Elite: Dangerous [PC, PS4, XBone]

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Alan

Re: Elite: Dangerous [PC, PS4, XBone]

Post by Alan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:28 pm

You’re going to love the Orca ;)

Btw, do you know the trick to supercruise? Fly full speed to your destination till the ETA reads 7 seconds then immediately drop to 75% thrust (a hot key is ideal) and you’ll coast right in. I feel that’s the one thing I wish I knew 50 hours before I did.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:31 pm

Aye, Snowy taught me that one too. My Asp did come with a supercruise assist, which I assume is slower? I was thinking I'd replace it with a docking computer, but as I can now see beneath me I really don't think that's necessary either.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:45 pm

Nah no conflicting controls. You also get a warning that if you attempt that in the game. I had troubles before with the joytick and it was doing everything that was bound on that joystick if you touched the throttle. Fixed that before but just this boosting issue left.

Video of it from a while back of the fun trying to grab some black boxes.

Everything that is happening is just from the throttle being used. I'm not pressing anything else :lol:

I think in time I shall just get a Warthog HOTAS setup as I never hear of driver or build issues with them but at them prices you'd hope not.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:01 pm

Ok yeah, that's not what I was suggesting.

The Warthog HOTAS is... alright; it's better built than the X-55 but the stick still uses cheap parts in the places where it matters; the actual gimbal. The sensors are absolutely fine, but it's a heavy metal stick on a plastic ball joint, which leads to excess wear and the design means it suffers from the same stiction issues as every other mass produced stick. The throttle is much better, and I never had any issues with mine (other than the fact that the TDC slew control, the analogue stick on the grip, is a bit crap, but that's the same on every unit).

...and I actually have the throttle unit to sell if you're at all interested. As far as I'm aware the X-55 is two separate devices (ie: one doesn't connect to the other unit, which then connects to the PC via one USB cable), so it might work for you. I do have the stick base as well, but it's heavily used and wouldn't come with the grip (which I'm now using on my Virpil base). I could chuck it in for cheap with the throttle and you could look at doing a bit of maintenance on it that's something you're willing to look at.

Anyway, I've done two excursions in my new Asp looking for void diamonds, and each one has netted about 40 million. The first one was relatively quick, but I'd forgotten to stock up on limpets so it was cut short (I think I left dock with 15). The second was like extracting blood from an asteroid, and I think I found two deposits in over an hour. Literally the moment I found the second one, some pirates pulled up and demanded I give them 100k of cargo or they'd open fire. Well I wasn't going to give up my hard-earned treasure, so I stuck on silent running, and did close range orbits (I mean within 100m) of my asteroid until they lost interest and buggered off. I have no idea how much damage colliding with an asteroid does with your shields down, so this was perhaps not the wisest choice. :lol: I think if the guy had been on his own, I might have considered opening up with my single medium turreted gatling cannon, but there were three of them.

I will not submit to pirates damnit! :x

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:51 am

Lee, my X-52 has always had an oddity in E:D that one of the buttons simply will not work unless I have opened up USB Game Controllers from the control panel and then opened the X52 from there. Why not try opening that and see if it fixes your problem too?

Raid - that is very odd I have never seen new pirates turn up when you are mining, just the initial ones that spawn when you first drop in (and usually scan you then bugger off). Something to watch for! On the subject, never log out in an asteroid field when you have cargo in your hold, as when you log back in there will be an NPC ship spawn. Likewise never be tempted to visit anywhere else bar the station you are selling at once you have a hold full of cargo for the same reason.

Mining can be like that though. As I said to you, when we first arrived at the rings and on the very first pulse there was an asteroid with a core of void opals I was staggered. Extended flying around is quite common - all power to engines, boost a lot and move in a sweeping S pattern to cover as many different rocks as possible is my preferred way to do it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:54 am

I may take you up on the offer Raid once I have some spare cash then, thanks for the offer :)

I'll try that as well Snowy in the meantime or just disable the boost button to the right stick instead.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:24 am

Snowy thats weird because my X52 had two buttons that wouldnt work unless the X52 software window was open! :lol: I had a bunch of weird issues with that stick and ended up selling it ba while back. Happily rocking the cheapest of the cheap Thrustmaster T and I have a weird love for that cheap lump of crap ;)

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:23 pm

I've bought and mostly kitted out a Vulture as my small combat ship. I stuck a couple of large gimballed Beam Lasers on it to start, mostly because they didn't have the fixed mount versions in the station I was at, and I suspect I may replace one of them with a gimballed multi-cannon instead as even with four pips in weapons it runs through the capacitor in seconds. I suspect I don't actually need the gimbals though, the turn rate is so good that I'm pretty sure I could have a good go at fully manual aiming. I'm going to play around a bit and see if I can find a happy medium.

Incidentally, is there a way to remotely sell a ship? My Viper Mk.4 probably isn't going to be getting much use any more, but I don't want to fly 15 jumps just to sell it (I could spend that time mining and get so much more money).

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:19 pm

I don't know if you can sell it remotely but you can always get it sent to a station near you. Will take some time and cost depending on the size of the ship but I always find after a mining trip, it's way long enough for it to arrive.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:19 pm

Shipyard->transfer ship
When you select a ship to transfer it’ll give you the remote sell option.

Also Vulture is ship of fun.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:37 am

Agree. While the Fer De Lance was the biggest deal for me (through my wistful daydreams as a kid playing the original Elite of being able to fly different ships, especially the coolest looking one the FDL) the Vulture is utterly brilliant. Looks mean as hell and those looks are not deceiving!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:21 am

Just started dabbling in engineers and ooft this can be a bit tedious and obtuse. Still that extra jump range is nothing to sneeze at.....

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:34 pm

After some more faffing around I got the sticks working perfectly so no more boosting into stuff :D

Did some Mining last night in the wee hours and made close to 300m in about 2 hours on a trip. Also using the EDDI tool that uses TTS for a variety of things. Handy to know you are low on limpets before leaving the station *cough*

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:17 pm

Alan wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:21 am
Just started dabbling in engineers and ooft this can be a bit tedious and obtuse. Still that extra jump range is nothing to sneeze at.....
I posted that guide I am using a few pages back. It's definitely a big time sink to get into engineering. I only have two or three unlocked. I did a ton of material and data farming last time I played so it was nice I was able to max out an engineer upgrade with minimal trouble when I got to a new engineer.

Mogster

Post by Mogster » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:48 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:01 pm
The throttle is much better, and I never had any issues with mine (other than the fact that the TDC slew control, the analogue stick on the grip, is a bit crap, but that's the same on every unit).
The Deltasim slew upgrade is well worth doing on the Warthog Throttle. The kit replaces the horrible OEM mini stick with an XBox type mini stick. It’s not perfect, the throw on the stick is a bit long, but it is much much better.

https://deltasimelectronics.com/