Yakuza 0 [PC, PS3, PS4]

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Snowy
Local

Yakuza 0 [PC, PS3, PS4]

Post by Snowy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:32 pm

So I picked this one up on the back of lots of positive reviews and low price. I loved Sleeping Dogs with a passion and thought another game where you are a badass Yakuza might be fun.

What a weird game. It is kinda an RPG interspersed with being a vaguely clunky fighting game, crammed with mini-games. And I like it. I think.

One thing that can grate is the amount of dialogue - I am talking close to MGS levels of chat, all in subtitled Japanese. Thankfully it is actually opening up a decent story or I may have been beaten down by it all.

Anyhow, almost nothing like Sleeping Dogs bar the premise, but it is fun. I think.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Pew-Pew

Re: Yakuza 0

Post by Pew-Pew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:17 pm

:x I ended up buying this. It better be good m8.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:27 pm

Yep, nothing like "I like this. I think" for a ringing endorsement :lol:

Funnily enough I've restarted Sleeping Dogs this week after picking it up in the recent week-long Steam sale, enjoying it, not sure why I never completed it the first time round.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:42 pm

Speaking of Sleeping Dogs... I have the Definitive Edition (or something) that I got for cheap but it didn't run great for me on my old PC. Tempted to play it now, but is a controller mandatory?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Gibby wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:42 pm
Speaking of Sleeping Dogs... I have the Definitive Edition (or something) that I got for cheap but it didn't run great for me on my old PC. Tempted to play it now, but is a controller mandatory?
I wouldn't say so, I'm playing on M&K. The only strangeness is having to press enter and backspace to accept and leave menus, but that aside it's perfectly fine.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Yakuza 0 is brilliant. In fact the whole series of games are top notch. I'd argue the combat is just as good as Sleeping Dogs.

Make sure you do as many of the side stories as you can as they are some of the best bits.

It's also a bit of a slow start which I've always found part of the charm as it allows you to get a feel for the characters and the world. Once it gets going though it goes some places.

For around £12 on PC it's an absolute steal.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:47 am

So when I say that I think I like it, I am genuinely being serious :)

In games, lengthy unskippable exposition is usually an instant turn-off for me - I forget which MGS title it was (one where you had a camo suit), but the endless fucking waffle combined with stupid boss fights made me give up, for all that I actually enjoyed the rest of the game. In this though, it is keeping me interested.

'I think' also because it is made up of so many little pieces as well as the core game. For example so far I have tried batting in a baseball cage (I sucked), played with one of those 'grab the plushie toy' game cabinets, played proper 80's Space Harrier on an arcade cabinet (it was as bad as I remember it), gone 10-pin bowling, sung karaoke (I sucked) and been dancing (I sucked).

The side quests are very quirky too. Thus far I have rescued a schoolgirl from a pants-selling ring, trained a dominatrix to stop being polite, taught a punk band how to be punk and bluffed my way through working as producer on a TV show.

Interesting comment re Sleeping Dogs too - I have never played it with a gamepad and equally never had an issue with the controls.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=