Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - epic RPG out now

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - epic RPG out now

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:12 pm

Most of the timers are quite generous, and others are recurring ones that aren’t as crucial. I’d prefer no timers, but I never found them a problem in Kingmaker.

Nice to see more people picking it up now! :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:25 pm

I just want to say, this game has me utterly enthralled, can't get enough of it.

I love the free respec, so you can experiment with different builds.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:19 pm

Not had a massive amount of time to play it yet (about 10 hours in) but really enjoying it, on a par with Kingmaker though the tone is very different.

Out of interest, does the wider world come into play later or is it all focused on Kenabres?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:26 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:19 pm
Not had a massive amount of time to play it yet (about 10 hours in) but really enjoying it, on a par with Kingmaker though the tone is very different.

Out of interest, does the wider world come into play later or is it all focused on Kenabres?
Oh no, things have opened up massively. Honestly, I'm a little intimidated by the size of the world map! I'm about 70 hours in and have explored about a third of it from what I can gather :shock:

Even the crusade element I'm not minding as much now, when you build up your army a fair bit you can stomp most of the enemy forces quite quickly.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:30 pm

Excellent! I was prepared for a campaign centred around a single location, but secretly I was hoping for a proper world map. ;)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:18 am

110 hours and I'm still in Act 3 of 5 :shock:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:46 am

Blimey, I left few stones un-turned in Kingmaker and that took me a mere 90 hours! :shock:

I'm about 35 hours in, thoroughly enjoying WotR. Too early to say whether I prefer it to Kingmaker but it's at least on a par. Technologically it's far better and far stabler (I've only noticed one bug so far and it was cosmetic, fixed by a reload), and unlike Kingmaker I'd have no reservations recommending it to anyone who enjoys a good RPG romp.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:32 pm

Still loving this.

The new city you visit in Act 4 is probably one of the most interesting and creative of any RPG I've played. However, a word of advice - it's main innovation is that certain parts of it move around, blocking off areas you need to visit. The way these parts move around is not, as you would expect, based around timing, however, but around the movement of the camera. EG, if something is blocked off to you, if you move your camera around you should hit upon an angle where you're allowed to progress.

It was irritating until I figured that out.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:44 am

This game is monstrously big. Around 160 hours now and still plenty left to do in the final chapter. I'd be amazed if I finished it in under 180 hours :shock:

Still really enjoying it, although I'm going to take a day or two off playing it I think as starting to feel very slightly jaded having played it for so long. Game of the year so far, for me, for sure.

Also, I've bought Kingmaker, so will play that afterwards.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:51 am

Was just about to say similar! 60-something hours in and good grief this a fantastic game. I'm in the thick of Act 3 and the intrigue had me genuinely gripped last night.
Spoiler
I went to Areelu's secret lab. Against my better judgement, I took the knowledge from the book. I know it's going to backfire at some point, but I couldn't not take the gigantic carrot that the big bad was blatantly dangling before me. :lol:
I will say that I think the kingdom management side of it was handled better in Kingmaker, but the army side of it (which is new) works pretty well. I'm at the point now where I have two powerful armies and two powerful enemy armies which are stationary but beyond what I can handle, so there's an impasse. While this could be tedious, it's actually surprisingly tense (and thematically appropriate) as I slowly reinforce my armies and try to find every last shred of advantage I can push before things inevitably get worse.

This isn't just one to recommend - it's undoubtedly essential for anyone who has the remotest interest in party-based RPGs.
Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:44 am
Also, I've bought Kingmaker, so will play that afterwards.
I think you'll really enjoy it. The feel of the game is very similar, even if some of the details are different. The intro is a lot gentler, too. Each has its own strengths and flaws, but on the whole I'm already happy to say WotR is the better game.

Just... grab a guide for Act 4 in Kingmaker and put it on easy. For your sanity. :lol: It doesn't last long in the grand scheme of things but that entire bloody section gave me gaming PTSD.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:05 am

Will do! I'm not ashamed to admit that for a few battles in WOTR I've knocked it down a difficulty level, as I prefer to keep cruising through the game rather than beat my head against a brutally difficult encounter over and over. But I suspect a degree of that is my unfamiliarity with some of the rules and spell effects (I doubt I could even beat a group of mobs on Core difficulty, which some people seem to be playing quite happily!)

One of the best recommendations I can give is that even 160 hours in I still really want to go back to the start and experiment with other classes and builds. I started as a bloodrider, but completely respecced about halfway through to sword saint as I'd read that was a lot of fun and bloodrider was feeling a bit one-note. But I'd really like to try something like the kineticist or alchemist. To say nothing of the different mythic paths as well.

I'd honestly have little hesitation placing it in the pantheon of great RPGs alongside things like BG2.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:19 am

I've had a couple of moments so far where I had to turn the difficulty down after repeated failures. Like you say, I prefer to keep the game going.

You may want to install the rotate camera mod for Kingmaker. I never bothered as the game is designed around a fixed perspective and it never bothered me, but after nearly 200 hours in WotR it might be jarring to not be able to rotate.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/31

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:19 am
I've had a couple of moments so far where I had to turn the difficulty down after repeated failures. Like you say, I prefer to keep the game going.

You may want to install the rotate camera mod for Kingmaker. I never bothered as the game is designed around a fixed perspective and it never bothered me, but after nearly 200 hours in WotR it might be jarring to not be able to rotate.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/31
Nice, that's a very good point. Does Kingmaker have a turn-based mode as well, would like to have that as well for similar reasons!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:29 am

It does - it was added in one of the patches. I've not used it much in either game but it looks like they work similarly.

It'll be interesting to see how the dialogue in Kingmaker holds up after the substantial improvements to quality in WotR. It's not the best, but at least it's not at Two Worlds levels of "Forsooth!" and "Verily!". :lol:

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:21 pm

Kingmaker wise, I've reached Level 4 in my Party now and feel like things are gelling, finally getting a handle on the mechanics. I'm close to ending the first chapter and quite enjoying it, definitely the most Baldurs Gate like experience I've had since playing the originals. I'm playing it turn based.

I'll be looking to pick up Wrath of the Righteous if the quality of this is anything to go by.