Forged Battalion [PC]

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Forged Battalion [PC]

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 am

What is it with this week? Everyone has decided to release their small titles at the same time. This time it's Petroglyphs latest Forged Battalion. Thought I would flag it up as I know there are some fans of the studios past work on here. The hook with this game is that you design the units yourself.

Mantis
Landlord

Re: Forged Battalion

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 am

A few Steam reviews claim that beyond the customisation aspect there is very little to keep you playing as the game is fairly bare bones and is plagued with bugs and dodgy AI.

Petroglyph seem to be struggling to make much impact with their releases as of late. Grey Goo was a solid RTS, but 8-bit Armies and the subsequent spin-offs from that were a pretty big swing and a miss. You can't help but think that they're just throwing gimmicks at the wall to see which sticks among the RTS crowd at the moment.

It's such a shame to see how much this genre has fallen from grace. Between the 90s and early 2000s it was essentially the zenith of PC gaming and I couldn't put a number on how many excellent titles I frequently played.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:43 am

There was a time when Petro was near the top of my fav developers. I feel like they backed a few stupid horses (they spent so long on that fucking MOBA!) and now cant get the funding to make something as big as Grey Goo again. 8bit armies is fun but its too barebones. I notied its coming to PS4 for £23 and none of the trailers or bumf mentions the extra armies so it seems like they are putting out only the fake GDI for £23.......

I'll buy this out of obligation more than anything else but urgh.... from the amazing Universe At War to this just sucks :(
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:56 am

I forgot that they made Universe at War. Oh man, that was such an excellent game. Pity that it came out around the time that Microsoft were considering charging PC players for Game For Windows Live Gold just to play PC games online and all the bad publicity about the client completely killed that game in its tracks.