Atomic Heart is out!

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Can't think of one

Atomic Heart is out!

Post by Can't think of one » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:46 pm

Atomic Heart is out and available on game pass, The reviews are (mostly) positive. It looks pretty good, Anyone here giving it a try?

Lenny Solidus

Re: Atomic Heart is out!

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:06 pm

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:32 pm

I've booted it up, only had half an hour and the game spent the first 5-10 minutes building a shader cache, advising me not to start the game until it had finished. The rest of the time I spent oggling the really stunning art design, the thing that attracted me to the game in the first place. The mechanical design in particular is seriously cool looking. I don't know what this thing is going to do when the game gets going, in the intro it's just sat there projecting a hologram, but even idling it's beautifully animated.

But even in this first twenty minutes or so of the slow-paced worldbuilding section, there are things that are at least vaguely unsettling. Firstly it's very pro-Soviet Union, which comes with the territory, but it also sings China's praises and an example of learning Korean is used to demonstrate a technology. Maybe this is just my Western bias showing but these things don't quite hit right in 2023.

The reviewers weren't kidding about the player character. He's a complete arsehole. Even in the first minutes of the game he's rude to everyone and everything except his boss.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:04 pm

without a FOV slider - its really hard in the combat because you cannot see the robots fighting you.

Played about 2 hours - its so, so. I like the setting and the Bioshock vibe to it but at times I am fighting the controls. Might give this up....

As for the whole Soviet thing - to be honest it completely passed me by as I take it to be SciFi / alternative universe. If someone thinks this is indoctrine or propaganda - you really need to get out more and develop a thicker skin.

One of the best games I played was Singularity and that was based in an alternative Soviet Union.
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:06 pm

The worst thing about the lack of an FOV slider was that I'm pretty sure it was cutting off the top and bottom of the viewport to match my ultrawide resolution. That's pretty unforgiveable in 2023.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:32 pm

https://www.pcgamesn.com/atomic-heart/f ... driver=mgg

An FOV patch is coming - I will wait till it comes out. If it leaves GamePass before the patch....oh well.

Not buying it
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4