TGA Eville session on Gamepass version?

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Snowy
Local

Re: TGA Eville session on Gamepass version?

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:59 pm

That was an absolute blast, thanks all. Shame I was the murderer so often but even so!

What days can people do for the next round back on Among Us? Am around tomorrow evening and Sunday mid afternoon onwards, or most evenings next week.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:07 pm

Yeah, it's not a bad game by any means, but I just feel that the game mechanics kinda get in the way of the fun stuff, rather than adding to it. There's nothing wrong with complexity, my favourite moment of the night was my accusing Dave of being the murderer because I'd been chasing him around time at night after he stumbled through my guard klaxon thing, and I didn't realise that other players might be awake at night, but I don't think player confusion is as much fun as the outright deception that Among Us promotes. Among Us also has the genuine terror of realising that another player is following you, because the murder time and game time aren't separated, and while I think Eville allows this, there's still separation that meant I felt safer during the day.

I'll happily play it again with you folks, but my preference is for Among Us.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:03 pm

I had a fun time, but perhaps in that way that you'll have a fun time playing a game with a bunch of friends almost irrespective of what that game actually is.

Happy to play this or Among Us, whatever is the popular choice. :)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:08 pm

I agree with Chris, though I think the more we get used to the mechanical elements of the game the less they will get in the way. It was absolutely hilarious to be randomly woken up in the middle of the night though and then spend the rest of it bewildered whilst being chased by a guard trying to murder you.

The main pitfall for it is that there's just too much for the round lengths. There's very little actual intrigue and deduction because everyone is just too busy constantly and I'm not sure that will be resolved by people understanding the classes more. Among Us is definitely better in that regard because the tasks are simple, randomly allocated and there isn't the added complexity of the different day/night stages.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:55 am

I think by the end of the session we'd all collectively decided just not to bother doing the quests, as they're not very interesting and their value was lower than just following one another around trying to work out what the little snippets of evidence meant. The deduction is the fun part, not collecting mushrooms.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:26 am

There definitely needed to be more balance in terms of how much impact the missions had on the villager progress bar. If the effect was at least double what it was when I did that fishing one, I could see it being a decent route to success for the villager team, although you'd need to be in a group you could organise into doing it together.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:33 am

I'm still not convinced that the quests are part of the win condition, I think the tutorial tells you right from the off that the villagers win by killing the conspirators. The quests are there to let you earn enough money to buy items that help protect you from being murdered.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:14 am

Raid wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:33 am
I'm still not convinced that the quests are part of the win condition, I think the tutorial tells you right from the off that the villagers win by killing the conspirators. The quests are there to let you earn enough money to buy items that help protect you from being murdered.
But the blue bar!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:54 am

I've looked into it, and you're right, it does give one side an immediate win if it's filled, but seemingly it does something if half-filled too. Half-filled for the villagers means everyone stays awake that night, and half for the conspirators means the world is blanketed in thick fog (which presumably makes it easier for them to kill unnoticed).

I'm not sure how much that would have added to our game last night, it doesn't feel like 5 villagers and 1 conspirator is really enough to make any of that worthwhile, but it's something we can pay attention to next time.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:56 am

I feel like the games don't last anywhere near long enough to even make it worthwhile to earn gold to buy items to protect yourself, let alone bother trying to fill up the progress bar. I ignored the quests every game and didn't feel like I was at a disadvantage at all.

Considering that a higher player count would mean more killers too, so games aren't likely to last a great deal longer even with more people.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:09 am

I'd say items do have some utility - as the conspirator you can buy boots from the blacksmith that allow you to walk over the traps laid by the trapper, which would definitely have been useful for me had I realised it before then :lol:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:04 pm

Me too, although thankfully Bird's colour-blindness meant that I got away with stepping on Raid's trap, even it if did mean Alex lived to scream my guilt for another game-day ;)
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:17 pm

What's the verdict then, I can do any day this week. Is there a D&D game or similar we need to avoid? I know Chris is often busy Tuesdays too.

Mon/Wed/Thur? Whats the preference?
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:36 pm

I just wanted to confirm whether we had a D&D session this week before committing. We don't, so I'm good for thursday.

Among Us at 8pm thursday then?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:00 pm

I'm up for whatever, and Thursday will be good for me!