Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Remaster games that warrant it!

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:54 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:55 am
Hidden & Dangerous 2

Why this has never got a part 3 or a remaster is beyond me. A more realistic and tactical Ghost Recon set in WW2 is a no brainer to me. It had huge sprawling missions with scores of enemies, stealth, vehicles, customisable uniforms and an rpg element. Remade as an open world game set in occupied Europe with different environments and missions would be amazeballs.
There are few games I would want more than H&D 3.

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:13 pm

Freedom fighters!

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:38 pm

X-Com just a proper remake being exactly the same with higher detailed sprites and not a dumb down mess.

Supreme Commander.

Freedom Fighers would be great, don't know why that didn't get a sequel :(

Dark Reign.

Incubation.

Crusader No Remorse.

Tom Clancy Rainbow Six again not the watered down versions.

Ghost recon first 2.

Heavy Gear series.

Giants Citizen Kabuto.

Heck the list would go on and on if I put more thought into it. But in all honesty they won't be touched due to license blackholes oh who own what. And whatever fucktards they use that says what if we slip in some MTX shite somewhere.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:03 pm

Lee wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:38 pm
X-Com just a proper remake being exactly the same with higher detailed sprites and not a dumb down mess.

Supreme Commander.

Freedom Fighers would be great, don't know why that didn't get a sequel :(

Dark Reign.

Incubation.

Crusader No Remorse.

Tom Clancy Rainbow Six again not the watered down versions.

Ghost recon first 2.

Heavy Gear series.

Giants Citizen Kabuto.

Heck the list would go on and on if I put more thought into it. But in all honesty they won't be touched due to license blackholes oh who own what. And whatever fucktards they use that says what if we slip in some MTX shite somewhere.
Yes yes fucking yes to all this. Someone needs to put TGA in charge of PC game development!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:44 pm

Just find that since we are mostly all older and seen you know true advancements in all the genres from the early 90's (Not just graphics) to suddenly stop for near enough a decade or 2 (barring the odd handful of games) that current gaming is just so shallow and all about consume the next one in line and discard.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:26 pm

That’s just rose glasses. There was plennnnnnnty of shallow stuff back then too and there’s plenty of super deep stuff out there today.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:46 pm

I often find when I go back to a number of really old school titles that they haven't aged well at all and my young mind at the time thought they were complex when in reality they were super simple in comparison to titles made today. There's plenty of examples of it working both ways round.

I'm surprised anyone is even all that eager for more remasters. I'm generally a bit sick of them, even if I were given a choice of my favourite titles to bring back with a fresh coat of paint I think I'd rather just have something new and interesting.

That said, Micro Maniacs and Speed Freaks on PS1 definitely deserve modernisation.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:00 pm

On that note is there any recent games that may not have been great but had some potential that should get another go?

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 am

I would love it if was rose tainted glasses but you can see that in the past we had progress in games of the many genres, great IP's that too was updated over the years but now look at them now. They've been either ignored or stuck in the same gaming loop for a very long time or bastardised into horrible things (Thief 4, Dungeon Keeper etc). Which is for me is just a shallow experience of just consuming it till next one. It could be a good game but if it's not trying to innovate after several games then why bother picking them up?

I never said anything that all games in the past were always awesome either. But there was enough innovation from even the Publishers back then. Where is it now? It's about playing safe and doing practically the same game in a new lick of paint. And I did say there has been a handful of games that did very well but not enough of them. Stalker series, Escape from Tarkov, Deep Rock Galactic, Divinity series and Elite to name a few over the years.

Check out the BF/Battlefront series they launch bare bones and take around 1-2 years to actually become something good enough to buy (not including the recent one as that's been a colossal fuckup) Then jump and do the same. It's been that way since 3rd one. Farcry series at the moment is a just lick of paint over it. Assassin Creed has went from Assassin to straight up combat which baffles me.

I've went to indies that don't have the budget or man power but are progressing genres in new fun ways but alas they don't have the settings or IP I would love to see them being able to use. I've seen demo works from people using established IPs and wondered why the fuck we can't get that.

This is my own view point on the current state of gaming and why I am far more interested in getting Remasters over anything from the Publishers barring Devolver who have some interesting games at least.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:50 am

I agree that at the top end innovation is lacking but in the indy space there is a ton, it just doesn't get the attention it deserves. I think ignoring an indy game because it doesn't use an IP you like is doing the game a disservice, as gamers we need to be willing to try new stuff otherwise all you are going to get is the same cookie cutter stuff from the big publishers.

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:58 am

Oh I am not ignoring those titles I am buying and still enjoying them but I could have worded that better. I meant if you could also use the IP or settings, would be adding the cherry on top.

My buying history over the last maybe 5 years is mostly Indie titles as they are the ones making stuff that really interests me. Some studios I will jump straight into a purchase when I can like Larian/Cyberpunk and Frontier but that list hasn't exactly grown for a heck of a long time.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:11 pm

Here's an idea; what about the Wing Commander games? The FMVs of the latter games are much better looking than those from C&C so they shouldn't need much work, and as a space sim the actual gameplay engine wouldn't need anywhere near as much attention as some genres.

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Toss in Freespace and Independence War series as both games had hardly that much rendered cutscenes. Mostly just a talking head on a panel and everything else played out using in game assets :)

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:01 pm

Lee wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:58 am
Oh I am not ignoring those titles I am buying and still enjoying them but I could have worded that better. I meant if you could also use the IP or settings, would be adding the cherry on top.
OK, I get you.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:14 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:46 pm
I'm surprised anyone is even all that eager for more remasters. I'm generally a bit sick of them, even if I were given a choice of my favourite titles to bring back with a fresh coat of paint I think I'd rather just have something new and interesting.
What I was driving at was more why we are seeing so many remasters of games which weren't exactly shining lights first time around - if re-making old games is going to be a thing, at least make it the very best of the best.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=