Saints Row Reboot

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Saints Row Reboot

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:39 pm

Even if the driving is done well I don't think it can ever reach a point where I will actually enjoy doing it so will take fast travel over it any day. I think for me open world games set in cities just don't work anymore, I don't mind exploring a world on foot like in Odyssey as the vistas are great and there is a nice variety but in a city there is only so much you can do with a bunch of buildings.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:48 pm

The GTA series I have always enjoyed, just hooning around in various vehicles. For me they got better with 4 and then again with 5 as the vehicles gained real heft and momentum, but then I love driving games so that was always going to be an element I enjoyed!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:56 pm

GTA5 is the last open world game where I really enjoyed just bombing around in the fast vehicles too. There was something inherently fun in the physics for that game. Many other driving sections put me to sleep because of how poorly the cars interact with the world, Sleeping Dogs and Watchdogs were particularly bad for it.

Death Stranding is an outlier for me because the entire core of the game is about walking across the map and trying to navigate across difficult terrain with a big cargo load without ruining it. I'm playing through it at the minute and really really enjoying the feeling of setting up ladders up cliffs or rappelling down them. It's a very chilled out experience and can be very hauntingly beautiful at times with the general quiet ambience combined with the Dark-esque soundtrack.

Saints Row never really got driving down particularly well though. Though the janky physics did make for some hilarity, especially with the insurance fraud minigame in SR2.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:14 pm

I am throughly enjoying Mafia Definitive Edition. Lost Haven is amazing city just to walk / drive in.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:32 pm

I even didn't mind the driving in LA Noire *ducks*

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:14 pm

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:45 pm

It looks fucking awful. I was never a huge fan of the series to begin with (the last one ripped off Prototype 1 & 2 without being nearly as cool), but this - this really does look arse.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:18 am

I think Saints Row IV was very much aping superhero style games rather than ripping off Prototype.

Generally the Saints Row games have been underrated starting with 2 which was superior to GTA at the time in terms of controls and gameplay. It was the first open world game to have proper, decent gunplay. Three is probably one of my favourite open world games ever, just an explosion of nonsense with some great set pieces. This reboot seems kind of soulless by comparison but if you asked me what I wanted from a new Saints Row game I don't think I could tell you.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:34 pm

This game is due out in less than a month and well, watch the entire video and make up your own mind. I really need to stop watching coverage of it now as quite honestly I think they should delay until December or even into 2023. Difficult to believe we had to wait all this time for something new and this is the end result. Bring on the reviews.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:39 pm

As soon as I heard all the bloody hipster speak from the protagonists I knew it was not for me. It just looks really dull and boring, which for a series that has always thought it was funny is a bit damning.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:31 am

I'm confused, it looks and sounds like every other Saints Row game to me.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:07 am

Hmmm not watched much of the recent stuff, let me see if I can find the video that turned me off it...

There you go. Looks bloody awful I reckon. At least the preceding games had you playing gangsters, somehow Starbucks Kidz paying off student loans just doesn't cut the mustard.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:27 am

Oh yeah, I remember the announcement trailer, it looked dull as hell compared to the games I was familiar with (I played 3 and 4). I could just imagine what the gameplay would have looked like had it stuck to what the trailer showed, and it all boiled down to a bit of driving and a gunfight - none of the bouncing-off-the-walls madness the later games had.

I was pleasantly surprised when the real game turned out to be less tediously down to earth and had more of the usual Saints Row feel, with wingsuits and Mad Max parodies and a character designer that lets you make sentient bags of dough that have been in a fist fight with the Hulk.

Still, I've never thought the series was actually that much fun to play. The shooting was never all that good, the driving wasn't exceptional either - although I honestly missed it when SR4 made it largely pointless, I think that was probably more to do with it feeling like the open world was just a hindrance instead of a feature, and I don't usually like open worlds anyway, so why was it bothering? It doesn't look like the new one is going to change that.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:54 pm

Looks like we are on the same page. I never enjoyed the SR games, they took the GTA blueprint but made titles that were inferior in every regard. The driving, the gunplay, the visuals, everything was a poor simulacrum of GTA. The activities were more of a series of mini-games, of which not many were good. I agree too that 4 took away the need for vehicles just as they managed to make the handling vaguely acceptable, instead giving you pointless map traversal which robbed the game of more enjoyment.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:23 pm

I'm glad I wasn't the first to say it :lol:

Yeah, I thought SR2 was alright (shame the driving was bugged on PC so as to be almost unplayable), never got into SR3 and never bothered picking up the rest.