Battlefield 6

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Animalmother
Local

Re: Battlefield 6

Post by Animalmother » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:29 pm

While I'd played all the previous games to it, Bad Company 2 is where it really gelled with me, loved it. I think BF1 is the most polished and atmospheric game so far and the epic Frontlines mode was amazing when it everyone was giving it their all. Plus that soundtrack.

I've noticed a lot of the YouTubers who were touting the beta like it was the God's gift to humanity are now pointing out it's many many flaws.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:03 am

It's not battle royale exactly but it's not not battle royale either... It's been touted as being similar to Escape from Tarkov and Hunt Showdown with AI enemies as well as real players. I can see most people playing this and Portal with the standard MP just being a handful of players and a 100 or so bots bumping into walls.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:34 am

I agree, think there is a risk of spreading yourself too thin. Hopefully they've learnt their lessons from Firestorm, which I never played because it never worked (as far as I know, the servers never connected for me).

I think it will go Portal, 2042, Hazard in terms of popularity.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:10 pm

The trailers for them literally tell us nothing about how each mode will play out, utterly useless. They're just CGI rubbish.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:04 pm

The fact that I've not even bothered to watch this trailer really demonstrates how much the beta put me off this game. It completely destroyed my interest in it for the time being. I reckon I might look into it again when it actually comes out to see how dodgy it is, but I suspect it still will be and I won't be buying it for a while.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:28 am

Every new bit of info they release on this game just makes it look worse. Wall hacking as an ability, homing grenades, ugly character models and bland as fuck levels. My beloved BF what are they doing to you? :cry:

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:14 pm

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:45 pm

Yip, pretty much :(

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:09 am

So I tried BFV again on series X, still think it feels like shit. Then I downloaded hardline and that feels great! I think theyve done something to the controller feel post 360 that makes it just not feel good on console anymore.

Also, still folk playing Hardline! This pleases me ;) Though it still runs at 720p and holy shit that looks bad! How did we ever manage to play anything back then? :lol:
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:59 pm

It's out on early access on Friday. Like a dipshit I pre-ordered the game in the early days of the hype before it was revealed what a possible turd the game was going to be. Since they haven't billed me for the game yet I can't cancel the preorder, there's literally nothing to cancel. The cunts.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:15 am

What is with the extremely low bitrate intro movie. The digital noise in all the space scenes is like 2001 real player.

Also “we call ourselves no pants”.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:52 pm

Alan wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:15 am
What is with the extremely low bitrate intro movie. The digital noise in all the space scenes is like 2001 real player.

Also “we call ourselves no pants”.
I thought that was just my TV acting up, good to know.

Cancelled the preorder and downloaded the 10 hour preview from Game Pass. Only tried Portal for an hour or so and it was good fun if a little janky. Movement feels a bit off, I initially thought the game was lagging but I was just getting caught on bits of scenery and running on the spot. Sound is broken which for a BF game is a travesty, you can hear enemies shouting right beside you but they could be a few hundred metres away. Gun play is also very sketchy, I found it very difficult to actually hit enemies unless they were right on top of me, anything at medium range was a waste of time. Same problem was in the beta. The attachment system is stupidity awkward and frustrating to use. And there's no fucking scoreboard, in an adversarial online shooter!! Are they afraid of hurting players feeling!?!

But once you overcome the stumbling blocks constantly tossed in front of you its great to play the BF3 and Bad Company maps again with better graphics. The game needs several more months before it's worth playing I think. Going to try and hold off buying it until then.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:05 pm

I really like the no scoreboard. Scoreboards are mostly trash that doesnt really give a good overview of what people have done. Highlighting heals/revives etc. is a much nicer way of doing things. For the game, I'm liking it more than I did V or 0. I think it feels better on foot but the lighter vehicles feel like crap and they look really bad and floaty in the third person view. I probably wont buy it though, I dont have a massive amount of time for competitive shooters and if its between this and Siege this will lose every time and just collect dust. I'll just potter away at the trial and go back now and again when it hits EAPlay.

Oh also, fuck progression systems. When people are cramming into portal to make XP farming servers maybe, just maybe its because unlock systems are bags of shit that should have died with the 360. If your game isnt good enough to keep a player base on its own merits then do cosmetic unlocks or something but having to grind away just to set your class up the way you want is BS.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:47 pm

I do wish the scoreboard reflected how people are actually contributing to the team but that never seems to happen in these type of games. The scoreboard in BFV gave you info on your ping, the server location, who was in a vehicle and what class everyone was, really useful stuff to know.

I also don't mind progression, gives you something to work towards. I find if you get everything immediately you tend to experiment less with weapons and load outs and the game very quickly becomes stale.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:05 pm

Progression locked class items have been part of the Battlefield series since 2 as far as I can recall, even before we entered the cynical age of micro transactions and paying for quicker progress.

I think there's something to be said for hiding player scores in multiplayer games, particularly in something like Battlefield where your score seldom reflects how much you've actually contributed to your team winning a round.