DOOM: Eternal [PC, PS4, Switch, XBone] - 2019?

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Jez

Re: DOOM: Eternal [PC, PS4, Switch, XBone] - 2019?

Post by Jez » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 am

Bethesda client??

Yet another bloody content delivery program to clutter up the desktop I take it?
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:16 am

Lee wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:27 am
One worry though is since Fallout 76 is being pushed onto the Bethesda client only, I wonder if this and RAGE 2 are going to be on it as well.
I think they have done that for Fallout 76 because it's probably going to be full of microtransactions and they want to get as much of that money as possible. I expect Doom Eternal and Rage 2 to still be on Steam.

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Jez wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 am
Bethesda client??

Yet another bloody content delivery program to clutter up the desktop I take it?

Yup.

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:16 am
Lee wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:27 am
One worry though is since Fallout 76 is being pushed onto the Bethesda client only, I wonder if this and RAGE 2 are going to be on it as well.
I think they have done that for Fallout 76 because it's probably going to be full of microtransactions and they want to get as much of that money as possible. I expect Doom Eternal and Rage 2 to still be on Steam.

The telling for me was them saying they haven't decided on it being on steam or not and lets be honest they would need a big name game to get people to install their client so I think it's more than likely to appear there then later on appearing on Steam after they've gotten the major sales. Just like ESO was.

Not a far reach when others have done likewise to get people to use their clients ala Origin and BF and that worked didn't it ;)

Overally cautious on all this crap myself. Did warn years ago that this would happen and we be installing clients from publishers just to play the games.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/doom-eternal/doom-eternal-mods
Doom Eternal will not have mod support at launch. After hearing the game’s developers speak at a roundtable Q&A during QuakeCon, we can say that much for certain. But id wants mods, and director Marty Stratton says that the studio has been revising its tech to make mods happen.

But first, Stratton says we need to “definitely quote this. I would never make guarantees on even Doom Eternal [having mods].”

Stratton says “We had made some technical decisions way back that just pushed us in a different direction than mods. We have spent the last several years making technical decisions that get us back towards being able to do mods.

“It is a real, long-term initiative of ours to get back to where we can do that. Again, we’ve been making a lot of technical decisions that allow the tech – everything, the rendering, the way we do the gameplay, the way our levels are set up – really trying to make the game and the game code more flexible. Kind of put it in more components, and more data-driven in a lot of ways, which is how you get the mod content.

“So I can’t say that it’s right on the horizon or right around the corner, but it’s important to me. It’s important to Robert Duffy, our CTO. We have definitely swung the pendulum back pretty far towards being able to that.”

Doom has a tremendous history of modding, to the point at which we’ve still been reporting on things like the Castlevania mod and the Doom loot box parody even within the past year. The lack of mod support was one of the big disappointments with Doom 2016, and since the new game is ditching SnapMap as well, it seems there won’t be any support for user-generated content on the Doom Eternal release date.

“I hope down the road,” Stratton says, “in the not near future but the not too distant future, we can have a better conversation about that.” So keep hope alive, but don’t keep it too alive.
I believe that when I see it. Too many times have people mentioned mod support after launch and nothing came about it
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Bethesda have been jumping at every opportunity to try and monetise the modding scene these last few years. I suspect that unless they can find more ways of doing that in the future that their interest and support for the modding community is only going to continue to dwindle.

Kind of ironic when you consider that it's usually the playerbase that fixes Elder Scrolls titles when the company releases them in a buggy, broken state.

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Aye pretty much the modders fix the game and then Bethesda takes the mods into their next game but make them just workable. And the cycle continues. If you have to install a ton of mods to fix your games each time then something is clearly fucked up.

If Doom Eternal does become their client only game, wonder if they will try to stick there creation club fingers into it. I'm sure they are salivating at how many modders have done some awesome work on the old Doom's over the years that dwarf's their own titles in numbers. And want to capitalise on it.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Fallout is a bigger name to bring people to their launcher than Doom, so not sure I buy them keeping Doom back specifically because they think that game will drive people to the platform. It could end up being part of a wider strategy with all their games coming to the launcher first though.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:00 pm

I can happily do without mods if Eternal is of the same quality as Doom was. I don't think any TES or Fallout game will survive anywhere near as well without full mod support.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:46 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:21 pm

erk.... wtf was that trailer.

Story? in DooM? Did they lose their minds? And why does it look so clean? rather than grimy and dirty? and the DooM guy redesign? Are they actually changing a working formula?

I hope the gunplay is still up to par, but that trailer did F all for me... :/
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:56 pm

elgaucho wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:21 pm
erk.... wtf was that trailer.

Story? in DooM? Did they lose their minds? And why does it look so clean? rather than grimy and dirty? and the DooM guy redesign? Are they actually changing a working formula?

I hope the gunplay is still up to par, but that trailer did F all for me... :/
Some people thought the story telling in the previous game was good. :?

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:18 pm

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:39 pm

I'm struggling to summon any enthusiasm for this game. I'd pretty much had my fill of Doom 2016 around half way through so top of the list of things I didn't want from a sequel is a game twice as long, closely followed by Doomguy lore.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:22 pm

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