You have quite the treasure there in that Horadric Cube!

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Alan

Re: You have quite the treasure there in that Horadric Cube!

Post by Alan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:12 am

35quid isnt too bad either. Now all they need to do is remove Lut Gholein and it'll be perfect ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:14 pm

Alan wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:12 am
35quid isnt too bad either. Now all they need to do is remove Lut Gholein and it'll be perfect ;)
Not sure I agree there I'd be happier with £20-£25.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:23 pm

I mean I would be happier with 20 but it's Bliz, I was expecting 45-50.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:49 am

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:26 am

I just started found this out recently, actually extremely excited about Diablo 2. wish they would of made it a combo and just done a remake of Diablo 1/2 together. I really enjoy the first one.

My buddy was a huge fan of Diablo 2 and played it up till when he died. Tried to get his account before it would get deleted but couldnt remember his password so its been lost to the nether.

gonna really enjoy playing it agian

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:58 pm

This is out on the 23rd of September.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:04 pm

I'm really loathe to give Acti-Blizz money at all anymore after so many of their utterly awful actions over the last few years.

But there's no way that I'm not buying this.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:07 pm

I have never really got the Diablo bug. I did enjoy 2 but for me it wasn't the life-changer it was for others. I do enjoy some ARPGs too, Grim Dawn I enjoyed quite a bit. I think it is the endgame, it is just too close to MMO grind and massively turns me off.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:11 pm

I never saw Diablo II as life changing, but I did enjoy it, and I suspect I'll be there on day one. I played Diablo 3 far more.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:13 pm

It was one of those titles that just came at the perfect time for me. I was young, pretty new to PC gaming, didn't have access to many games and totally engrossed with the vibe of it. I sunk hundreds of hours into the original. 3 never came close to replicating it even after the expansion fixed a lot of the initial issues it had.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Early access beta this week for those who pre-purchased, all of Act 1 and Act 2 available with 5 out of the 7 classes.

I'd totally forgotten that I preordered it months ago and was surprised to get the email inviting me to install it. I'm not sure I would have felt comfortable buying it now in light of recent news from Blizzard, but the money was spent a while ago and I'm locked in now!

This is the best ARPG ever, fantastic vibe, characters, plot and music. Tons of build diversity with each character. And the new textures and animations are an absolute joy to behold, it plays exactly the same underneath though so the classic D2 feel is still there.

Vicarious Visions have done a fantastic job here.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:07 pm

I unlocked access by 'watching' 2 1/2 hours of twitch this morning (basically it was on, lowest res possible 160p, tab muted).
So I'll be trying this out probably on Monday.
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:42 am

Yeah, it's pretty good isn't it. It looks great and it feels identical to the original, and of course you can just hit the G key and actually be playing that original.

I do find it irritating that they've taken out the ultrawide support though. It was present in the alpha, and some players complained that it gave people with such a monitor an advantage on loot gathering and enemy detection. Well no shit, but for goodness sakes it's 2021 and these things have been around for a decade now, surely they can make this a toggle-able setting at this point (like the game could add the bars at the sides when in a party that wants it) - the game engine clearly supports it. At least they've added a gentle fade to black into those bars at the sides rather than the rendering just stopping.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:23 am

Raid wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:42 am
Yeah, it's pretty good isn't it. It looks great and it feels identical to the original, and of course you can just hit the G key and actually be playing that original.

I do find it irritating that they've taken out the ultrawide support though. It was present in the alpha, and some players complained that it gave people with such a monitor an advantage on loot gathering and enemy detection. Well no shit, but for goodness sakes it's 2021 and these things have been around for a decade now, surely they can make this a toggle-able setting at this point (like the game could add the bars at the sides when in a party that wants it) - the game engine clearly supports it. At least they've added a gentle fade to black into those bars at the sides rather than the rendering just stopping.
It's a total missed opportunity for me, they should have made QoL changes like allowing you to stack portal and identifying scrolls from the start, increase the size of the inventory, added hotkeys to skills, stuff like that. Just releasing the same game but with better looking graphics doesn't really appeal to me. Playing the game made me realise how old and slow it feels compared to modern ARPGs.

Ultimately though it doesn't really matter as I wont be buying a Blizzard game until they sort out their sexual harassment stuff.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:59 pm

I have to admit I'm feeling more than a little guilty having given Blizzard money, but like Mantis I'd bought the game prior to this latest scandal coming out.

I kinda agree on some of the QoL changes they could have made.
-I've always hated the stamina system, it feels like it's there just to slow you down, it doesn't add anything whatsoever to the gameplay (I'm not aware of there being any abilities that make use of it, though admitedly I only ever play casters so maybe it's a melee thing?). They could have simply removed it altogether and the game would have been better for it.
-Inventory management too is a hassle, and it's really obvious here considering how little bag space you have; just having the ability to rotate items would have been a plus, or maybe forcing single-square items to fill a single row when they go into your inventory rather than being placed into the most-top-left space available.
-Mana regen is painfully slow at the beginning of the game, either forcing you into quaffing potions like nobody's business (and then needing to inventory manage all of these) or using weapons that don't really fit the class. My Sorceress has to rely on a crossbow, which doesn't exactly fit the fantasy. Diablo III gave each class a set of skills that did little damage but restored your main resource, which is just much better game design.

But then the argument could be made that it wouldn't quite be Diablo II if they did stuff like that. Graphics and sound effects are one thing, but whether good or bad these little niggles are part of the gameplay. I'm not going to go as far as saying II is a better game than III, I think there are so many improvements in III that the slightly weaker theming and atmosphere can be overlooked when the gameplay is simply better. Still, I meant to play maybe the first couple of quests in this beta, but then I completely lost a couple of hours and have now finished a lot of Act 1, so it's clearly still a very compelling experience.

Mantis; do you fancy meeting up for a little co-op action this week?