TGA Ghosts - co-op goodness for all

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Lenny Solidus

Re: TGA Ghosts - co-op goodness for all

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:54 am

So then, the TGA Ghosts have now returned to The Division 2 and as always are comprised of differing people from fun session to fun session in 4 player slots that being myself, Snowy, Raid the ever-testicular pounding El Gaucho and friend from across the pond Soli depending on who is about. At this point in time some of us have been playing co-op games together for nearing 18 long years and entire countries have existed for less time. Imagine that.

There is just something so completely effusive about our group, not only do we always and I do mean always get the job done (eventually) but the continued sense of being committed to the combined ending of all the bads coupled with our wonderful collective banter sharing of our ever-evolving builds or as we always tend to do just downright purely taking the piss out of one another be it subtle or outright makes every single session a true joy. Having now taken the chance on if I should return to the game after it completely deading my previous PC into the darkest oblivion was always a very nervous oh so cautious one - but I'm more than happy to say that the game runs very well when there's not the odd lag spike that pauses me still mid fight and I resume and I'm dead or downed. Massive's connection services can often be a bit well, shite.

Being a part of the group exploring the excellently realised DC together is the kind of cooperative gaming experience you excitedly contemplate having while making your journey back home later that evening, and you're only taking the bus because you are willfully ignoring your online friends fairly consistent ear bickering to learn to bloody well drive so as to get you into the thick of things that little bit quicker. :P

I love our sessions I really honestly do, yes sometimes we fail together but we never leave a session defeated because tbf it pretty much goes very much to plan if we don't get overwhelmed, we kick ass we take no prisoners and we leave no man behind or fallen - the majority of the time at least and then they respawn ten miles away.

I know we tend to move from game to game a great deal as our combined interest in said game ebbs and flows but Div 2 truly is one experience with such a vast amount of content and a pretty significant back-end game (we can completely ignore and still have more than enough to keep us occupied) and as such I am kinda hoping this one remains a more long-term fave as the challenge. Only now things are just starting to get interesting as enemies bring out more and more new toys to test our little band of merry men and we are more than prepared to take on that challenge.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:12 pm

Lennyquantum wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:54 am
only now things are just starting to get interesting as enemies bring out more and more new toys to test our little band of merry men and we are more than prepared to take on that challenge.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:05 pm

;)

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:55 am

I'm definitely enjoying the D2 revival that we've been having of late. It will be no surprise to those that know my present life challenges that having good friends to game with and take my mind off things for a bit is a godsend. While I might not be too chatty, rest assured that I'm 100% focused and invested in what's happening to our group and paying attention to every detail I possibly can. D2 really does have enough diversity of content - both in challenges and in equipment - that we can each be completely kitted out to offer the best help to each other, and for the sake of finishing any particular mission. I do personally love my rolling mines and can't seem to give them up! :) And I've recently acquired, earlier today, my favorite rifle of all time, so I'm happy! On another note, it's quite interesting to me to be running around the streets of Washington DC, as I've spent a few hours wandering about the Mall, many years ago, and in fact one of the safe houses in the game is the donut-shaped Hirshhorn Museum, which was my personal favorite spot to visit.

Having our PW/GA Ghosts for all these years is simply astounding, honestly. I doubt many other forums or websites or clans can say they've been at it for almost twenty years now. Those old GRAW and FEAR days are still floating around in my head, even as we make new memories several times a week in D2 - oh, and Breakpoint sometimes, and, a few years ago, Wildlands. Thanks guys for all the memories, past, present, and future 8-)

This fellow at the Hirshhorn was absolutely stunning to see in person... Warning, sculpture by Ron Mueck of a very large, very naked obese man
Spoiler
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

eny

Post by eny » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:42 am

I have never played D2, is it worth me buying it? I see you guys playing regularly, would love to join you, but don't want to barge in on a regular thing. The base version is cheap atm, I take it you are not on the NY expansion? I think I will buy it anyway and have a play around.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:14 am

Did you ever play the original Mark? If so it is just an evolution on that.

It is good fun though, and we have had some absolutely mental battles within it. One at the weekend saw us fighting for control of a hotel and getting swarmed by legendary-level enemies. To make matters harder, it also attracted nearby low level enemies, but when you are in the middle of a crossfire trying desperately to thin the elites, having rank and file adds piling in is not helpful. We won the day but man it was a battle of the ages.

As with everything we play, everyone is welcome. The only challenge is that the maximum team size is 4, and we already have 5 players (Dave, Todd, Chris, Alex and I) so there won't always be space for everyone.

You might enjoy it, you might not. It is very MMO, so be prepared for LMG-ing enemies in the face 100 times to knock them down. It would make for an amazing tactical shooter, but that is absolutely not the game, it is a cover-based looter-shooter. It also has way more complexity than it needs! Still fun though.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:16 am

Agree with Ian's write-up. Definitely looter-shooter type, and the game explicitly rewards careful exploration of a gigantic map. There's hidden areas absolutely everywhere. There are many missions that have extra "secret rooms" that can be opened by destroying a power panel, for example. I've started, during my solo hours, picking a street and going down it at a walking pace. There are homes that are open, might need to jump into a window or clamber up some scaffolding in order to get in. Then there's the entire Recalibration Station thing, that adds a nerdy depth to the guns and equipment, along with another station where you can create guns and such from blueprints that are awarded from missions. The extra kinda-magical "skills" stuff is also really fun to use, e.g., for my dude I have some rolling explosive balls that seek out bad guys, and I've got them buffed all to hell and back, so they're super handy. Would love to have you join us, hope you pick it up!
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:09 am

The only crux if you have yet to buy it Mark bud is that you will require The Division 2 - Warlords of New York - Expansion (DLC) to keep in line with the rest of us, I do believe Raid said he got it for around 7 to 10 pounds. It adds an entirely new map and the 100 floor Summit challenge we have yet to even tackle.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:51 am

No, I never touched the original either. I have bought the base D2 in the sale and will potter about in that for now and see how I go. Would love to join you guys but don't want to take anyone's spot, so happy to leave if ever a regular wishes to join. I will keep an eye on the expansion as it is beyond me at the mo. Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments.

– Abraham Lincoln

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:08 pm

It's worth noting that although I have picked the Warlords of NY expansion up (£8 on CD keys) we've not even looked at the content yet as a group. There's a ton of stuff to do in the base game yet, though I'm a little hazy on where some of the boundaries lie.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:18 pm

Hey Mark man, I just picked up the expansion for you and will dm you the code soon.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:30 pm

Aw mate, you didn't need to do that! But I appreciate it, thank you so much! I was just on the CD keys site looking!🙏

– Abraham Lincoln

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:20 pm

Lennyquantum wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:18 pm
Hey Mark man, I just picked up the expansion for you and will dm you the code soon.
Hope he enjoys the base game then :lol:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

eny

Post by eny » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:51 pm

Just dabbling now and enjoying it so far! Making my way to the first settlement, looting everything I can on the way. Are lag spikes normal (2-5 secs)? Also just got my first game lock-up, going to have to hard-quit, but getting the hang of it generally thanks! Will wait till I'm levelled up nearer to your toons until I join in, as just still getting familiar ATM.

– Abraham Lincoln

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:09 pm

The game does a really good job of scaling everything when you're in a party, so getting to the same level isn't as big a concern as you might think. I've not had a single session where I've felt over or underpowered despite teaming up with people of significantly higher or lower levels.