the Daily Mail's print advertising revenue is down by 70% is the day we see the Government giving them a sponsored post?

And while I think the BBC hasn't been a particularly reliable news source, I'm fuming over the way they're treating their correspondents who aren't doing the government's bidding. Maitlis "takes a day off" from Newsnight whereas Laura Kuennsberg, BBC Political editor and, I assume, Minister for Pro-Government Propaganda get's complained about and response relegated to a rarely travelled part of the BBC website. The BBC keeps talking about impartiality, but it's only impartial when it's in the sodding government's favour.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu May 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu May 28, 2020 3:38 pm

So is part of having one of the richest economies in the world just the complete fucking over of your poorest citizens? The United States not only spends the most on its military of any country in the world, but it's equal to the expenditure of the next ten countries on that list combined, and yet there are mile long queues of people just trying to eat? What the fuck?