The Covid-19 Thread

Exciting adventures IRL.
Hatredsheart

Re: The Covid-19 thread

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:43 am

Sly Boots wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:34 am
As someone with one of the underlying health conditions that have been flagged as being a major concern, I am a bit worried. As far as I know reading the news every day our area is so far unaffected, but at the first sign of it we shall be battening down the hatches.
Same here, over 50 and with my health history I wouldn't fancy my chances much. Time to crack on with those outstanding games /books I think :lol:
Not starting any trilogies though. ;)
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:47 am

arqueturus wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:08 pm
Drarok wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:05 pm
So you can be re-infected sooner?
In theory, you should build immunity by getting it just like standard flu until it mutates.

If you get it early you really have more chance of being able to get any care before the system starts to feel the strain.
There have already been several cases of re-infection so it looks like the ability to build up immunity is much lower with Covid-19 than other similar viruses.

I'm currently in Athens and it was crazy to see a good 10-20% of people at the airport wearing masks. Clearly they have not yet heard how useless they are.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:20 am

that is another big fucking headache. Summer holidays. I paid a down-payment and at least I have until end of May to decide whether to pay the balance and go.

Also I am now getting genuinely confused. People who have had it said it is like the flu but without the sneezing. At best its an annoyance. The kill ratio is 3% but mostly people who are dying seem to be over 60. The young seem to be quite resilient to it which makes a very odd virus indeed. So if I do get and its drains my energy and gives me a fever and I recover after 2 weeks - well then its not that bad....I suppose. I can see the need for isolation as the old are the biggest risk and I would hate to pass it on.

The best option is to stock up for at least 1 month (dry food is best) and go about your business and if you do get it - Netflix and all those games you wanted to play because personally I am self isolating in my study / man cave !

The govt said that worst case 80% of the population will catch it. I was reading about the Spanish Flu 100 years ago and that had similar symptoms and they put that death toll at a medium estimate of 17M worldwide. I have no idea if that is good/bad in the normal scheme of things.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:01 pm

I've had real flu once when I was 14 - it was fucking awful and I thought I was dying but I recovered. I'm (much) older now but in fairly decent knick so I'm not that worried about it killing me. I don't have kids so that's one less headache.

I'll repeat this one time - death is not the danger here. If 80% of our population catch it and we assume at peak that that might be 30% at once then everything will grind to a halt. Our entire infrastructure is based on JIT and shit might get very hairy for a period of time as large chunks of the workforce is missing.

Brace!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:48 pm

I don't think it's "just like flu but with less symptoms" either. It might be for some but depending on how badly it affects you, it could potentially lead to you requiring machine assistance just to breathe.

If cases in the UK start hitting a few thousand I might petition my boss to let me work at home for the duration of the outbreak. Until then I'm just washing my hands more and trying to touch as little as possible when I'm out and about.

We also played Pandemic last night and managed to eradicate the Chinese virus only to lose to a huge outbreak of blue scurvy in America. It's those dirty yanks we should all be really watching.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:15 pm

Best summing up of where we are with this virus. His conclusion is absolutely chilling

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:54 pm

233 people dead in Italy now, something like 36 people died in the past few days. Fuck.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:53 pm

The national health institute said the average age of those who have died was 81, with the majority suffering from underlying health problems. An estimated 72% of all those who have died were men.

According to government data, 4.25% of individuals confirmed to have the coronavirus in Italy have died, the highest rate in the world.

Me - Italians tend to live in big family units from grand parents to grand children so the fact it is hitting the elderly hard is expected

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:49 am

Northern Italy is in quarantine. 16M people :shock:

If we hit 300 deaths here - we will probably go the same way. Start the supermarket punch ups.....now

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:14 am

A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:47 am

Achtung Englander wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:49 am
Northern Italy is in quarantine. 16M people :shock:
Yeah, that's a pretty big step. I suspect most governments will be watching to see how it works out, as I dare say it'll be happening to us all eventually if it works.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:27 am

Achtung Englander wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:53 pm
Me - Italians tend to live in big family units from grand parents to grand children so the fact it is hitting the elderly hard is expected
I've been reading some theories about the differences that could have speeded up the outbreak in Italy. Someone was talking about how Italians are more into physical greetings, like cheek-kissing, every day. They are generally a much more communal, physically close people than the British I think.

Perhaps being anti-social miserable sods has slowed it down a bit over here?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:32 am

:lol:

yeah fuck off. I spoke to my friend who lives just outside Venice. The dude is so chillaxed about this he took his family on a skiing holiday these last days. He is like "nah - its alright - we needed something like to slow down the pace and reset priorities" So Italian :P

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:04 pm

Tesco and a small number of other retailers have started rationing for certain goods:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51790375

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:02 pm

Quite a few supermarkets are already selling out of toilet paper. People are bonkers.

Meanwhile I was talking to someone the other day who suggested that they might book a holiday to Italy because the flights are dirt cheap at the moment. #-o