The Covid-19 Thread

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

The Covid-19 Thread

Post by Raid » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:58 pm

I guess we probably ought to have a separate thread for this now, as it feels like it's getting increasingly worth worrying about. Major trade shows are being cancelled, including the Geneva Motor Show and Game Developers Conference. The new James Bond film's release has been put back by 9 months, with the producers saying they don't want the negative publicity of just one person potentially infecting an entire cinema's worth of people. Italy has closed all of its schools. The international death toll is now four times that of SARS from the early 2000s.

Have you started panic buying yet? Worried about your elderly relatives? Looking for rifle-themed pubs to plan a temporary secondment to until it all blows over?

Wrathbone
Local

Re: The Covid-19 thread

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:13 pm

I've voiced concerns in the travel thread about my parents if they catch it, given their existing healt conditions. I'm not as concerned about myself - I'm taking sensible precautions but I'm not about to go out panic buying.

The most interesting thing I've read about the virus in the last few days is that doctors in China and South Korea are reporting something which may seem bleeding obvious, but is nevertheless proving to be an effective prevention and treatment: vitamin C. Lots of it. The research being performed has shown symptoms abating several days after intravenous vitamin C dosage, compared to a couple of weeks for other patients. While a drip isn't an option for home treatment, there is zero harm in boosting your vitamin C levels as a preventative measure. Perhaps it's bollocks, but I'm drinking more fresh orange juice and taking vitamin C tablets, because why not?

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 am

No need to panic buy, we've still got our dry/canned food cupboard thanks to Brexit!

Not too worried about my wife and kid, but my parents are getting closer to the danger zone in terms of age, and my dad travels the country for his work. 😕
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:35 pm

I'll admit I'm worried on the basis of my Asthma. Adamantly it's now the best it's ever been in my life but it's still enough to take me out the running.

So yeah squeaky bum time for the next 3 months at least.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:20 pm

listen guys take this very seriously. This could easily get out of control. A family from my kid's school are self isolating because they think they were in contact with someone who has it, another family I know are also self isolating.

I have been buying food every day now and over-stacking. I want to have food for the family for 2 months. Toilet paper is stupid. Clean yourself with a quick shower or use a bucket bidet solution (its actually healthier !)

Don't be naive. The incubation period is 2 weeks, so people have it and do not know it. I may even have it via my son's school. Who knows.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:29 pm

Fair enough Achtung, you and your family stay safe keep us informed.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:16 pm

Not ideal timing for me - I've recently developed an inflammation problem which is already affecting my ribs/lungs, so I'd quite like this virus to kindly piss off.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:55 pm

The whole thing is annoying as hell tbh.

I'm bothered for my father who's just started radiotherapy and is commuting in and out of London for it now and for the next few weeks.

I'm migrating my entire bank's services from one platform to another, with four different and critical stakeholders in three different countries. If one of them gets shut down in the next week, or if one person in my building of 3-4k people gets it, they are talking about shutting down access to the site, which means i'm suddenly running a migration from a backup BCP site, which i have zero confidence in.

We're taking every precaution we can, but by golly, what an annoyance! Oh, and then i need to work out if the people meant to be travelling to my site in a week will be allowed to, so that they can train / live support the people running new tools on day one. And that's just the teensiest of a million other considerations i have going on.

I want this 18-24 month project done and dusted, and to move on to the next thing. If it all gets pushed back for this then i'm not gonna lie... i'll be pissed. :|
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

eny

Post by eny » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:09 pm

First person has died from it, a Berkshire guy with underlying health issues...
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:02 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:20 pm
listen guys take this very seriously. This could easily get out of control. A family from my kid's school are self isolating because they think they were in contact with someone who has it, another family I know are also self isolating.

I have been buying food every day now and over-stacking. I want to have food for the family for 2 months. Toilet paper is stupid. Clean yourself with a quick shower or use a bucket bidet solution (its actually healthier !)

Don't be naive. The incubation period is 2 weeks, so people have it and do not know it. I may even have it via my son's school. Who knows.
The biggest risk is impact on infrastructure and services, not death. In that respect stocking up is a good idea. However, it's whether it really takes off is the question. I want to get it as quick as possible personally, to get it out the way.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:05 pm

So you can be re-infected sooner?
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:08 pm

Drarok wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:05 pm
So you can be re-infected sooner?
In theory, you should build immunity by getting it just like standard flu until it mutates.

If you get it early you really have more chance of being able to get any care before the system starts to feel the strain.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:34 am

As someone with one of the underlying health conditions that have been flagged as being a major concern, I am a bit worried. As far as I know reading the news every day our area is so far unaffected, but at the first sign of it we shall be battening down the hatches.

Christ, I even dreamed about coronavirus last night :lol:

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:18 am

Was it involving a certain bottle of piss?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:18 am

Rossell wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:18 am
Was it involving a certain bottle of piss?
Er, no.