Deep Rock Galactic

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Snowy
Local

Deep Rock Galactic

Post by Snowy » Wed May 20, 2020 7:21 am

Picked this up the other day as it wandered out of early access. I had been largely ignorant of it as a title other than as something I saw Lee playing almost every time I logged into Steam (and suspect he can talk a whole lot more about it than I can given he also streams it on Twitch).

What a bloody great little game! Left 4 Dead meets Minecraft meets Starship Troopers. You are one of a team of 4 dwarves sent deep underground on one of a number of planets to mine stuff and get out. As you do so, you will be attacked by waves of beastie-bugs. There are 4 distinct roles: Gunners bring the pain, can create ziplines to traverse the enormous cave networks and also pop down shields; Engineers pack a shotty and grenade launcher, can put down Aliens style turrets and also create ledges to allow access to otherwise difficult to access places; Drillers pack a flamethrower and sport a pair of meaty drills on each arm, allowing them to burrow at speed through the rock; and finally Scouts have an SMG and a sawn-off as well as a grappling gun that allows them to reach those engineer ledges and other hard to reach nooks.

Finish the mission goals and you call in your drilly-thing to extract you, giving you 5 mins to work your way back to it or get left behind - while being attached by the beasties pretty constantly.

Really fun co-op game with bags of character, only sorry I didn't spot it sooner. Well worth your investment, great fun game.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Re: Deep Rock Galactic

Post by Animalmother » Wed May 20, 2020 12:43 pm

You singleplayering it or online?

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed May 20, 2020 1:07 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:43 pm
You singleplayering it or online?
Did a little SP but it was designed to be played online. Not had any comms or anything and not really needed it.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:42 am

This is pretty fun, I got lost on my way back to the pod and had to drill almost the entire way there only just making it which was probably much less epic than it was in my head. I'm just not really sure it'll have that much longevity for me. Feels like it could get a bit repetitive quickly once the novelty wears off. Coming up on 2 hours and I feel my eyes wandering to the big red refund button because I'm a bad person :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri May 22, 2020 9:10 am

Playing solo or co-op? A lot more fun in co-op.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri May 22, 2020 2:37 pm

Both. With randoms right enough. It’s neat I just don’t think it’s for me.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun May 24, 2020 4:30 pm

I did try to make more comprehensive post about the fun and stuff in the game but I really suck at it so here's just a condensed shorten one instead :lol:

Aye I have been playing it since it was first out in EA and watched it grow with more added features over time that makes a right mockery over all the AAA crap that passes today.
Close to 700 hours and never get bored playing it as it's just that random as hell with the games.

Cosmetics item unlocked from purely playing it (There is some you can buy and the prices are for once appropriate), secondary weapons for each classes that alters your play style greatly. Then the weapon overclocks that have different effects on the weapons to be found. Really is a lot of content that you progress through pretty easily without having to do some stupid "Do this X times to get" grind.

Lots of tricks you can learn or be shown as the community is one of the nicest out there. A Few dick heads from time to time but nothing compared to other online games ratios. You don't need voice comms for teamwork as people generally understand from the dwarves call outs what is happening. Be it a Detonator, Oppressor or just Nitra or other minerals needed and the classes will help the others get to them.

And one heck of a soundtrack to boot.

Even if you fail the mission you can had one hell of a exhilarating time before that. That you don't care about the loss and laugh it off before going in again :D
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Lee

Post by Lee » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:57 am

New Update 32 is out with 2 new mission types and some fun DLC cosmetic stuff as well. Can't wait till later to stream and play :D

Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.