Company of Heroes 3 [PC] - Out Now

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:54 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Animalmother
Local

Re: General Gaming News

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:36 pm

Just thought I'd stick the announcement and gameplay trailers for Company of Heroes 3

Mantis
Landlord

Re: Company of Heroes 3 [PC] - Out 2022 - Pre-Alpha Demo Now

Post by Mantis » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:07 pm

It tentatively sounds great. But the interview with Eurogamer has me worried as they essentially refused to accept that Dawn of War 3 was a bad game and basically blamed their fans that they didn't understand what it was trying to be before they bought it and all got disappointed.

They're also splitting dev time between this and Age of Empires 4, so I hope neither game suffers as a result as both franchises are very nostalgic for me.

On the plus side, they do seem to accept that the micro transactions that completely littered CoH2 ruined the feel and balance of it somewhat.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:51 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:53 pm

I kinda liked the COH series, right up until Men of War came out. That gave me a WW2 sandbox that I just loved, and made COH just feel restrictive with its squads of men and no insta-kill headshots, or managing to sneakily repair an enemy tank way behind their lines and raise hell in it. Etcetera :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:31 pm

So I've been playing this a little and it's really good. Basically feels exactly how the first two games did, only this time there's no horrific UI that pushes micro transactions for skins at you all the time. There is a doctrines menu where you can select three per faction to take into a skirmish with you and currently each team only has three available so you can't actually customize it, so I imagine that's where they'll add some DLC in future.

Haven't tried the campaign yet but the skirmishes are good fun. There's a very limited number of maps on launch though which is quite disappointing and a lot of them are pretty generic with few interesting strategic options other than swarm every direction. Hopefully they'll port some of the good ones from the previous games over where you can blow up bridges to control the flow of the map as currently everything is just open terrain on them all. There's literally only about 12 maps total and that's split between 1v1 up to 4v4.

I'm not sure they will ever be able to top the original game as that remains an RTS classic, but it's a solid instalment into the series and refreshing to have a new game in the genre available, fans of the previous two will definitely enjoy it. Some good variety of nationalities within each faction too which makes it nice and diverse.

It's been review bombed on Steam for some reason. I encountered the odd AI bug on the first day but I haven't noticed anything particularly outrageous that has spoiled the game at all.