Gotham Knights October 25th

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Lenny Solidus

Gotham Knights October 25th

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:04 am

After watching some newly released gameplay videos it dawned on me that the WBM devs are taking a great deal of direct combat and gameplay creativity influences from Insomniacs Spider-Man game, I would say even considerably so if you watch this just put up new video...........

Am I correct in saying there is no active counter? Surely not. The reception for the game has not been at all great so far with even the cancellation of last gen versions not really swaying things all that much. Clearly they are in the final process of ramping up marketing as heavily as they can in final attempt to turn the tide to that of a more positive one, we have the new Saints Row not looking all that clever as it is and this game in particular has also already seen a significant delay. I myself am seeing a sort of Spider-Man meets Arkham Knight hybrid style experience on the cards. What are everyone elses thoughts, are you in or are you firmly out?

Gotham Knights releases 25th October 2022.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Lenny Solidus

Re: Gotham Knights October 25th

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:45 pm

https://www.gamesradar.com/gotham-knigh ... ober-2022/
Does not seem there is much interest in this, the more I see from it personally the more it looks like WB Games Montreal were partially influenced by Insomniacs own Spider-Man games - you all know how much of a fan of Arkham Origins I was.

Yep, the UI on so many levels looks horrendous. Cheap and cluttered to boot, ShillUp makes many valid points concerning the city itself too in some videos it looks occupied, in others completely deserted. I'm not really sure what to think now.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:24 am

I think this game has been looking pretty rough and reading some of the previews this last week it doesn't sound like the final game will be up to much.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:53 am

Eurogamer seemed to like it, but at £50 I'm not minded to take a chance, I don't think.

Edit: talking about Zoe from the video team, a journo on the EG website was far less positive about it.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:58 pm

It'll probably get dumped on Game Pass in a few months anyway as no bugger is going to buy it.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:43 pm

Honestly I haven't heard much about it. I am not much of a comic book afficionado these days and knew none of the 'heroes', nor did any of them look particularly interesting. Aaaand Spider Man Miles Morales is out soon-ish on PC. Aaaaaaaand I still have all the Spiderman DLC to play through.

So no, not much interest from this quarter.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:11 pm

10 Days and counting.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:39 pm

Nope, not a flicker of interest from this quarter...
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:07 am

So the devs in their infinite wisdom decided to announce on the official discord all but FIVE DAYS away from release that Gotham Knights will only target 30fps on current gen consoles - no 60fps performance mode. Fans are going nuts cancelling pre-orders and they quite possibly just torpedoed their own game. What was the game running at on last gen consoles before they pulled the plug? I thought this was the entire point of dropping them. $70 - current gen only game - 30fps. :lol:

Why did they not just stick to a 60fps mode for solo and cap at 30fps in co-operative mode?

Addition -
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/pc-will- ... ith-60fps/

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:08 pm

Huh, funnily enough the co-op feature was the only thing to make me even think about this one twice. Four pretend heroes in Batman-land mightn't be a bad pastime.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:20 pm

The discourse around this is truly terrible. A developer from Rocksteady put a thread out either the same day or the day before having a go at the Xbox Series S saying it was rubbish and holding games back, so people are now claiming that this is the reason why Gotham Knights is running at 30fps which is laughably dumb. Especially as some gaming sites are running with this reasoning as news.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:23 am

PCG - 49%

https://www.pcgamer.com/gotham-knights-review/
The four heroes can't match how perfect Batman was as a videogame protagonist. He's a walking Swiss army knife of gadgets and fighting techniques, all of which is at your disposal. But Gotham Knights killed him, split his body into four parts, and forces you to play as one severed limb at a time.
Oof.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:34 am

Most reviews have it around a 7 which as everyone knows is an Edge 5. I liked this quote from a review.
For all its sins, for its shortcomings, low frame rates on consoles, bland open-world stuff and predictable plotting, for all of that, during the middle act it is absolutely the high water mark for concealed doors in video games.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:22 am

I think it's clear to see more and more that the delay that came about in early 2021 did so as a direct result of Avengers failing as a LSG, Gotham Knights was once pretty much intended to be released as one too would be my best guess - all the elements are there that it was. The game dropping last gen platforms while still being absolutely plagued with performance issues and a current gen 30fps cap - it just tells you that the game had a sudden change of heart development period, one that reviews and the horrible reception will tell you something went very, very wrong. Yet for all of this, the game seems to be selling far better than you would expect, it is a Batman related game after all so I guess that was a given. Another completely broken but sold incredibly well game, yay.

I don't know if WB Montreal can do enough to bring the game up to scratch over time when it already had an entire year of delay, but it's evident that some seriously poor decisions were made and it was finally booted out the door anyway. For me this was the one game I had been looking forward to all year long, as of today it's not in my Steam purchased list even though I can pick it up for £38 but if owners of 4090's are seeing dips below 60 frames it looks like I won't be going anywhere near the game for a very long time, if at all. Guess I always have Arkham Oranges I could reinstall instead. This just makes me kinda sad.

What has AAA gaming turned into?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:09 pm

the fatest way to turn it into a live service
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4