Loop Hero

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Loop Hero

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:37 am

eny wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:35 pm
After never having played any game remotely like this, I've taken the plunge thanks to this thread! Just waiting for the purchase to parse, seems to be delayed for some reason.
Are you enjoying it mate?

This has stolen my life for the past week or so :lol:

I can't wait for you guys to unlock forests, rivers and deserts as they make for some absolutely bonkers runs. :)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:10 am

I had a bash at a desert build using the necromancer so that my magic hp nullified the huge reduction that was applied to everyone. It didn't work so well. Every run I've had with the necromancer so far seems to turn into a frantic struggle to get the right gear, moreso than any other class. I'm not sure I really find it as fun to play in general.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:21 am

Mantis wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:10 am
I had a bash at a desert build using the necromancer so that my magic hp nullified the huge reduction that was applied to everyone. It didn't work so well. Every run I've had with the necromancer so far seems to turn into a frantic struggle to get the right gear, moreso than any other class. I'm not sure I really find it as fun to play in general.
Have you unlocked forests yet? After the first chapter I find for a decent necro run you need monster attack speed and as many +1 skelly items as you can find.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:02 pm

I was quite pleased with this setup for my last Chapter 3 farming run, again only stopped because I'd maxed out nearly every resource but had reached the point of basically becoming unkillable.

The rivers double the effect of nearby tiles, so on the right combined with the thickets in that pattern it gave me a base attack speed of around 250% (boosted further by gear), while where they touch desert tiles they reduce enemy attack speed by 1% and yours by 0.5% (you can more than offset this with the forests/rivers combo as above).

Together with all the desert tiles, I'd nerfed enemies by -75% health and -45% attack speed, and combined with concentrating on the damage to all stat on gear I was killing mobs of 4-5 enemies in 1-2 hits (and only as many as 2 because of one enemy type giving them a magic shield at the start of combat).

Good fun, that.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:17 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:37 am
eny wrote:
After never having played any game remotely like this, I've taken the plunge thanks to this thread! Just waiting for the purchase to parse, seems to be delayed for some reason.

I can't wait for you guys to unlock forests, rivers and deserts as they make for some absolutely bonkers runs. :)

Sly, what an utterly sublime little game! lost 8 hours last night and didn't notice, had a couple of early annoyances that didn't last long - I didn't realise you lost your current expedition if you went to the fire, so my lovely first run evaporated, but I soon got over it. The interactions between some of the cards you lay, and the result of laying multiples is really clever, there is so much depth in an easily learnable structure, that looks like it will continue to unfold for a while yet, looking at your progress.

I did have one go at the first boss, but way too early so he demolished me, even after wiping his palaces, so I am currently focusing on resource farming and building up the base. Fantastic value for money, great game - totally unlike anything I would normally play.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:24 pm

eny wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:17 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:37 am
eny wrote:

Sly, what an utterly sublime little game! lost 8 hours last night and didn't notice, had a couple of early annoyances that didn't last long - I didn't realise you lost your current expedition if you went to the fire, so my lovely first run evaporated, but I soon got over it. The interactions between some of the cards you lay, and the result of laying multiples is really clever, there is so much depth in an easily learnable structure, that looks like it will continue to unfold for a while yet, looking at your progress.

I did have one go at the first boss, but way too early so he demolished me, even after wiping his palaces, so I am currently focusing on resource farming and building up the base. Fantastic value for money, great game - totally unlike anything I would normally play.
I know, it's come out of nowhere to become my game of the year so far (in a fairly thin field admittedly :lol:). Glad you're enjoying it :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:39 pm

Has anyone used a counter build successfully yet? I've tried a couple of times just to see if I could, but I end up just getting kerb-stomped after half a dozen loops, feels very weak compared to evasion or attack speed.

I feel like if you get to a very high counter %, like 75% or so it would be quite powerful, but the trick is getting there. I guess you could level using an evasion build then pivot to counter at a suitably high loop #. Might give that a whirl.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:07 pm

Evasion and counter work fairly well together on warrior if you focus them and also pick up the trait that gives you a percent chance to counter attack when you evade an attack. Counter on its own seems a bit underwhelming.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:46 pm

Tried playing warrior in chapter 3 with the aim of getting past the boss and then trying a decent counter build, ineffectually flailed my way to the fight and was promptly killed in under a minute :lol:

I really prefer to rogue to anything else, I think.

Oh, and more classes and cards inbound! :o

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/loop-hero-se ... d-classes/

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:13 pm

Whew, beat the final boss as rogue for the first time on my second campaign. I changed tack slightly this time, and first of all focused on reducing enemy attack speed. It seems to cap at -50%, but did mean the final boss was only attacking every four seconds, and combined with my 60% evasion it worked really well. In the end I only used one potion, and my allied rat-wolf and two guardsman were all still alive as well.

That might be me more or less done now, at least until the new classes and cards are added, but that's fine. Over 70 hours of entertainment for a tenner is great value :)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:05 pm

I didn't think the guardsmen took part in the boss fights?

I'm making headway in Act 2 now, but decided to go back to the first act for a supply run. Trounced the lich in about 5 seconds with my rogue and then proceeded to fill out the whole map. If only there weren't carry limits for loot I could have gone way past loop 30.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:02 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:05 pm
I didn't think the guardsmen took part in the boss fights?
The crossbowmen from the watchtowers you build in your camp don't fight the boss, no, but the guardsman from the outpost tiles you can lay do - they've become my go-to move for the latter bosses even if for nothing more than to act as additional targets to take the focus off me for a few attacks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:04 pm

And, wow, just saw you using a bunch of swamp cards playing as a rogue... bold decision!

Not sure if you'd realised, but the swamps make any non-potion healing actively hurt you for the equivalent hp, which includes the rogue's built-in 5% vampirism.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:23 pm

I know, but for probably more than 90% of fights I was killing things so quickly that I didn't even lose my magic shield, so the vampirism wasn't even activating. I only really started losing health frequently in fights when I started trying to max out the map around loop 25 and just started throwing down enemies all over the place.

I was playing cards that really maxed out the number of enemies I could fight at once and the moquitos are nice and squishy. The swamps are a handy counter for fielding lots of vampire mansions too as they chip away at their own health with every attack.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:10 pm

Rivers must be the single most powerful card in the game. Just beat chapter 4 as necro, nothing very special about the run except I was careful about my placement of rivers, thickets and dunes, so that by the time the final boss rolled around he had 40% less health and -38% attack speed (to my +300%). It was a pretty long fight as it took the skeletons ages to whittle down his health, even reduced as it was, but he in turn barely laid a glove on me. I didn't use a single one of my 3 resurrections in the chapter as a whole, which is somewhat amazing and I'm still not quite sure how I did it, seeing as the last time I tried a necro in the last chapter I got face-stomped.