Red Dead Redemption 2 [PS4, XBone] - PC in November

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [PS4, XBone] - PC in November

Post by Mantis » Mon May 11, 2020 12:12 pm

It doesn't take too long to get used to. I hated it at first but after a few hours I'm pretty deft with swapping things around my inventory in the heat of the moment. A stark comparison to when I first booted it up and often kept accidentally punching my horse and having it kick me into next week.

I still haven't touched the single player. I essentially use the multiplayer as a Wild West simulator. I pop on every few days to do the odd bounty hunt, a spot of fishing, treasure hunting and just soaking up the ambience of the world. It's very relaxing.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue May 12, 2020 7:44 am

Just let me know a time in advance Dave and will join you if I can.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue May 12, 2020 6:15 pm

I'm sure it is something that you can get used to, doesn't make it a good system.

I am yet to go back to the game since I posted, isn't really anything drawing me back, plus Yakuza 3 is a lot more fun, has better character and a more interesting story. I think part of it is I know it's a Rockstar game so there are going to be things I don't like and am going to have to put up with in order to get through it and I'm not sure I want to do that for
40+ hours.

eny

Post by eny » Tue May 12, 2020 6:44 pm

I've got a couple hundred hours in the single player, and utterly loving it. I spent a long time in chapter 2, just exploring, hunting crafting etc. Now advancing through the story, currently at Shady Belle, but about to move methinks.

This game is utterly sublime, and out on its own in the Rockstar universe, really gritty and well written, and massive in terms of gameplay. The world and the wildlife, and life in general, are exceptionally well realised, when you are up in the hills and the thunder starts you have to just stop, watch and marvel at it all. Fantastic game, that grows better the more hours you spend in it.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:48 pm

So I decided to give this another go as it was on Gamepass and I wanted to see how it looked in 4k. Firstly, I think it's the first console game I've played where the 4k feels like a big upgrade, as it's just such a good looking game to begin with, and it's hard to believe how much detail there is in foliage and hair and fur that you don't really see at 1080p. It's stunning to look at.

I think I also get the game a little better now too. I've been watching Andy Farrant play through it on Outside XBox, and it's given me more of a sense of attachment to the characters that I didn't have when I first played it on release. It's so much more about the characters and their interaction with the world than the gameplay loop, which I still think is pretty weak. Hell, I reckon about 75% of the opening couple of hours is spent just holding the A button to auto-horse your way across the landscape in cinematic view. The controls are still needlessly fiddly and the worst part of the game, but I think I'm getting a better grip on them now that I'm using an XBox pad over a Playstation one (which I just don't have the muscle memory for).

The game is leaving Gamepass soon, so it's unlikely I'm going to continue much further (unless I see it dirt cheap, but I suspect that won't happen any time soon), but I think I've enjoyed it more the second time around. I'm not quite as far in as I was on the PS4, I think the last thing I did on that save was breaking Micah out of prison in Strawberry, whereas on the XBox I've only just done the legendary bear hunt. Still, I think I'm more in the mood for the more laid back experience rather than just expecting a high-octane cowboy adventure. I'll be tempted to pick up the PC version once I upgrade my GPU, as this is a game that I think would really suit an ultrawide monitor.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:48 pm
So I decided to give this another go as it was on Gamepass and I wanted to see how it looked in 4k. Firstly, I think it's the first console game I've played where the 4k feels like a big upgrade, as it's just such a good looking game to begin with, and it's hard to believe how much detail there is in foliage and hair and fur that you don't really see at 1080p. It's stunning to look at.

I think I also get the game a little better now too. I've been watching Andy Farrant play through it on Outside XBox, and it's given me more of a sense of attachment to the characters that I didn't have when I first played it on release. It's so much more about the characters and their interaction with the world than the gameplay loop, which I still think is pretty weak. Hell, I reckon about 75% of the opening couple of hours is spent just holding the A button to auto-horse your way across the landscape in cinematic view. The controls are still needlessly fiddly and the worst part of the game, but I think I'm getting a better grip on them now that I'm using an XBox pad over a Playstation one (which I just don't have the muscle memory for).

The game is leaving Gamepass soon, so it's unlikely I'm going to continue much further (unless I see it dirt cheap, but I suspect that won't happen any time soon), but I think I've enjoyed it more the second time around. I'm not quite as far in as I was on the PS4, I think the last thing I did on that save was breaking Micah out of prison in Strawberry, whereas on the XBox I've only just done the legendary bear hunt. Still, I think I'm more in the mood for the more laid back experience rather than just expecting a high-octane cowboy adventure. I'll be tempted to pick up the PC version once I upgrade my GPU, as this is a game that I think would really suit an ultrawide monitor.
Still quite early on in the story then, you have loads more content to go yet so will definitely be worth picking up on PC, and yes ultrawide looks glorious. Also you get to mess around online with me :D
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=