DOOM: Eternal [PC, PS4, Switch, XBone] - 2019?

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Raid
Local

Re: DOOM: Eternal [PC, PS4, Switch, XBone] - 2019?

Post by Raid » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:24 pm

In every Doom game I've ever played, I haven't really seen the fuss over the super shotgun. It's always been too slow for my liking, regardless of its stopping power, and in '2016 the addons to the combat shotgun made it vastly more versatile. Doom Eternal's though, with the meathook that pulls you from miles away right up to the briefly stunned enemy's face allowing you to unload both barrels and reduce them to paste? Fucking bliss.

I'd been struggling with the Arachnotrons up until this point; their ranged weapon is seriously powerful and, while you can remove it with a well placed heavy cannon sniper round or sticky grenade, it's a small target when you move as quickly as you do in this. But they die to a pair of super shotgun blasts, so you hook them, unload once, dash backwards to avoid the reprisal melee attack (they do a lot of damage up close too), then dash back as you complete the reload and kill them.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm

Ok, it just keeps on giving. Spend some weapon points and spend half an hour skewering things and blowing them to pieces while hooked, and your hook now sets the enemies on fire, meaning you get an explosion of armour shards when you kill them.

\m/

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:37 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:02 pm

He also said he doubted he'd work with iD again. Soundtrack is a heafty percentage of the greatness of Doom 2016.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:13 pm

That's a shame because he is an excellent composer. I've watched a few workshops where he breaks down how he makes some of the sounds and what effects he runs them through and it's all really fascinating stuff. I don't think another composer would be able to match his standards if they did a Doom 3 without him.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:26 pm

It's ridiculous that they'd give the job to someone else given that the soundtrack was one of the best parts of the 2016 game. I'm guessing either Gordon demanded too much money, or more likely in my opinion, someone at Bethesda didn't want to pay him to do the job.

I couldn't have put into words what I thought was wrong with Eternal's soundtrack, but it just isn't as memorable. It still ticks the same boxes - keeping the adrenaline up, but I just don't notice it as much.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon May 18, 2020 10:41 am

The Denuvo anti-cheat that was recently installed has resulted with the game getting review bombed

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Mon May 18, 2020 11:38 am

Raid wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:26 pm
It's ridiculous that they'd give the job to someone else given that the soundtrack was one of the best parts of the 2016 game. I'm guessing either Gordon demanded too much money, or more likely in my opinion, someone at Bethesda didn't want to pay him to do the job.

I couldn't have put into words what I thought was wrong with Eternal's soundtrack, but it just isn't as memorable. It still ticks the same boxes - keeping the adrenaline up, but I just don't notice it as much.
It was actually more complicated than that, or so say iD:

I guess you could sum it up with both parties agreeing to deadlines that couldn't really be kept (iD with the promise before release, Mick Gordon with his deadline), so they had to have their own audio engineer finish off the rest of the tracks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:38 pm

So I've gone back to this now that I've got my beefier system (the game really chugged in some areas before the upgrade), and man, the later game can be pretty frustrating. There's one enemy in particular that's an absolute pain in the arse to fight; he's introduced as a mini-boss at first, but eventually gets thrown in among other demons. TIf he's too close he'll use a shotgun, and too far he'll use a powerful ranged attack that's difficult to dodge. At all times other than the split second after his eyes flash green, he deflects anything you shoot at him. He summons flaming spectral wolves that run at you and maul you up close. But, and this is the kicker, he has the same dash move you have. The helpful tips that flash up on loading screens tell you to keep him at mid-range to avoid his attacks, but how in the hell are you supposed to do that when he's basically teleporting around you? The only weapon you have that does enough damage to be effective in the moment he's vulnerable is the super shotgun, and I think he takes about 8-10 point blank volleys from that to kill (and at present I can only carry enough ammo for 12).

...and they get you to fight one of these bastards on a narrow bridge. Where you can't sidestep around him. And he and his damned wolf hit you when you get too close. And you get stuck on the bridge posts.

](*,)

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:45 am

Yeah the Maurauder is shit.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:20 pm

You know what else is fun? Going through one of the slayer gate ultra-hard encounters where you've just taken down two pain elementals, a pair of mancubi, an arch-vile and a goddamn cyberdemon (I think they're called Tyrants in this, but they're clearly the classic cyberdemon ignoring the boss redesign from 2016), along with a mix of about 100 imps, gargoyles and zombies in a tiny arena... and doing it on the first attempt without even using an extra life.. and then the game crashes to desktop before it quicksaves afterwards.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I never had a single technical problem with Doom 2016, and yet this has CTD'd twice since I picked it back up last week.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:42 pm

Fucking ouch mate :x

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:52 pm

On the one hand, yeah, pain in the arse, but on the other... I fucking love the slayer gates, I think they're one of the best additions to the game, so getting to do one again isn't the worst thing that could happen. What will be annoying is if I struggle to get through it a second time; I think this attempt went so well because I managed to take down the arch-vile (one of the biggest threats in this because they summon empowered demons) almost immediately, and there's a chance that I won't be able to repeat that.

Lee

Post by Lee » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:27 am

Maurauder was a real shitty implementation and just became a annoyance after the 3rd or 4th fight. I don't know how people think it's enjoyable. Wait for green eye flash and shotgun swap to ballista or something and repeat. Once you have that timing down it's just clear the areas of any other mobs while that one chases you then finish him off.

I also can't stand anything that locks you in doing some sort of action (hated glory kills in 2016 or using the chainsaw) while enemy AI can move around and be right there just as the short animation finishes to whack you before you can do much. I bet it on UV but won't bother returning to it to be do it on the higher ones like I did in 2016 or hunt for 100% completion. The ending part just plain sucks as you expect something a lot better to happen by then.

I honestly found the 2016 version better in story telling and setting and a far better progress system. They don't even bother to explain anything time wise between the games. Didn't get along with the stupid platforming either. Combat was nice due to the more meatier sounds on the gun. Some parts of the game looked gorgeous but the changes to the demons look made it cartoony and with the parts of demons coming apart like something out of Vivisector :lol:
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—