Bar Staff

Re: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - epic RPG out now

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:36 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:15 pm
Wrathbone wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:44 pm
However, heavy armour also limits your maximum dexterity bonus
That's the bit that confuses me; what is the dexterity bonus? Is it just referring to when you add your dex stat to a d20 roll?
So, your character has a dex bonus based on their dex stat, and armour comes equipped with a max dex stat bonus. Generally heavy armour has a maximum bonus of 0 or 1, light armours 6 or more. It's pointless equipping one of these light armours on a character with a low dex stat and bonus, as they won't benefit from them (it adds to armour class), and also it's a bad idea to equip a highly dextrous character in a heavy armour, as it means they'll have a lower AC than they might have otherwise with a light armour.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:00 pm

Right, I get it now. I think I was confused by the term "dex bonus", I thought it was a different thing to the dex modifier. Thankfully I don't think I'd equipped anything hugely unsuitable to a party member. My party is now level 4, and I think I'm understanding the systems a little better. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to find the spellbook screen, and I hadn't actually prepared any spells. I also hadn't realised that abilities hadn't been automatically added to the hotbar. I did make use of the free respec for my main character, although all I did was change her from one subclass to another within the Ranger class. Now that she has access to magic, she's a little more interesting.

I think this is the most time I've spent with a a PC RPG of this style; it's taken me a while to get into it, but that's more than the AD&D games of the 90s and early 2000s managed. I don't know whether that's entirely because I'm very interested in D&D these days, but it's certainly what prompted me to try it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:01 pm

I've played pretty much all those cRPGs from that period (and since), and genuinely think WotR is one of the best of the lot. It takes a little while to become familiar with all the systems, especially those where it differs from D&D, but it's well worth that investment.