Deathloop PC

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Pew-Pew

Re: Deathloop PC

Post by Pew-Pew » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:54 pm

People are definitely blaming that, dunno if it actually is that though. I've also seen videos of it only stuttering on mouse and not controller. Who knows? I'm going to hold off until the issues are fixed.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:42 pm

1st day back in the office today (underwhelmed), so downloading now. Will report back in due course.

30Gb install, that is very modest for these times.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:34 am

I did not manage to get much time on this last night so will update more when I have a bit more experience under my belt. I will say I had no performance issues at all, my 2080-powered rig was quite happy pushing it all along at a good frame-rate, no stuttering, nothing.

It looks very nice, there is a bit of a Dishonored feel to the visuals but they are a lot more crisp and detailed than Dunwall ever was. There is also something of a feeling of Bioshock and also NOLF, the former from all the masked baddies I think and the latter from the retro vibe. Stealth works pretty well and stealth kills are plenty brutal, snapping necks and plunging machetes - not as vicious as Ghost Recon Breakpoint but then not much is.

I have been slithering around stealth killing folks up to now (with one exception where I used a grenade on a close-packed group) so can't comment on the gunplay. Likewise I have not explored very much and have yet to get any powers. Needless to say, online invasions from other players is switched off, at least until I have played it through once.

Good initial impressions, more to follow.

EDIT: One other thing to mention, I am a great lover of games that let you tinker with the mechanics, from releasing caged animals into Far Cry's baddie camps, calling the cops to shoot-outs in GTA, getting Big Daddies aggroed by NPCs in Bioshock etc. Things that let you turn the game on the game's own denizens so to speak. Straight away I can see this plays to that, letting you rig up traps. In one large building I entered I suspected there would be several baddies. I sneaked in and hacked all the motion sensors so I would not be detected, and also hacked the automated turrets which in some cases can be moved similar to in Portal. I popped a proximity explosive on the top of a door jamb entry to the room I had holed up in and also hacked and moved two sentry guns positioning them on opposite walls just inside the room. A single pistol shot from me was the equivalent of the dinner bell being rung, and was the last thing I had to do in order to clear the building of the six or seven goons within it. From there I just watched the fun unfold :)
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:45 am

I take it you can play it without having to resort to fast-paced aiming then? I don't think my PC will handle it well until I upgrade next year and it seems like a no-brainer to buy on PS5, but I'm terrible at playing shooters on a controller. If I can sneak about and do things at a non-twitchy pace, it should be fine.

I'll probably still be playing Pathfinder by Christmas, though!

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:49 pm

I almost caved and bought it as I really do think that Arkane deserve the support, but the system requirements seem a bit much for it, I didn't expect the game to be so thirsty, and I've heard about numerous performance issues which seems to be fairly random - powerful rigs included.

I may just wait until GPUs aren't so difficult to come by as I'm not short on games. Plus, I really want ro replay Prey soon, so that should scratch my Arkane itch for a bit.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:02 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:45 am
I take it you can play it without having to resort to fast-paced aiming then?
Honestly mate I don't feel I am far enough in to be able to reliably comment. I have used stealth a lot so far because it is a playstyle I favour, but have 70 mins logged of which 20 were probably fiddling around with settings, bindings etc, then really slow exploration while I took everything in.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:36 am

Really tempted to get this, but put off by all the technical issues people are having. I love Dishonored :(

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:28 am

I know I am being the world's worst canary, I do apologise. I have had so little time to play this I haven't shared more info. I will sort that this weekend.

The challenge is that you only save the game when you transition between missions or zones and the two ~1 hour sessions I have had have not got me that far, so the second was a replay of the first. When I do get some time in I will need to zip through for a third time. Initial feedback from Snowy - it could use a save button!
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 am

does it have a story like a normal FPS narrative game?
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:29 am

Yes, very much so I think. You start out literally waking up on a beach with no exposition whatsoever. As you start to find things out, it creates a series of clues for you to follow. In addition there are the usual audio recordings and documents that help you piece it all together - I believe that the story you are unpicking is 1 how come you wake up on the beach; 2 why is the one person who speaks to you directly (through some kind of audio kit you are carrying, a headset I am guessing) wants to kill you; and 3 why you want to break the permanent loop that is taking place on the island - something everyone else on it wants to avoid, and why you are willing to kill everyone to achieve it.

