Back 4 Blood

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Pew-Pew

Re: Back 4 Blood

Post by Pew-Pew » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:58 pm

Thanks guys, that's useful. It sounds like something I'd probably pick up for £20-£30 instead of full price, assuming I had people to play with.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:59 pm

It's also on GamePass fwiw.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:02 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:53 am
I haven't seen any micro-transactions yet which is very surprising, have I just missed them or have they seen the light and kept them out?
There are no microtransactions in the game at the moment, Turtle Rock have said that if they did add them they would be cosmetic only.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:28 pm

Agreed on the special enemies; I couldn't tell you what any of them actually look like, as there just isn't much personality in their designs. They also go down without much fuss, at least in the lowest difficulty, and I kinda get the feeling that they'll be much more interesting at higher settings. The only one that seems to make a real impact is the exploding one, and it's the one that I always, always focus on if I notice it approaching.

I would definitely like to try the harder difficulties once we've finished the main campaign once.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:44 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:02 pm
Animalmother wrote:
I haven't seen any micro-transactions yet which is very surprising, have I just missed them or have they seen the light and kept them out?
There are no microtransactions in the game at the moment, Turtle Rock have said that if they did add them they would be cosmetic only.
Did they backtrack on their original comments then? Because I'm sure I read in the pre-release material for this game that there'd be DLC for extra campaign acts, but that only one person in a party would need to buy it for the entire group to play so that friends could still have a session without everyone needing to splash out on it.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:08 pm

What was that monster hunting game Turtle Rock destroyed with micro-transactions? Maybe they've learnt a lesson.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:12 pm

Mantis wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:44 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:02 pm
Animalmother wrote:
Did they backtrack on their original comments then? Because I'm sure I read in the pre-release material for this game that there'd be DLC for extra campaign acts, but that only one person in a party would need to buy it for the entire group to play so that friends could still have a session without everyone needing to splash out on it.
I wouldn't see DLC as microtransactions.
What was that monster hunting game Turtle Rock destroyed with micro-transactions? Maybe they've learnt a lesson.
Evolve and I believe a lot of the monetisation of that game was driven by the publisher.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:16 pm

It was destroyed by being crap :p

This is fine, it’s definitely making me want to install L4D again. It’s about as fun as World War Z I guess. I really don’t like the bosses like the Ogre.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm

It looked shite alright

The bosses are a pain but at least you can run away from some of them. I tried the Swarm mode the other day, 4 players are human and 4 are special Ridden. Didn't care for it probably wouldn't bother with it again.

Ride, rode and ridden are slang in Ireland for having sex so it always gets a guffaw out if me when it's said in game :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:48 pm

Evolve was a really cool concept that was poorly executed. The original gameplay was a good chunk of the way there to being neat, but then their terrible DLC model killed the game so they relaunched it as a free to play thing with even more DLC and totally rebuilt a bunch of gameplay systems which completely ruined it. Very much a case of a small team having a half cooked idea but no vision to fully see it through and then being forced into a corner to monetise it as much as possible by their publisher.

Swarm is the biggest disappointment with B4B in my opinion. It's just a boring survival mode in closed off arenas. Not even on the same level as the L4D versus mode which let you run through an entire standard campaign, but then it's quite clear that the level design (for Act 1 at least) wasn't done with a versus mode in mind. The map feels a lot more claustrophobic than the huge spaces in L4D which gave infected players areas to spawn and stalk the survivors.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:51 pm

Mantis wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:48 pm
Swarm is the biggest disappointment with B4B in my opinion.
Nah. "Ridden".

They are bloody zombies, stop trying to make them something else.

Plus the blood needs to stop looking like ketchup, unless you are Sly's daughter watching dad play it. The big cartoon splooges are rubbish, I want gore and dismemberment. And in the game.

Completely up for a L4D marathon playthrough too btw...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:03 pm

Snowy wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:07 am
So when is the next session then? I can do most days, but will be available a little later on Wednesday as will be in the office.
Mantis wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:10 am
Any time other than today and Thursday for me.
Shall we try for tuesday evening then?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:11 pm

Tomorrow sounds fine for me

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:24 pm

Should be good for me, sometime after half 6 preferably as I'm oop norf for work tomorrow so won't be back until early evening.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:36 pm

Might try and join in this time. I have a mic now but never actually used it in a game.