Days Gone coming to PC Spring 2021

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:11 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Days Gone coming to PC Spring 2021

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:55 pm

The one PS4 title everyone was clamouring for. Sony has clearly done this knowing it wont sell well so they can knock the whole experiment on the head and never bring Bloodborne to PC.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 pm

Days Gone was a bit of a sleeper hit. It didn't sell well but for those who bought in it was actually really well received.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:10 am

Mantis wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 pm
Days Gone was a bit of a sleeper hit. It didn't sell well but for those who bought in it was actually really well received.
I'm not sure I would call it a sleeper hit, I'd say more Stockholm syndrome. Β¬_Β¬ I've seen people defend it online but everyone I know who has actually played it says it is a boring by the numbers open world game.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:34 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:10 pm

Sony has already binned the game and wouldn't let the developer make a sequel. I believe it got much better after a few updates.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:10 pm

Open world with co-op? Kinda ticks my boxes if done well.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:14 pm

It has actually been one of their top sellers lately, it just took a while to pick up pace and wasn't an instant overnight success on release.

Shame really as it looks like the team are being forced into spinoffs of other Sony IP and I'm sure they could have had a decent stab innovating on a sequel.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon May 17, 2021 3:16 pm

PC Gamer gave it 63%, seems Sony have done a better job on the port than they did with Horizon.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:58 am

Well I picked this up and have put 13 hours in so far and I have to say I like it. One of the things I like the most is that it is well acted, plus the characters are not necessarily what you think they are when you first meet them. One character I really took to in an early cutscene has turned out to be a really abhorrent POS. I like getting about on my drifter motorcycle, the guns and melee have heft, and the storyline is quite engaging. Oh, and the hordes are fucking terrifying. Came across one yesterday and seeing what looked to be hundreds of zombies pouring through the trees after me was both stunning and a real "Oh shit!" moment!

It is single player only, which is a shame as I was sure I read it could be played as 2 player co-op, but that hasn't really spoilt it.

Gripes? Stealth is pretty rudimentary with both zombies and NPCs having the ocular ability of a particularly myopic mole, but that makes the irritating 'don't get spotted' stealth missions simpler.

The main thing about it is that it hasn't given me the heeby jeebies though. When I bought it and realised it was SP my immediate thought was that my being a colossal pussy with scary games would relegate it to the 'put aside' pile (along with dead space, alien isolation etc) - thankfully not the case, and am really enjoying myself.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Just finished the main story - there's still a few icons on the map and a whole bunch of hordes still to fight, but after 65-odd hours I think I'll put it away for now.

Overall, really enjoyed that. I'd put it in the top tier of "7/10 games", alongside something like Mad Max. Very well made, good fun to play, albeit nothing that will likely blow your socks off.

Snowy summed it up well above, if it has a fault it's that the gameplay doesn't change hugely throughout - more special enemies are introduced, you get more powerful weapons, but essentially you're still riding out to clear locations, take down bases etc. It remains enjoyable to do so, though.

The acting remains excellent throughout, even if Deacon himself can tend towards being whiny/petulant, and simply riding around the world taking in the post-apocalyptic sights is a joy.

And the hordes... if there's one thing that truly sets the game apart in the genre, it's these. I didn't even know they were a thing, until during one fairly early mission I was creeping around a trainyard, headshotting bandits from stealth, when a tide of zombies suddenly erupts from the train carriage and killed me in seconds flat :lol:

It was quite fun in the endgame to go from running from your life from hordes (which can reach up to 500 enemies in size), to taking them on single handed. And it was always stressful, requiring a combination of planning (laying traps etc, finding a safe spot to launch grenades and bombs from) and lightning-reaction-oh-shit-it's-all-gone-wrong-FUCKING-LEG-IT!! on the hoof thinking. My go-to weapon for taking out the bulk of hordes was a device that attracted them by sound and then detonated after a few seconds. However, for the larger groups, the 6 you could craft at one time would only get up to half of the job done, the rest being running in terror while lobbing grenades and molotovs behind to try to take them out on the fly.

Well worth checking out if you're in the mood for a well-crafted, open world, single-player title.

It's a crying shame they've refused to make a sequel, though.