Still early days although I got past the first save point yesterday, which was good. I am hopefully into the game proper now. More canary twittering to follow.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:53 am

It's an Arkane game, probably has more world building and lore in it than most real counties.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:43 am

This finally started to click for me yesterday. I have been dipping into it (unfortunately with a fair bit of repetition with the save system) and I was not sure I wasn't going to bounce off it. I liked the premise, the gameplay is good fun, movement feels very fluid indeed with mantling and general running and climbing totally intuitive, but the hooks were not going in. One of the big problems was that I had decided I did not want HUD markers for my quest objectives, however as you are an amnesiac blindly finding your way, there is very little information provided as to what you are actually meant to be doing. This was leading to me exploring the game but not really understanding what I was doing or where to go at any point.

Switching on the quest markers has helped a lot. It has enabled me to move out into the maps, complete objectives, come back, save and upgrade my gear etc. I may disable it again at some point but for now it is a great help.

I have also completed my first 'day' now, having done morning, afternoon, evening and night and waking back up on the beach at the start. I have not yet managed to understand the whole residuum mechanic that will allow me to keep items (I think I know what I need to do though), so on waking up I am once again empty handed, but know where some decent weapons are close to the start of the game.

I also managed to kill one of the eight targets last night - I knew I had completed my mission objective and could go back to the tunnels to save, but also knew that the guy with the 'Karnesis' slab (a power letting you throw people around telekinesis-style) was in the map with me. I found four remote sentry guns and set them up to make the entrance to the house he was inside absolutely lethal. As I proceeded to explore, a message popped up that he was dead, and sure enough my sentries had taken him down. I quickly found him and nabbed his slab, meaning I now have three - double jump that I had from the start, blink (like Dishonoured, teleport a short distance) that I got from killing the female character who is after you, and now Karnesis. I quit immediately on waking up on the beach, so hope I still have the slabs I have collected up to now.

As I understand more about the game, so I have new things that I want to do start to open up. The hooks are finally sinking in!
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 am

Snowy wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:43 am
This finally started to click for me yesterday. I have been dipping into it (unfortunately with a fair bit of repetition with the save system) and I was not sure I wasn't going to bounce off it. I liked the premise, the gameplay is good fun, movement feels very fluid indeed with mantling and general running and climbing totally intuitive, but the hooks were not going in.
That's very much my experience with Dishonored. I can't really fault them, but I never have that drive to go back to them. I was enjoying Dishonored 2 and then halfway through just stopped and never went back, and I didn't miss it. I made myself finish Dishonored 1 to see what all the fuss was about, and while it was good and I see its brilliance, I have no strong feelings for it. On that basis, I'm not sure I want to pay £60 to repeat that experience with Deathloop.

It's odd because I love the classics in the genre (namely Thief, Deus Ex and System Shock).

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:15 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 am
Snowy wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:43 am
This finally started to click for me yesterday. I have been dipping into it (unfortunately with a fair bit of repetition with the save system) and I was not sure I wasn't going to bounce off it. I liked the premise, the gameplay is good fun, movement feels very fluid indeed with mantling and general running and climbing totally intuitive, but the hooks were not going in.
That's very much my experience with Dishonored. I can't really fault them, but I never have that drive to go back to them. I was enjoying Dishonored 2 and then halfway through just stopped and never went back, and I didn't miss it. I made myself finish Dishonored 1 to see what all the fuss was about, and while it was good and I see its brilliance, I have no strong feelings for it. On that basis, I'm not sure I want to pay £60 to repeat that experience with Deathloop.

It's odd because I love the classics in the genre (namely Thief, Deus Ex and System Shock).
That was exactly my experience with Dishonoured 1 and 2 as well, they were perfectly good games but I ended up walking away from both. I was actually replaying Dishonoured 1 at the point this one came out as I have all the DLC etc - I was enjoying it but the stealth never felt well enough implemented to make it viable, so I was just hacking down the guards for the most part. I have wondered if I am not just bored of FPS titles that are not open world tactical shooters.

As of last night I am now keen to get back to the game, which is good. Will see if it continues and continue my canary chirping.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:30 am

Yeah I was the exact same with Dishonored 1 & 2, got to about the midway point and put them down. I eventually went back and finished both and would now class them as among my favourite games. The sheer amount of stuff you can do and explore can be a bit overwhelming. Hope I get a go at Deathloop at some point. Any sign it will go to Game Pass after a year or so?

Ah, probably available after 14/09/22..
The small print at the bottom.